Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 am 
Just had a trio of varied thrushes hopping around in the back yard. I don't know how common they are, but I know I see them rarely. I've never seen 3 at once. That was a nice treat.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Also saw a bunch of western bluebirds recently at Champoeg SP outside Newberg, OR. That was a first for me. I think I've seen mountain bluebirds before. These guys were beautiful! There was a whole row of them lined up on a fence.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 pm 
Just got my best-ever unaided-eye view of a Townsend's warbler (female?) near (not at) a feeder near Pyallup 12/22/13. I was surprised by the white outer tail feathers -- as conspicuous as a junco's. Not a seedeater, it must have been attracted by the mixed feeding flock. Totally unexpected, but it says they do winter in a coastal strip. You hear this bird all the time while hiking -- that wheezy see-see-see-ZEEzip -- but it's high up in conifer tops, so you seldom see it unless you're looking for it, best when a trail on a steep slope brings you eye-level with treetops. A spectacular creature. If you don't do birds, take it up. It will add a dimension to your hiking. Townsend's warbler

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 23, 2013 2:23 pm 
Yeah, virtually every NWHiker has heard TWs in the mountains. There are year-round populations of TWs in spots in the Puget Trough, e.g., lower spots at Tiger Mountain. Some of the mountain summer resident TWs come down from the mountains into the Puget Trough. I see a few in West Seattle each year, sometimes in winter and but more often during the spring and fall migrations. Always fun to see. The white outer tail feathers are often conspicuous in flight, but not always when perched. The Townsend's Warbler birdweb page might be more helpful for WA identification. The birdweb distribution maps are great, updated from time to time.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Dec 23, 2013 11:32 pm 
Wow, that warbler is beautiful. I think I occasionally see either a Wilson's or a yellow, but I'm not sure that I've seen the Townsend's.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 1:12 pm 
A bunch of little yellowish birds on a thistle sock feeder at my parents house. They think they are lesser goldfinches. Never knew such a thing existed previously. Pretty little birds. They share the sock nicely, the juncos not so much.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm 
The distribution range for Lesser Goldfinch is very limited in WA to a few spots closely N of the Columbia River near The Dalles. See the distribution map on the birdweb Lesser Goldfinch page. What makes you think they are Lesser Goldfinch, not American Goldfinch? The latter's plumage is quite pale in winter. Did you rule out Pine Siskin?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 2:10 pm 
Well, we're in White Salmon, WA, so that's north of the Columbia and near The Dalles, puts us in the correct range. I'd know an American goldfinch when I saw one. They used to get a bunch of pine siskins on feeders. The birds today seem too yellow for siskins. Looks like the pictures you linked.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
Oh, okay. White Salmon is in the northern margin of the Lesser's range. One distinguishing field mark: undertail covers are yellow on the Lesser, white on the American. That's the only way I've been able to distinguish the two species.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 6:02 pm 
Lessers would be a very rare in winter. They might be found, and rare, in spring/summer. Their winter range is further south in california siskins can be quite yellow, depending on the individual the body type(thin) and bill ( longer and thinner) would distinguish siskin from either Lesser or Am Goldfinch. Cant say I have ever seen a junco tackle a thistle sock.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 pm 
Hiked the Nisqually Delta today and saw a little black and white bird with a red spot on the back of its head, in the brush. Anyone know what it is? Also watched a big old heron strut across the trail right in front of a rather startled gentleman. Beautiful wood ducks and many other interesting waterfowl as well.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Dec 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
OK, it's possible it's not lesser goldfinches. I was seeing 3 or 4 of them at a time, I've never seen Am. goldfinches in those quantities. The majority of the body was very yellow. Body type was fairly thin, they appeared to have significantly less bulk than the juncos (although maybe that's just puffed up feathers). The juncos were definitely feeding on the sock. They would chase each other off and sometimes disturb most of the finches from eating as well.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Dec 28, 2013 7:18 am 
nancyann it is possible you saw a ruby crown kinglet in poor light. They arevery small and not black and white but fairly drab with a black and white wing bar. The males have a little red crown that they can puff up totally enchanting

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Dec 28, 2013 9:31 am 
Nancyann wrote:
a little black and white bird with a red spot on the back of its head, in the brush. Anyone know what it is?
male Downy Woodpecker? They often hang out in brush and sometimes forage bugs from weed stalks. They are a small woodpecker, about 6" head to tip of tail. +1 to meandering Wa's characterization of the tiny Ruby-crowned Kinglet as "enchanting." If only they would sit still so we could watch them wink.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Thank you Meandering and Big Steve, it was most likely a Ruby Throated Kinglet, and yes, a very charming little fellow!