Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Washington, 02/04/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Moose

Moose
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm 
I wanted to revel in the sunshine and temperature inversion this weekend even though I had a million other commitments, so I chose Mt. Washington because of its proximity. There are a lot of blowdowns on the trail for the first half mile and consistent hard-packed snow beginning around 2,000'. I took a left at the ponds and headed up the old road, then straight up the slopes to the ridge. There is a well-established track and I didn't throw on snowshoes OR crampons the entire day - a very rare winter occurrence indeed. It was warm, probably in the 50s, but there was a fierce wind blowing that made it feel quite a bit chillier.
Can you tell how windy it was?
Getting closer
The requisite Rainier shot
Views south
Back at the ponds Depending on conditions, I would recommend bringing an ice axe for the steep slope section of the route. Although brief, there is some exposure and if the snow is hard-packed it might be uncomfortable to some.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 pm 
Where is Mount Washington in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness? I am familiar with Mount Washington that is across the street (I-90) from ALW but not one within the wilderness.

Moose

Moose
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm 
My mistake, I assumed it was in the ALW (since Granite Mtn is?) but a quick Google search proved me wrong. It's been corrected - thanks.