Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wave Warnings and Wanderings – ONP 02/17-18/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm 
Wave Warnings and Wanderings... High waves were predicted for Friday and Saturday and we wanted to see them. Ok, we paid for Fridays hike in that it was pouring rain and hail at about a 40 deg. angle… LOL but neither of us melted – although I was a getting a little worried by the time we broke for lunch… winksmile.gif . Part 1… Carole came out here right before the earth drops off Friday Morning and we soon headed to Shi Shi beach. Ok, there was lots of water… everywhere… and BIG waves. On our return from this aquatic adventure, the NWHRLurkers Lisa and Neil pulled up behind us in my driveway. We all had contributed to what became a potluck feast… hungry.gif and made plans for part 2. Part 2…Our original plan for the day was not looking all that good as it was still pouring rain when we awoke. Ok, what to do. Brilliant minds biggrin.gif think alike and we decided to drive to Hoebuck beach and check out the monster waves they had predicted. We were able to play on the beach without the rain which was a treat… agree.gif and all of us were very impressed with the wave show. Then we decided to go to Cape Flattery. This was an awesome decision, the weather broke for us and the wave show here was more than Amazing... up.gif up.gif (have I ever mentioned I LOVE the waves… biggrin.gif you can imagine the heaven I was in) Cape Flattery was truly breath taking and magical !! Stats for the day: Distance: combined mileage, 9 mi. r/t High Pt.: not sure there was one Elev. gain/loss: zero on Hoebuck beach and maybe 100 vertical feet at Cape Flattery… biggrin.gif Photos of the day for Part 1… (I only was able to take 8 photos for the day because of all the rain which was killin' me as the waves were spectacular)
rainy day at Point of Arches
Photos of the day for Part 2… the Gang
Lisa, Neil, Carole, Paul
Lisa, Neil, Carole, Paul
Hobuck Beach...
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Hobuck Beach
Cape Flattery...
first outlook at Cape Flattery
first outlook at Cape Flattery
almost...
almost...
got it
got it
Tatoosh Island
Tatoosh Island
Tatoosh Island southern point
Tatoosh Island southern point
awesome
awesome
caves at Cape Flattery
caves at Cape Flattery
After our Cape Flattery wanderings we stopped in at the Neah Bay Museum. If you have not checked this gem of a museum out yet, we all highly recommend it… up.gif up.gif In the museum parking lot we had a very reassuring sign of the times… and a perfect ending to an perfect day !!
Spring !!!
Spring !!!
Thanks Carole, Lisa and Neil for a fantastic adventure playin’ on the Oly Pen. Oh, our feasts and geriatric slumber party were toooo much fun as well… biggrin.gif You are all the best !! FUN: 100%

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
I am right now holding your tarp hostage. Invite me out for such a trip, or the tarp gets it! embarassedlaugh.gif

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 5:26 pm 
Lovely waves and beautiful photos cool.gif up.gif haven't been to Hobuck Beach, need to fix that hmmm.gif thanks for the inspiration!

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 7:59 pm 
i figured you all would be pulling the plan B option! i can hear Lisa saying that she'll check the weather in the morning before committing to a wet hike! glad you got to check out the waves....especially since you love 'em! tongue.gif Dry Hill yesterday - some rain, mostly wet from sweat! Storm King today - sun and snow! perfect up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
half fast

half fast
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I am right now holding your tarp hostage. Invite me out for such a trip, or the tarp gets it! embarassedlaugh.gif
Oh no... now I need a tarp hostage negotiator... who'd a thought Slugman had this side to him...aaaauuggghhh...ykm.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm 
Glad you had a good time! up.gif up.gif up.gif Wish I had been there. frown.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
half fast

half fast
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am 
bobbi wrote:
i figured you all would be pulling the plan B option!
We pretty much had to change to Plan B. We will need to have our cameras available for CAE. With the weather looking like it would be as wet Sat. as it was Fri. (the kind of rain where you are leary of even taking your camera out of its case... down.gif), Plan B was evolved and as it ended up... a far better choice... biggrin.gif Silly Traveler... you would have loved it for sure !! Brighidoon... the feelings those wave inspired were difficult to describe. At one point while at Cape Flattery Lisa said... how would you describe what we are seeing to a blind person ?.... None of us could come up with the words that would totally describe it. Now add the thunderous sounds to the picture and it was close to heaven for me... biggrin.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am 
beautiful! Rodies blooming already, good sign! up.gif

half fast

half fast
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm 
Thanks Hikingqueen... biggrin.gif Yes, it was rather nice to see the rhody blooming and we all thought it was a good sign... up.gif up.gif It really was a perfect ending to our perfect day !! (Sheesh, I have to admit that this time of year it is rather nice to see anything blooming... rotf.gif )

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 pm 
man oh man. where are the pics of you in 50mph wind gusts? confused.gif

half fast

half fast
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm 
No kidding !! As we were walking into the wind and rain getting drenched, I mentioned that there was a group coming from the South up the beach. We both kind of mentioned that we were glad it was you guys and not us... rotf.gif By Petroleum Creek we found a campsite to get out of heading into all that ^#!%$%! thinking if we got under some trees we would have some dry space to eat our lunch. Well, that wasn't the case either since it was raining sooo hard there was big fat drops falling from the trees... dizzy.gif After lunch we called it a day and the only possitive about it was that now we were walking with the wind, rain and now hail rather than into it !! Ok, that really wasn't a lot of comfort... biggrin.gif I do hope that was the case for you guys... Where is your TR ??

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 pm 
There weren't any surfers?.....one of my fav. places to go for awesome waves in the Winter. I haven't been out there yet this winter. Shame on me!.....smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 pm 
up.gif Great pics .5....we were down on Mora Beach same time saturday. It certainly was windy and wavey. But lots of fun to be had there. up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
half fast

half fast
PostTue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
There weren't any surfers?.....
No, not this day. I am not a surfer so I really don't know what a good wave is... but... these waves were going crazy !! Thanks lookout bob... biggrin.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 am 
WOW! Now those are some waves. Fun idea for a trip!