Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 5:15 pm 
Saw my oddball mallard again today. I'm definitely going w/ it's a duclair per my link upthread.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm 

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:31 pm 
The brants are here! I've been waiting several weeks for that. Haven't seen them at Richmond Beach yet but there was a big group just north of the Edmonds Ferry dock today. Love those little mini honkers.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Speaking of Varied Thrushes, I saw about 6 throughout the day today.
up.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am 
Saw our first Rufous at the feeder this morning! They were quite late last year but right on schedule this year. We typically expect them to show up ~3/15. The Annas will have to move over.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
Thought I had a handful of white crowned sparrows in my yard the other day, which would have been a first as far as am aware of. On further review, I decided they were golden crowned sparrows. Not sure I've ever seen those anywhere previously.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Speaking of golden crowned sparrow, went on the Wednesday bird walk at Nisqually NWR today and saw about a dozen of them. The regulars that do the Wednesday walks said it was unusual to see that many.
Hmmmm. Did they qualify that by time of year?

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:08 pm 
Noticed a dead barn owl a few weeks ago. Then today I saw two ravens viciously attacking another owl. Ran after them yelling obscenities. Barn owl came out of the fray and flew off. Safe for now. Another reason to hate ravens rant.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 am 
Hesman wrote:
Yes they did. Said it was the wrong time of the year to see that many.
That's confusing. Wintering GCSPs in western WA western OR and northern CA start migrating N to breeding grounds in April, and they sometimes migrate in small flocks. You may have seen saw a small flock that wintered somewhere S of Nisqually NWR that was working its way N.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 am 
Lots of golden crowned sparrows regularly visited my daughter's front yard (near Sonoma, CA) while I was there over Christmas and New Year's.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 pm 
Yeah, GCSPs are common in winter in lowlands along the U.S. Pacific coastal region, all the way down to SoCal. It was among the most abundant winter bird species in our West Seattle backyard. I typically saw a half dozen individual GCSPs in our yard daily from mid-to late October into early April each year, then they suddenly disappear as they start the migration northward. Seeing them each October was a sign that fall was here. In fall, some GCSPs group up and migrate southward along the Cascade crest. In early September a few years ago we saw a flock of 40+ GCSPs in the basin E of Easy Pass. According to Birdweb, there might be rare breeding populations near the BC border (e.g., near Hart's Pass). Other groups migrate at lower elevations. I'm surprised that experienced Nisqually NWR birders would be surprised to see a flock of 10-12 in April.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm 
What bird makes a call that that sounds exactly like the whistling at the start of the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? I have been hearing this a bunch this spring. Edit: Sounds like the first 5 notes:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 11:47 pm 
Not exactly my back yard. Fairly sure I saw some harlequin ducks at Deception Pass SP a couple weeks ago. Beautiful little birdies. Also saw/heard red wing blackbirds, hadn't encountered those for quite a while. Where are my mallard ducklings? Seems like they should be out by now. Haven't seen them at Boeing Creek Park yet where there are half a dozen or so pairs of mallards.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 2:56 am 
All, Yes, there are Harlequins at DPCP now. Also at city park loop drive outside Anacortes. I also got close to a Common Loon couple at North Beach two weeks ago. I had been seeing solo females all winter, which are kinda hard to ID, all up and down the DPSP beaches, but heard a male call(?) and saw Daddy Loon, which are easy to ID. Last weekend, warm and breezy at Everett waterfront near Marina, 5 osprey holding in the updrafts coming up Legion Park bluff, and a Bald Eagle and hawk were playing tag. Delightful aerobatics from both and they really seemed to be having fun rather than mobbing each other. I watched them until my neck hurt! Tom

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm 
Thanks for reminding me tmatlack, I did hear a loon at DPSP. I think that's the first time I've actually heard that distinctive cry in person, only in movies or tv previously. Kinda hard to believe it took this long. Saw baby ducks today! One momma w/ at least 6 ducklings at Boeing Creek. There were a bunch of males hanging around, she was the only female visible, so I'm assuming the others are sitting on eggs that are about to hatch.