Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
Previous :: Next Topic  
irierootsnw

irierootsnw

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:59 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Varied thrush in the back yard whistling the other day

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm 
Speaking of Varied Thrushes, I saw about 6 throughout the day today.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm 
The brants are here!  I've been waiting several weeks for that.  Haven't seen them at Richmond Beach yet but there was a big group just north of the Edmonds Ferry dock today.  Love those little mini honkers.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Speaking of Varied Thrushes, I saw about 6 throughout the day today.

up.gif
Kascadia

Kascadia

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am 
Saw our first Rufous at the feeder this morning!  They were quite late last year but right on schedule this year. We typically expect them to show up ~3/15.  The Annas will have to move over.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm 
Thought I had a handful of  white crowned sparrows in my yard the other day, which would have been a first as far as am aware of.  On further review, I decided they were golden crowned sparrows.  Not sure I've ever seen those anywhere previously.
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm 
Speaking of golden crowned sparrow, went on the Wednesday bird walk at Nisqually NWR today and saw about a dozen of them. The regulars that do the Wednesday walks said it was unusual to see that many.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Speaking of golden crowned sparrow, went on the Wednesday bird walk at Nisqually NWR today and saw about a dozen of them. The regulars that do the Wednesday walks said it was unusual to see that many.

Hmmmm. Did they qualify that by time of year?
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 pm 
Noticed a dead barn owl a few weeks ago.  Then today I saw two ravens viciously attacking another owl.  Ran after them yelling obscenities.  Barn owl came out of the fray and flew off.  Safe for now.

Another reason to hate ravens   rant.gif
Hesman

Hesman

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Hesman wrote:

Hmmmm. Did they qualify that by time of year?

Yes they did. Said it was the wrong time of the year to see that many. And no other reason was given.

In August 2017 I had gone on one the Wednesday walks and I saw a MacGillivray's Warbler. The regulars said the same thing that it was unusual to see it there. I looked into it later and I couldnít find any reason why the bird wasnít supposed to be in the area of Nisqually or Western Washington.

--------------
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 am 
Hesman wrote:
Yes they did. Said it was the wrong time of the year to see that many.

That's confusing. Wintering GCSPs in western WA western OR and northern CA start migrating N to breeding grounds in April, and they sometimes migrate in small flocks. You may have seen saw a small flock that wintered somewhere S of Nisqually NWR that was working its way N.
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am 
Lots of golden crowned sparrows regularly visited my daughter's front yard (near Sonoma, CA) while I was there over Christmas and New Year's.

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am 
Yeah, GCSPs are common in winter in lowlands along the U.S. Pacific coastal region, all the way down to SoCal. It was among the most abundant winter bird species in our West Seattle backyard. I typically saw a half dozen individual GCSPs in our yard daily from mid-to late October into early April each year, then they suddenly disappear as they start the migration northward. Seeing them each October was a sign that fall was here.

In fall, some GCSPs group up and migrate southward along the Cascade crest. In early September a few years ago we saw a flock of 40+ GCSPs in the basin E of Easy Pass. According to Birdweb, there might be rare breeding populations near the BC border (e.g., near Hart's Pass).

Other groups migrate at lower elevations. I'm surprised that experienced Nisqually NWR birders would be surprised to see a flock of 10-12 in April.
Hesman

Hesman

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I'm surprised that experienced Nisqually NWR birders would be surprised to see a flock of 10-12 in April.

Thatís what I thought and that is why I commented about it.

I just looked at the bar charts for Nisqually on eBird for the Golden-crowned Sparrow and it shows that a lot are seen through the middle of May and then sightings slowly peter out until the middle of June. Then sightings pick back up in early September.

--------------
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey

verrry senior member
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:37 pm 
What bird makes a call that that sounds exactly like the whistling at the start of the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

I have been hearing this a bunch this spring.

Edit:  Sounds like the first 5 notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmeNBdagxsw
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
  Happy Birthday IanB, SouthernYokel!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: