Forum Index > Trail Talk > scorpions in grand canyon?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mustang sal

mustang sal
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 4:02 pm 
I am going to be hiking in the Grand Canyon in late March. I have hiked a lot in S. Utah, but not in the GC. I would like to just bring my GoLite tarp. Will I need to worry about mosquitoes, noseeums and scorpions? I have read a few bits of info on the prevalence of scorpions but never had a problem with them in Utah.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 pm 
scorpions ... yes i would say they are a consideration .. though i have not done the lower canyon so it's not based on personal knowledge .. funny i just today mentioned doing a x-canyon to my other half and my only thoughts were about those creepy crawlies ... ugh

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm 
Scorpions and rattlesnakes, YES. Mosquitoes and other biting bugs haven't been a problem the times I've been down there (always in march, best time to do it). Rattlesnakes come out when it's 80-90 degrees. If it's 60-70 at night you probably won't see them. In 9 years of living in AZ and doing a lot of hiking (night hiking in the summer) I only know one person that was bit by a scorpion while out hiking. She sat on it... A lot of people in AZ leave the tent at home and sleep under the stars, sleeping bag is plenty of protection against either, they don't want to bite/sting you.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Several years ago I backpacked down into Havasupai Canyon which is a tributary of the Grand Canyon. We were there during Spring Break/Easter, so the time frame is similar. It was rather frosty at night, but warm enough to swim in the falls and streams during the day. It did snow on us as we left, so be prepared. As I recall we didn't see any scorpions, but they are there. This is from the park's website: Scorpions are common in the canyon and stings occur with regularity. While scorpion stings are painful, they rarely cause serious health problems. The elderly and very young children are most susceptible to their venom. If stung, apply cool compresses to the sting site (for pain relief) and monitor the victim. It is rare for an evacuation to be necessary. Scorpions are small and their tan color makes them difficult to see. Avoid stings by shaking out your boots and clothing before dressing, wear shoes (even in camp), and shake out your bedding before climbing into it.. A quick search produced this short article and photo. So you do need to be vigilant and aware if you are using a tarp vs. a tent. Just don't toss and turn much in your sleep lest you hit one on the search for insects at night. They are nocturnal. I would definitely clear the ground of any brush, put down a ground cloth and not be too close to shrubs or trees. They like being under rocks and bark. Be sure to shake out your bedding before retiring and definitely in the morning along with your boots and gear. A little precaution and awareness goes a long way. Have a great trip. ~z

brianle

brianle
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
I wouldn't worry about it; I cowboy camped there, and other places in the southlands. I think this is one of those things that seem like a big deal until you've spent some time in the area, then you get used to what's normal. The bigger issue I had using, in my case, a poncho tarp down in the grand canyon was wind. At least when I was there (I think in March) it was quite windy, and I was somewhat unsuccessful in using my pack and other gear as a wind break. Something to keep in mind when trying to find a place to throw down and sleep. And/or, if the likelihood of rain looks low, think of using your tarp more as a wind break than rain protection, stake tight right down to the ground.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 4:40 pm 
zephyr wrote:
This is from the park's website:
Looks like one I nearly stepped on (barefoot, at night) east of Billings, Montana in 1974. I had NO idea there were scorpions in Montana!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 pm 
Watch out for turkeys at Phantom Ranch campground. They will go look for another victim if you thump them gently with hiking poles AKA crutches (after you have stiffened up from walking down steps for a few hours).

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 9:51 pm 
I camped without a tent and didn't have a problem. Seeing a couple right before bedding down did have me a bit paranoid. I got into may bag and zipped completely up After laying there sweating in my 40* bag, I decided it was better to chance a sting rather than stay in my bag. Nights can get very warm at the bottom of the canyon. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."