Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 5:16 pm 
I think I saw a house finch in the rhody bush in front of the house a few minutes ago. Don't see them very often. Quite a bit of robin activity the last couple days. It's spring! (well not really, but I can pretend; that and I've been seeing heather flowering like crazy for several weeks now, but that stuff flowers almost year round it seems like)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 pm 
Two bald Eagles on the Sammamish River trail today.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 am 
Speaking of raptors: I see 5+ baldies each day. Watched one picking over a cow carcass last week. Small raptor IDs in the past week: Prairie Falcon, Merlin, American Kestrel, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk Rough-legged Hawks have settled in for the winter over here. Very fun to watch. Two Golden Eagle IDs in the past month. 15+ Golden Eagle IDs in 2016, a personal record. Best o' 2016: 4 Northern Goshawk IDs, a personal record. All sightings were in subalpine zone near or E of the Cascade Crest.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 6:07 pm 
Saw two male buffleheads at the south end of Lake Union yesterday. First I've seen this winter. Cool looking waterbirds. Spent more time diving than swimming.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm 
Saw a small group of brants a couple days ago at the Edmonds waterfront, immediately north of the ferry dock. They usually hang out in big groups, so maybe this is the vanguard and more will be arriving soon.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Saw a small group of brants a couple days ago at the Edmonds waterfront, immediately north of the ferry dock. They usually hang out in big groups, so maybe this is the vanguard and more will be arriving soon.
Maybe. A population of Brants winters over in Puget Sound and the small group you saw might be part of that population. OTOH the Brant spring migration through PS usually begins around this time of year.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 3:09 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Maybe. A population of Brants winters over in Puget Sound and the small group you saw might be part of that population. OTOH the Brant spring migration through PS usually begins around this time of year.
I visit the Edmonds waterfront and Richmond Beach fairly regularly. I've never noticed full time resident brants at either location. Both are definitely lay over areas for the migrators though.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm 
Encountered a raven at Boeing Creek Park today, hadn't hear or seen it there for a while. Glad it's still hanging around. Also heard my first varied thrush of the year a few blocks away from the park.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm 
Wow. This is some fascinating videography. Rather terrifying for the garden birds. Who would have thought that putting up a bird feeder would set them up for certain death. This was filmed in England, but maybe it happens here. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 17, 2017 11:25 pm 
In Quebec at Gateneau Park they used to have feeders at all the huts. It was.fun for the kids to see all the birds and squirrels at the feeders. Soon owls and hawks started hanging around also. They took away the feeders when the "circle of life" became a bit too overt.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Feb 18, 2017 10:33 am 
zephyr wrote:
Rather terrifying for the garden birds. Who would have thought that putting up a bird feeder would set them up for certain death.
Accipiters, e.g., Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, regularly hunt bird feeders in NWHiker territory. House cats kill far more birds in the U.S. than accipiters.

mike

mike
PostSat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm 
One of many pairs setting up housekeeping now.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
Saw an unusual humming bird today. It was very small and yellow. Not at feeder where we have had Anna's all winter but at the base of a small maple near an indentation. Wonder if it could be a Calliope?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:49 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Saw an unusual humming bird today. It was very small and yellow. Not at feeder where we have had Anna's all winter but at the base of a small maple near an indentation. Wonder if it could be a Calliope?
Calliope Hummers are not yellow, rare in Western WA any time of year and very rare this time of year. I doubt it was a Calliope. I've seen some quite yellowish Rufous Hummingbirds, more yellowish than the pic below. As a general rule, populations of species with orange pigment (e.g., Varied Thrush, Northern Oriole, Rufous Hummer) will have some individuals that are yellow. Cf. yellow House Finches. Also, it's not uncommon for a hummer's throat to get covered with pollen, which is often yellow.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 am 
You could be right, I am not that much of a bird person. It was strange first because of the color a real canary yellow. It was so small at first I thought it was a dragonfly, but they are not out yet. We get Rufus in the summer but they usually seem more robust than the Annas.