Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gmap4 now does trip planning. New hi-res topo maps!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am 
Big thumbs up. I can see myself using Gmap4 even more with this feature. Thanks! up.gif up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
There are a few reasons a .jpg is useful. 1. The map I show has more resolution to it, thus having more details. A friend of mine prints out maps the lazy way which inevitably makes it have less details and makes it harder to see between each line in the topo map. As a result it is harder to make out what is very steep, labeled locations, and of course doesn't look as good. 2. Not every site in the world allows iframes, although I love the concept of iframes, some people like a nice static map. Another friend of mine uses internet explorer 8 which for some reason seems to have troubles loading iframes. The other day I attempted to show him a map on one of my information pages which did not load for some reason. frown.gif The fact that I had a static .jpg map next to it made up for it. Perhaps it was the fact that it was in a table. dizzy.gif 3. Your able to attach the .jpg map in a email. Everyone (well most) don't mind getting picture attachments, but when it comes to a link, it is less likely for someone to want to view it. wink.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
1. ?Lazy way? When I've printed through the browser's 'print preview' it seems to work just fine. 2. I use IE8. Can you send me a link to that page? 3. You could make a jpg from a screen capture. Finally, I had a long talk with a Trimble manager on the topic of people misusing their tiles. Since I want to stay firmly on their good side, I am not planning to add a 'jpg' button.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 3:05 pm 
In response to the numbers: 1. I'm picky about quality... I'll let the print preview argument slide. wink.gif 2. Perhaps they are using a bad version of internet 8. I've had in the past where websites would not load properly with older models of ie8 or it might even be possible (although unlikely) that it was a beta version. Anyways, here is the page: http://www.summitpost.org/eldorado-peak/150316#chapter_11 3. True... which I'm pleased that one can do that which is why I'm not too disappointed. hmmm.gif But now I have a new question, so what do you mean by misusing their tiles? I understand you wanting to stay on their good side. agree.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm 
I opened your SummitPost page in IE8 OK. Gmap4 displayed OK. Please see Trimble's end user TOS. There is a link at the bottom of every Gmap4 map that is displaying their tiles. Section 3.2 deals with misuse. Subsection i prohibits "reproduction" unless specifically allowed by the TOS.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jan 26, 2012 4:36 pm 
Flow, I meant to mention that your Eldorado page looks real nice. I've also seen it before since every time someone loads it an entry shows up on my server log due to the embedded map. That page got a whole pile of hits.