Forum Index > Trip Reports > Elwha River 01.13 & 14.12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm 
The Elwha River, slowly returning to its wild nature, is a good model of the benefits of working together. The Lake Mills area is clearly marked closed during construction and cars are encouraged at many viewing areas not to stop. A peak-a-boo view now again shows that it is slowing draining down with many logs lining the rim, looking more like an ocean beach shore. It was a little chilly, but otherwise quite nice as I made my way out to Elkhorn. I ran into the lone group of day hikers out in front that morning within a couple miles of the TH. Four gents in their golden years seemed just as pleased as I to be returning to points up the Elwha.
Lillian River
Lillian River
The trail was in great shape with just a few minor blowdowns. The sun had fallen below the ridge in the early afternoon when I arrived at Elkhorn. I took time to sip a coldie and wander around upriver and back towards the Ranger area. Dry firewood was sparse, even in the big piles of washouts. It took me some extra tp, my camping permit, and a little hand sanitizer before it really took. I was into the sack early before long reading a book.
Stony Point Camp
Stony Point Camp
Elwha River
Elwha River
Pitter patter on the roof top during the night and it was too crisp to be rain drops. My summer sleeping bag and synmat left me tossing and turning a bit to stay warm. I got up and took a few pictures, then retreated back to the tent for a real sound hour of additional sleep. Crawling out again I fired up the tea kettle and started getting things put away. It snowed pretty consistently during my hike out. I ran into one other fellow on my way out, who was making good time as I passed him near Mary Falls. The snow accumulation had filled in his tracks within the next mile. The camera was put away the last ten miles or so with snow 2-5" on the trail. Fortunately a guy rolled through the parking lot in his truck just as I was packing up the car. His turning up the snow along Whiskey Bend Rd. allowed me to make it out safely with front wheel drive.
in living color
in living color
Elkhorn
Elkhorn
Reading Material: The American Transcendentalists ~ Their Prose and Poetry One's outlook is a part of his virtue. Does it matter nothing to him what objects accost him whenever he glances from his windows, or steps out-of-doors? He who is so far weaned from the landscape, or indifferent to it, as not to derive a sweet and robost habit of character therefrom, seems out of keeping with nature and himself.... Wood and water god both, man loves to traverse the forests, wade the streams, and confess his kindred alliance with primevial things. ABA - 1872 Bonus picture TR from the W Elwha Trail last month
Hughes Creek
Hughes Creek
Elwha River
Elwha River
around Altaire
around Altaire
Hughes Creek
Hughes Creek

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm 
Really nice photos... up.gif up.gif I really like Elkhorn and I think it would be a great winter bp trek !! How much snow was actually on Whiskey Bend rd ?? Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
very nice. love the tree feet in the twelfth image.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 am 
Sounds like a great trip. Your photos really capture the feel of the Elwha in winter, though I suspect there's a lot more snow along the way now than there was when you were there. Nice shot looking up Fairchild Creek at Ruth Peak, too.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 9:40 am 
Agreed, really beautiful photos. up.gif Nice compositions and all share a very rich color palette. The river looks so peaceful and inviting. Thank you!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 9:56 am 
someday i'll venture into an overnighter winter/snow backpacking! hubby used to go to Elkhorn during the Thanksgiving holiday. the omg had a fun time there. your photos look so green...and then, boom! white! up.gif here's a TR of when our nwlurkers and i hiked the west elwha trail. from your photos the trail looks dry. that trail can be downright muddy!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am 
I love and miss the green forests. Thanks for the nice photos. I had the pleasure of spending a winter in an off the grid cabin on the lower part of the Elwha and enjoyed every minute of it.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostSat Jan 21, 2012 11:32 am 
thanks for all the nice comments. .5fast, there was around six inches at the TH and I imagine it probably got another foot the way it was snowing. bobbi, the pics of ice teeth of the elwha are still some of my favorites smile.gif