Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Two States passing bills demanding Feds give up land
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm 
Several other states with massive quantities of Federal land will be watching these efforts.
Quote:
Lawmakers who want to seize control of federal lands are pushing a legal battle they insist is winnable despite multiple warnings their effort is highly unconstitutional and almost sure to fail in court. Utah is poised to become the first state to pass a package of bills that demand the federal government relinquish claims to huge sections of public land. A proposal that advanced Wednesday demands that by 2014 the federal government cede control of nearly 30 million acres -- nearly 50 percent of the entire state. A bill setting an identical deadline is also moving in the Arizona Legislature. Rep. Ken Ivory, who is leading the effort in Utah and helped draft model legislation for use in other states, said the federal government doesn't treat states like equal partners in land management. "If sovereignty means anything, it means not having to say pretty please, or mother may I," Ivory said. Driving the legislative frustration is an ongoing anger over missed opportunities to develop and mine lands managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service. There is also concern that access to state-owned or private lands will be increasingly restricted by Congress or even with the stroke of a president's pen, which happened in 1996 when President Bill Clinton created the 1.9-million-acre Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah.
Read more

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 pm 
Quote:
in 1996 when President Bill Clinton created the 1.9-million-acre Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah
I love it when this happens. Congress bickers, but under the Antiquities Act land is protected from development. I'm hoping for something similar from Obama, but I might need to wait till the end of the next four years, if that happens. Jimmy Carter 12/1/78 Admiralty Island, AK* (Forest Service) 12/1/78 Aniakchak, AK* 12/1/78 Becharof, AK 12/1/78 Bering Land Bridge, AK 12/1/78 Cape Krusenstern, AK* 12/1/78 Denali, AK 12/1/78 Gates of the Arctic, AK 12/1/78 Kenai Fjords, AK 12/1/78 Kobuk Valley, AK 12/1/78 Lake Clark, AK 12/1/78 Misty Fjords, AK* (Forest Service) 12/1/78 Noatak, AK 12/1/78 Wrangell-St. Elias, AK 12/1/78 Yukon-Charley, AK 12/1/78 Yukon Flats, AK William J. Clinton 9/18/96 Grand Staircase-Escalante, UT* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/11/00 Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument, AZ* (Jointly managed by the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management) 1/11/00 Agua Fria National Monument, AZ* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/11/00 California Coastal National Monument, CA* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/10/00 Pinnacles National monument, CA (Expansion) 4/15/00 Giant Sequoia National Monument, CA (Expansion--USDA Forest Service) 6/09/00 Hanford Reach, WA (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) 6/09/00 Ironwood Forest, AZ* (Bureau of Land Management) 6/09/00 Canyons of the Ancients, CO* (Bureau of Land Management) 6/09/00 Cascade-Siskiyou, OR* (Bureau of Land Management) 7/07/00 President Lincoln and Soldiers' Home National Monument (Armed Forces Retirement Home) 11/9/00 Craters of the Moon, ID* (Expansion of Existing Monument) 11/9/00 Vermillion Cliffs, AZ* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Carrizo Plain, CA* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks, NM* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Minidoka Internment, ID 1/17/01 Pompeys Piller, MT* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Sonoran Desert National Monument, AZ* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, MT* (Bureau of Land Management) 1/17/01 Virgin Islands Coral Reef, VI 1/20/01 Governors Island-Castle Williams and Fort Jay, NY George W. Bush 02/27/06 African Burial Ground National Monument, NY 06/15/06 Papahanaumokuakea Hawaii Islands Marine National Monument. HI 12/05/08 World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument (Incorporated USS Arizona Memorial), HI I expect to be visiting the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in May.

rasbo

rasbo
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 5:00 am 
I'm not sure how to feel about this yet.I'm on the fence leaning towards agreeing with Utah..

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 am 
Go for it, bo.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
trestle

trestle
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 6:50 pm 
This has been brewing in Utah for a long time.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm 
They have been mad ever since they had to give up Deseret, kind of like some of the South still wails about Appomattox Courthouse huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
touron

touron
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 8:35 pm 
I'm not sure I would want federal land in Washington turned over to Washington state. Something tells me the cost of access to the land would skyrocket, and in a cash-strapped economy, some of the land would get sold off.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm 
I wonder how much land is leased to sheep herders and cattelmen? Thats good rent money. The United States may be having a landlord tenant problem. Maybe time to void the rental agreements and evict everyone.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
The United States may be having a landlord tenant problem. Maybe time to void the rental agreements and evict everyone.
When I purchase an access pass I am leasing. Do you wish to evict me also?

touron

touron
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 pm 
That probably won't do much for the priced of hamburger at Safeway. burger.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm 
States rights. Didn't we once have a Civil War over Big Mac? burger.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
touron

touron
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 pm 
I don't think the Big Mac would cause a war. With two all beef patties, there should be enough for both sides to dine in contentment. On the other hand, Doritos Locos Tacos just might cause a civil war. Crrrunch!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 am 
Funny how property rights are thrown under the bus as soon as it's someone else's property. Maybe these states should secede from the union? hmmm.gif They are an embarrassment to our country as it is. The most hilarious thing is that all that land is stolen land anyway (Arizona I'm talking about here). The US stole it from Mexico in a dishonest war based on falsehoods. All the "anglos" in Arizona at least should be kicked out, they are all illegal aliens. lol.gif The article gives away the real reason: "Driving the legislative frustration is an ongoing anger over missed opportunities to develop and mine lands" So, it's criminals who want to steal public land for private profit, and they can't manipulate the federal government as easily as they can the state governments. Sorry, no privatizing profits and socializing the costs with my land, you criminals and thieves. shakehead.gif PS: thanks also for trying to throw the US Constitution under the bus as soon as it is inconvenient for you. down.gif down.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am 
I thought we had a Civil War over New Coke. New Coke lost.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 am 
Sagebrush Rebellion Redux, 100% wedge politics and a complete waste of legislative time and resources. The bill is manifestly unconstitutional, yet you can be certain that the hypocrite pols pushing this bill rant and rave about the sanctity of the Constitution when it doing so advances their political agenda.