Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sams Loop Trail - Kalaloch - 01-10-12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 am 
USGS Gaging Station for Queets River 4400 cfs @ 6:00 am Temperature @ Amanda Park 33° F @ 8:30 am North half of loop clear of obstructions. One 24" blowdown, two 15" blowdowns, two dozen 6-10" blowdowns @ SE portion of loop. Trail slightly muddy in places. I walked the loop clockwise, beginning at the Ranger Station. It was a little nippy when I started. The fog was burning off the treetops along the river.
the Queets Sitka Spruce
looks like the top blew off
Confluence of Sams and the Queets
the trail picks up again at the end of the road
The trail skirts the gravel bars along Sams
Sams Loop Trail
I went up to Kalaloch to Beach 3 but it looked like somebody put too much soap in the wash
So I went down to Beach 1 and had some lunch
(maybe that should be in the snack thread) The burls are all lit up in the winter sun
I forgot to take my teacup with me at Beach 1, so I went down to South Beach to have dessert, a cup of tea, and watch the sun go down.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 am 
That looks like a delightful way to spend a day. I approve of your lunch choices!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Phil

Phil
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 am 
Pics look like a summer day. up.gif

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm 
Wow Ski! Even a mini pie for dessert! You have excellent choices in lunch. Looks like a great day.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 am 
I actually hauled two of those little pies up for the rangers, but when I got to Kalaloch the building was locked and nobody was home! Heck of a deal... havin' to eat my own pie!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 12, 2012 4:51 pm 
addendum 011212 I should have mentioned: On the south portion of the loop, just past the east end of Cowan Field, a small (ephemeral) stream meanders over and through the trail, making route-finding a bit difficult. If you're doing the loop clockwise, find the big clearing (Cowan Field) and look for shreds of flag tape. If you're doing the loop counter-clockwise, remember that the trail goes straight through the clearing. If you lose the trail (and are resigned to being lost), do not go south. Go north and eventually you'll break out onto the road. This is a good spot to get waylaid. A party of two lost the trail there years ago and became the subject of an SAR operation. (They found the road and drove out while SAR was looking for them.) (* The name "Cowan Field" will not be found on any maps. The clearing was part of the Cowan homestead. (source: A Survey of Abandoned Homestead Clearings in the Queets River Valley 1975 Sallie Williams)) I didn't think much of these photos, but someone suggested I include them as well: view from the West Boundary Road (FS Rd #21)
Kloochman Rock from Sams Loop Trail
Cowan Field - Sams Loop Trail

hermes

hermes
PostThu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
Looks like you were doing what you "otter" today smile.gif . Summery photos! I remember when doing that loop a few years ago we turned back because the trail seemed to be underwater - from your addendum I realize we probably just lost the trail.