Forum Index > Trail Talk > pargeter maps - central cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 am 
does anyone own a pargeter map of the central cascades, ideally in good to mint condition? if so, would you be willing to let me make a full sized scan of it for a reprint? i don't think this map is available anymore and i think mr. pargeter no longer produces them due to illness. i have both the north cascades maps (east and west), but my favorite area of the cascades, i have nothing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am 
I've got one on my office wall. It's well worn, has rips, pin holes and is faded.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 am 
I do.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
I have one of the very last ones sold. I found it in a travel store last spring. It's still in the plastic. I expect it's the most recent version. You're welcome to scan it. I also have recent versions of North Cascades West and North Cascades East. In the past I've made 8-1/2 x 14 color copies of the map in sections, then I can carry the relevant sections with me on the hike. It's baffling to me that Pargeter apparently didn't want to continue publishing those maps! Even with few to no updates, those maps are so incredibly useful, you'd think they'd continue to sell year after year with only a tiny printing expense. I suppose you could do the same thing with Google Earth, but the maps, which included the roads, trails, and mileages, were so convenient! So now the existing maps are collector's items. Go figure! dizzy.gif

cartman

cartman
PostMon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 pm 
Pargeter's maps are fantastic; hopefully they'll start making them again, perhaps updated versions. Aside from Metsker's and Wide World here in town, I've also found them in random convenience stores in the boonies. Those are folded, though. FYI, there is also a Pargeter's of the Olympics. There is a similar map to these painted by Dee Molenaar of the Rainier area, and another of the entire state. I have all three. All great resources.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostTue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 pm 
While you are thinking about maps, check our RAVEN maps. Very large relief maps of many states. I have WASHINGTON on my office wall. http://www.ravenmaps.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WA

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm 
I found 3 today in a bag of old maps at St. Vincent for...wait for it... .55 cents for the whole bag (which also included 2 Green Trails and some other nice stuff) The Molenaar Rainier one is 1978 North Cascades East is 1980 North Central Cascades is 1973 They are well used and stained but look quite nice on my walls.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
touron

touron
PostSat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 pm 
cartman wrote:
Pargeter's maps are fantastic; hopefully they'll start making them again, perhaps updated versions.
ditto.gif Hopefully they will start making them again. Great for trip planning and for hiking with.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
RodF

RodF
PostSun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 am 
North Central Cascades is still listed on his Panorama Maps website, although I don't know if it's still in print. I'll PM you Dick Pargeter's phone if you wish to ask him. He has a framed copy hanging on the wall of his home in Black Diamond. Apparently there were ten editions of this map printed from 1964 to 2000. Various editons are available in local libraries listed in worldcat.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RodF

RodF
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
Dick Pargeter just phoned to say hello, so I asked... No, he doesn't have any more copies of his Central Cascades map, and is tempted but doesn't plan to issue a new edition. So alas you're on your own to find a copy.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
touron

touron
PostTue Jul 16, 2013 7:45 pm 
I wonder if we could all sign a petition and send it to Dick to plea for the map to be made once again? hmmm.gif up.gif Often times the Pargeter is the only map I carry in my pack when I go hiking. Fortunately I had the REI plastic laminate mine. I like to be able to get to a destination with it and then try and pick out peaks.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 am 
I'd love to see 'em! up.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 am 
I have the N. Central Cascades map on the wall in my kitchen. It's probably 15 years old or so, has a couple pinholes in it and probably a couple small stains but is overall in nice condition.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 am 
I have versions of all of Pargeters' maps, including a version of the Olympics from the early 1980's. Even though they're outdated, they're uniquely and immensely valuable. I've been tempted to carry them in to Kinko's and ask them to make full-size, full-color copies of the entire map. But I'd expect Kinko's to balk because it says on the map that you can't reprint it without permission. The only other option, which is less than satisfactory, is to make 8 1/2 x 11 color copies and tape 'em together. If the esteemed Mister Pargeter doesn't want to update the maps, maybe he'd grant us permission to make copies.

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 am 
my understanding is that he's not in good health, and hence, non-responsive.