Forum Index > Trip Reports > High Hut & Anderson Lakes Snowshoe (2/7/12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm 
Had the opportunity to go hiking with a Madman so I took a day off from work (gasp!). Knew it would be a long day so I opted to drive down the day before and spend the night. As previously posted, this was the best idea in the whole of the Universe since I had such a stellar day on Mazama Ridge on Monday with another new hiking partner. Anyway... The plan was to research some trails in the South District of the Mount Tahoma Trails System. Choices were Snow Bowl or High Hut and we chose High Hut. The trek up follows the road and the snow is currently compact enough to boot up (thus saving me almost 4 miles of snowshoeing). It's a somewhat mundane slog, just a gradual climb up with nothing of real interest to capture your attention, but with good company it's a nice walk. En route, we encountered this...
I've never seen anything like it in my life!
...and a really nice group headed back down after spending two nights up at the hut. (Call me jealous!) As you near the top, the views start to break out with St Helens to the southwest, Adams peaking here and there to the southeast, and, once you crest the hill, Rainier. The hut itself is impeccably maintained both by the MTTA and the people who use it. So very nice to see something so loved and cared for. After lollygagging around taking pics and eating lunch (I remembered my gourmet sandwich this time), we headed back down, intent on making it back before sundown. In order to maximize research, we opted to take the route via Anderson Lakes. NOW it was time to put on the snowshoes. Other than a pretty swift drop into the lakes basin, and a little route finding around the lake (neither of us was comfortable walking ACROSS the lake with how warm it's been lately), the trip down was easy-peasy. Clouds were really starting to roll in, darkening the whole landscape. It was going to be a full moon night, but I doubt there was much moon to be seen. Made it back to the truck right about sunset, drove back to Ashford, left my super secret hiking companion and headed out for the long drive home. I think I pulled in about 8:15, exhausted from two wonderful days of hiking, snowshoeing, and socializing.
Nearing High Hut
Nearing High Hut
High Hut - The Final Approach
High Hut - The Final Approach
A Room with a View
A Room with a View
St. Helens under moody skies.
St. Helens under moody skies.
Skiers heading out.
Skiers heading out.
Zoom
Zoom
By my calculations, we covered about 9 miles RT and climbed a cumulative total of 2,680'.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 5:14 pm 
Jesus in red....With a sled....

half fast

half fast
PostFri Feb 10, 2012 5:24 pm 
Brighidoon wrote:
Which are you asking about... the guy hiking in his red long underwear ?? or... the sled ?? ykm.gif Nice photos... Looks like another fun day with awesome weather and views... up.gif up.gif Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 am 
What a great trip you had! Santa added to the fun smile.gif Looked like great views and beautiful weather. So envious smile.gif up.gif up.gif Nice pics!

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 am 
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
The untold story of Jefe & his union suit:
up.gif up.gif up.gif Cambajamba - Dude! Thanks for sharing; I was wanting the untold story!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostSat Feb 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
My pleasure!