Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun May 23, 2021 6:52 am 
Its been busy in our yard. Swallows are living in our soffit, and every house in the neighborhood. A livable nuisance since they eat so many bugs. There are hundreds of them around. I have a poly barrel that I put trap caught rodents on. Most of the time, the local raven gets it. If he can get in and out before the crows spot him. Last week I got some beef inards to make dog treats. I put the unusable scraps on the barrel. It only took about an hour until I got some interest. A kettle of 5 or 6 vultures started circling the yard. They never did land though.
We also have 3 types of woodpeckers hanging out. This little guy let's me get pretty close.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun May 23, 2021 10:59 am 
ale_capone wrote:
It only took about an hour until I got some interest. A kettle of 5 or 6 vultures started circling the yard. They never did land though.
We've had a mouse die in the downdraft outlet pipe of our stove/oven (ugh). We turned the stove fan on yesterday to mitigate the smell, and soon a very large vulture was circling the pasture and landed on the barn ~100 feet from the house. LOL. Unfortunately, we weren't able to utilize his services.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 9:36 pm 
Earlier today saw a baby junco hopping around doing a little foraging, but following a parent and still getting fed. Pretty cute. Later I poked my head out the back door, heard something that kinda sounded like a frog croaking. Looked around, it was a Steller's jay. Not sure that I've heard that vocalization from them before. Last couple trips over to Boeing Creek Park the Swainson's thrushes are singing, love it. Also a handful of baby mallards of various sizes chugging around the lake.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 7:49 am 
A couple weeks ago I got a new bird, the White-winged Dove. I saw a large, heavy, gray bird land in a small tree out of the corner of my eye. My first thought was that my neighbor's African Gray Parrot got loose. I soon realized it was a dove but not the usual one. It flew to my feeder, found it empty (we have had dead pine siskins and are still not filling the feeder), and left. Then I discovered that this bird of the SW ranges across all of North America after breeding, and has been showing up at feeders as far north as Alaska. They have a very distinctive "mustache."

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:34 pm 
Fall migration showing up clearly on radar every evening now. https://atmos.uw.edu/current-weather/northwest-radar/ Was enjoying a nice little group of Western sandpipers on the bar at Hood's Head last week. For a few minutes at least, all was right with the world.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:42 am 
Kascadia wrote:
We've had a mouse die in the downdraft outlet pipe of our stove/oven (ugh). We turned the stove fan on yesterday to mitigate the smell, and soon a very large vulture was circling the pasture and landed on the barn ~100 feet from the house. LOL.
This is hilarious. What a story. The vulture I mean. Not having a dead mouse in the house. ~z

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 12:14 pm 
it is late august but I am seeing migratory birds returning, feeding on over ripe chokecherries before heading farther south.. tanagers,buntings and red wings mostly.. and today the cedar waxwings have shone up feeding on chokecherries... got a feeling this winter might be a bad one!!

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 10:00 pm 
Autumn migration is strong on the radar tonight. Been seeing seasonal shorebirds like Western's, Turnstones, Sanderlings when I can get out to a nice beach.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 pm 
Just had a pileated woodpecker in my backyard, don't recall ever seeing them here before. Numerous times over the years at nearby Boeing Creek Park, but never here.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:54 pm 
I hear the Pileated Woodpecker more often than I see them.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm 
It was my lucky day. After having the visitor in my yard, later I walked over to Boeing Creek Park and saw another pileated woodpecker.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 pm 
I saw one the other day (Pileated) having a go at a power pole. I was wondering if it wanted to play drums in my band. in NE Seattle, west up the hill from all the LCW car dealers.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 3:41 pm 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
I hear the Pileated Woodpecker more often than I see them.
We live in the Tiger/Taylor Mtn corridor (rural) and have a generational relationship with a pileated family here (it took them a few generations to learn to feed on the suet we put out in winter). I'm pretty sure I first heard pileateds in the Tarzan movies.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jan 01, 2022 3:37 pm 
The bush tits (Psaltriparus minimus) have returned since I finally located a source for insect-only suet cakes.
Hard to get a clear shot of the little guys in low light w/a phone camera.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

olderthanIusedtobe
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 7:32 am 
Nothing exotic, just the usual suspects...
Dark-eyed junco
Dark-eyed junco
Black-capped chickadee
Black-capped chickadee
White-throated sparrow
White-throated sparrow
Tufted titmouse
Tufted titmouse

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

olderthanIusedtobe, Hesman, Anne Elk