Forum Index > Trail Talk > Blizzard tubes - be prepared
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am 
I can't remember who, but somebody on here mentioned Blizzard Tubes. They are a light weight emergency shelter that the mentioner uses year round to help get his overnight pack weight down to like three ounces. I'm thinking these things are a great idea for their intended use too - survival (especially in the winter). They weigh slightly over a pound & fit two people. Pack this and a shovel on you winter treks (as well as other essentials of course) and you would be well prepared to hunker down and wait out a blizzard or other emergency. I don't know if there is a local source for these near you - but here's an online... (note: They have different colors. It defaults to green, which might not be the best choice in a survival situation. Orange is a dollar more than green, silver a dollar less). Blizzard Tube - $41 with shipping

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am 
Well that is kind of interesting. I googled the material this 19 oz Blizzard Tube is made of - ReflexCell - and came across a graph that claims it is as warm as a 2 lb down bag. hmmm.. For $41, I may have to buy one and try it out! ReflexCell Comparison

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 am 
I'm the one who posted about the tube. My daughter and I used it on an unplanned bivy this past summer at Panhandle Gap. We were stymied by frozen snow and had no sleeping bags. We spent a relatively comfortable night there, got plenty of sleep, and continued on our way the next day by bypassing the Gap. Easy to carry if you leave it packaged. I am out of town and not on my computer but information on this system is available on my blog at williswall.com. I use it as a two person summer system but I would also take it on winter hikes as an emergency system. I recommend spending $40 and get one.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:01 pm 
I carry one for emergences. This fall while skiing Baker backcountry I needed to deploy it for an injuried skier we came upon. He had fractured his hip. The bivy has baffles or tubes that run down it that help to retain heat. It was difficult to get the baffles to fully open espically when our patient needed warmth now. It does perform better then a simple mylar sheet or plastic garbage bag. Once opened it will never pack as small and compact again. I am still searching for the perfect solution. Now I'm thinking about a down quilt with a Silnylon cover.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:32 pm 
I bought the sleeping bag a year or so ago whenever someone brought this up before in an earlier thread. Yea as long as you don't unpackage it you have something about the size of a VHS cassette tape (remember those). I don't know how it packs after you use it. I just have mine for emergencies hoping to never need it.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 pm 
"I don't know how it packs after you use it." Not real small. I roll my tube up and carry it strapped to the bottom of a small pack. Maybe 6" thick and over a foot long.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 pm 
It would be nice if the outdoor stores had these and similar items as "trainers" so it wasn't a surprise when you used them for the first (and probably only) time. {edit} - Hey willis: How durable are they/do they seem? How many uses do you think you could get from one before they disintegrated?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 1:48 pm 
kbatku wrote:
It would be nice if the outdoor stores had these and similar items as "trainers" so it wasn't a surprise when you used them for the first (and probably only) time. {edit} - H huh.gif ey willis: How durable are they/do they seem? How many uses do you think you could get from one before they disintegrated?
I am in the third year with the long jackets. They seem fine for quite a few uses (no ground sheet) and are not affected by small tears. Plus they are so cheap you can abuse them without worry.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 5:03 pm 
How about putting them into a bag and sucking the air out with a vacuum to repack. Like those space bags?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm 
that was my thought as well

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
Here is some more information if anyone is interested in Blizzard products. The Blizzard website. Quote about durability: •The three layers reinforce each other, and even if one is damaged, the others usually remain intact. •The seams in the material act like the thick threads in ripstop nylon, stopping tears from developing. •Materials only tear when they are pulled tight. The elastic in the Reflexcell™ material helps to keep the material in a relaxed state – if it doesn’t get pulled tight, it doesn’t tear. Where to buy in the US. Here's what an unpacked tube looks like strapped to my pack:
Zpacks with tube
Zpacks with tube
Here is the tube setup with a cuben tarp we used (no sleeping bags) on an unplanned bivy at Panhandle Gap; notice no ground sheet:
unplanned bivy setup
unplanned bivy setup
They are a bit noisy. I've used the long jacket (12 ozs) as a sleeping bag, worn upside down with my feet in the head end, on at least 5 overnights.

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
PostSun Jan 29, 2012 9:20 pm 
They are called Blizzard survival bags which are being used by teh US and British special forces. I have one at the bottom of my bag. Search YouTube for videos on the bag.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 am 
The tubes & bags are diferent. The tubes are two person, the bags one. Depends on your style/needs I suppose. The bags are cheaper and lighter, for what that entails.

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostMon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm 
The bags come in different sizes, also in a blanket model

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
Euler

Euler
PostThu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm 
I have a blizzard bag and I take it on every hike in case of emergency. They do tear easily. If, say, you find yourself sitting all night on a boulder in the middle of a boulder field, and put one of these things on, the rock can easily tear it. Hypothetically speaking, of course.