Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am 
JO, Great Nankoweap shots! So hard to get the lighting right in that location...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm 
Thanks! We had to camp upriver of them so were at least an hour's walk to/from there. Which meant our river guides (this was a guided trip, which is MUCH easier to book especially if you want to go sooner than a decade from now) were very good sports to hold dinner until after dark on this evening so we could be up there at around sunset. One of the benefits of booking not only a guided trip, but one that was billed as a "photo workshop" (with good photographers leading that aspect, including one who had worked repeatedly with the head river guide so they had a good understanding of what each other needed to do their jobs well).

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm 
^^ yeah you nailed the lighting smile.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm 
Beargrass on Bandera today
beargrass on bandera (1 of 1)
beargrass on bandera (1 of 1)

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am 
joker wrote:
Ooh, nice aerial pic!! Here are a few from a raft trip down the Grand Canyon last month. This is from a short hike out of camp to the Nankoweap granaries, used by the Ancestral Puebloans until about the year 1200 when the abruptly left this region. It's a hike well worth doing, and if you're a photographer you ideally want to be in one of the camps near there so you can hit it near sunset when the light will tend to get sweet. These "windows" would have been blocked by big flat rocks and the whole rock wall mudded over with red mud/mortar when in use to help camouflage it so other groups would be unlikely to discover the grain stash. Aside from giving you a loot at a cool ancient ruin/artifact this little hike also has the bonus of giving one of the better views up or down the river you're likely to get from reasonably accessible hikes along the course of the river.
Nankoweap (1 of 1)
Nankoweap (1 of 1)
Looking down canyon (1 of 1)
Looking down canyon (1 of 1)
Nice images, Jim. I think a guided river trip is something I would like to do in my lifetime. How many days did you spend on this trip and what did you think of the length? On the ruin, I saw a ruin in Southern Utah that was similarly set on a ledge; one that reached ground on one side and then extended to be two hundred feet over the cliff at the other with several defensive structures on the ledge. The ruin was still with adobe and was painted two tone - yellowish white on the top half with some painted red bricks and reddish on the bottom half with some yellowish white bricks. These colors blended with the roof of the ledge and with the base of the ledge so that you could essentially not see the ruin from 200' away.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Thanks Gary. The trip I did was on a big motorized "J-rig" (owned and guided by AZRA which seems like a very solid outfit on multiple fronts). It took 9 nights/10 days to get from Lee's Ferry to the takeout at Diamond Creek. At various moments I might say that was a little long or a little short so I guess the answer to your length question is that it's going to depend a lot on you and the group you happen to be with. While it would get rid of the motor noise, I don't think I'd be as keen to go on an oar trip where a guide is rowing the whole time and it would take more like 14 nights to travel that distance - if I were going to go that route I think I might rather be on a paddle raft where I'm doing a bit more than just sitting on the flat water and hanging tight in rapids (or at least spending some of the time on a paddle raft - sounds like some trips have one or two paddle rafts that people can rotate onto from the oar boats). The trip I did wasn't sedentary but it wasn't super active either - just a few 4 mile-ish hikes and several shorter walks to get to nice photo or hang destinations up side canyons. I think I'd be more up for a longer trip if it had a somewhat more physically active itinerary while not on the raft. For photography, early May seemed like a good time to go, as both the Little Colorado River and Havasu Creek were flowing relatively clear and so were quite blue rather than tinged a bit brown (both have lots of magnesium which yields their unreal blue waters), as were some of the other creeks. And though the CO river was a bit brown when we started due to some recent rain in greened up quite a bit w/in a day or so of our start. I guess fall trips tend to get more runoff and thus brown in all the water. I don't do heat well so would not want to do a summer trip down the river. But a longer trip would also offer more chances to check out the cool side canyons which has appeal. Another option is to do half the river, either ending at Phantom Ranch or starting there, with a hike up or down to end or start the journey. That would present the tough choice of which half to skip... And yes, all the granaries I've seen seemed to have been rather thoughtfully placed so as to be relatively unlikely to have been easily discovered by others when in use.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
I'm hoping there is a meteorologist somewhere who can give me some insight into what phenomena this is. I photographed this rainbow yesterday evening from my home five miles west of Sherwood, OR. It formed in the east after a thunderstorm was dissipating. Most of it was a normal single rainbow that stretched about 60 degrees, but a portion of it formed what appears to be a set of six succesively fainter spectral sets. I've never seen anything like it, could not find a similar photo on the Internet, or even any discussion of something like this. Anyone have a clue? Edit: I've determined this was a supernumerary rainbow. The physics involved are fascinating... https://www.atoptics.co.uk/rainbows/supers.htm

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 am 
Sunset hike to Hurricane Ridge and Hill.  Canon 200/1.8 and Zeiss 50/1.4
Sunset hike to Hurricane Ridge and Hill. Canon 200/1.8 and Zeiss 50/1.4

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 am 
DCIM100MEDIADJI_0102.JPG
DCIM100MEDIADJI_0102.JPG

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am 
bighorn dad and kids (1 of 1)
bighorn dad and kids (1 of 1)

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 pm 
Toadstools with rainbow (1 of 1)
Toadstools with rainbow (1 of 1)

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:45 pm 

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am 
Little Colorado Sunrise (portrait)2 (1 of 1)
The Little Colorado River, just a short ways above its confluence with the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. It's a cool spot, with eery blue water (due to magnesium content), travertine cascades, and the layered red rock canyon walls all around. So worth getting up super early to see the sun rise on this landscape (which required a ferry across the big CO river from camp and a short bit of hiking at first light). This spot is definitely a highlight of the trip down the river. We came back after going back to camp for coffee and breakfast, and we spent a while floating down the little blue rapids near this shot in our life preservers - apparently one of the "must do" recreational activities on raft trips based on the groups we saw flowing in as we packed up to go after our own play time.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 12:38 pm 
joker wrote:
Jim, you've captured alot of wall worthy images lately up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 2:06 pm 
Thanks - that's definitely been one of my goals so it is really nice to read that feedback.