Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winter Backpacking off 1-90 Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BC22

BC22
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm 
Does anyone know any good winter backpacking overnightsers off of I-90? Im thinking about heading out in the next few weeks. I would like something not too long but not to short. Maybe 5 of 6 miles one way.

Smile when the mountain's steepest
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 pm 
Mason or Pratt Lake

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostWed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm 
Off the Denny Creek TH you could hike up to Melakwa Lake.

BC22

BC22
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 12:15 am 
Thanks guys, I was thinking about Pratt and Mason too

Hutch

Hutch
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 1:24 am 
Annette's a bit shorter but a good easy overnight. Never been up there in winter though, so I'd mind the avalanche chutes.

ericande

ericande
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 pm 
What trailheads and lots permit overnight parking off I90?

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
I don't think any USFS trailheads forbid overnight parking (not sure about places like Tiger but you wouldn't go there for winter camping anyway). Although a lot of summer trailheads are unreachable in winter and you may get in trouble if you block the roadway/snowplow work, but that's true even for day parking.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 5:23 pm 
As a reminder:Don't leave gear in you car in full view.....Better yet don't leave gear in your car.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm 
like2thruhike wrote:
As a reminder:Don't leave gear in you car in full view.....Better yet don't leave gear in your car.
Better yet if you are staying overnight get dropped off and don't leave your car at any trailhead. It seems a lot of the break ins occur overnight.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 11:32 pm 
5-6 miles on a winter over night is a long way to go. Depending on conditions it's possible, but plan for the worse unless we have a dominant high pressure system setup. I'd find something less than 3 miles one way. I-90 isn't parker friendly in winter like other places. Hwy 2 and the Mountain Loop Hwy have much better access and you won't have to worry about your car being towed, ticketed or snowed in. There are a number of Sno Parks along I-90 that allow over night parking, but you'll have to pay the $$$ for parking permits etc etc. You can find free parking at the ski areas if you know where to go, but it's really too big a hassle for the average person. Some suggestions on Hwy 2. Beckler River Rd, Miller River, Foss River, Scenic, Skyline Ridge at Stevens Pass, Smithbrook Rd. Those all have snow plowing and can be parked at for free. Many areas along the MtnLoop you can park over night. The road is being plowed to the Heather Lk TH on Mt. Pilchuck this winter. The end of the gated road at Deer Creek is a popular jumping off point for good over night winter backpacking. There are a number of side roads that climb up above the valley to excellent locations. With all the snow we've had this week you aren't going to find many TH's reachable any where along I-90.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
BC22

BC22
PostSun Jan 22, 2012 2:19 am 
Yeah 5 or 6 would be the max. Thanks for the info on the I90 trail heads. Ill have to look more into it.

pood

pood
PostMon Jan 23, 2012 4:33 pm 
Goldmeyer hotsprings! We did that last year and definitely going to try to do it this year. Sucks you can't have fires there though, but you'll have the hot springs to keep you warm.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 am 
Kendall Peak Lakes via the Gold Creek road (blocked, now a trail) is a nice 5 mile trip. There will be a snowshoe track. To get to the lakes, check the map re when to leave the road bed. Expect lots of company, including sledders) the first mile. You'll need a SnoPark pass. And please please don't snowshoe in the ski track

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 pm 
If you don't mind seeing others, I second the smithbrook suggestion. You'll have a good shot at real winter (versus risk of rain at some of the lower highway 2 road options), and a trail that gets plenty of use thus lowering odds of having to do an epic trailbreak with your overnight gear. You can either camp down in the valley somewhere (out of the obvious avy paths!!) or up one one of the ridges (camp by Lichtenwasser Lake or up above Lake Valhalla, for instance). Plenty of daytime roaming options if that's part of your agenda. Another thought in the vein of BigSteve's suggestion - you can get up onto the treed portion of Rampart Ridge via an old logging road that climbs mostly forested slopes from the Gold Creek side. The road I am thinking of splits off the main road/trail along Gold Creek (goes in to cabins and eventually to the head of the valley) from where you could turn left to go to Gold Pond. Instead, turn right on the somewhat brushy road that is gated and heads up the mountain. There may be a few intersections, but if you are good at following your nose and a map, you'll end up topping out near a clearcut/mature forest edge, and it's a short bit further up to a clearcut knoll on the ridge crest, and from there you can head up onto well-treed ridge. You may hear highway from up there though, but you probably won't see to many if any other people. Either suggestion puts you through some potential avalanche terrain so don't go unless you have knowledge of how to assess hazard and choose your travel path accordingly. Rampart has way more sketchy slopes further up valley, though - this route has you just grazing a few spots that struck me as having "non-zero slide potential" (bearing in mind that there has even been an avalanche death on a road berm in Kansas...).

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 pm 
When did Smithbrook reroute itself to the I-90 corridor? Did I miss a major seismic event? clown.gif