Forum Index > Gear Talk > Titanium JetBoil Sol – CAUTION
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm 
The titanium version of the JetBoil Sol might have a problem. A potentially serious problem. Please note that my concerns pertain to the titanium version of the JetBoil Sol only. Titanium JetBoil Sol – CAUTION
Please note that not all the facts are in and that this is a CAUTION only at this juncture. The potential consequences of a failure are serious enough that I think a “caution” is warranted even though all the facts are not in. HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm 
Off hand, I would say you are making some alarmist claims here. The molten aluminum shouldn't be hot enough to breach the steel fuel bottle. I would imagine that most of the molten metal will slough off to the ground. The internal pressure of the bottle will increase, but probably not result in any type of explosion. As an example, I have put fuel bottles in a fire and on other operating stoves. They rupture at the threaded connection assembly, or at one of two swages on the bottle. A flame of actually not alarming size results. A Hollywoodesque explosion worthy of Bruce Willis is impossible. The manufacturer should attend to this issue, but the dead won't pile up like cord-wood

hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
OK, good feedback. And maybe I am. (And I guess I'll find out through people like you that hold my feet to the fire a bit) smile.gif Here's the post that prompted my "caution:"
Quote:
I looked over at my jetboil and all I saw was this massive flame. The flames were probably three feet in the air. I ran over and dumped the last of my water on it (and thus went that night and the next morning w/o water) and when everything cooled down, there was evidences of some serious super heating. The little 'flux rings' ended up super heating and they were just going ballistic. The flux ring material got so hot that it started dripping down onto the ground (which did not go out when my threw my water on it, that stuff was crazy hot) and the drops of super heated metal were all over the canister - which scared me the most. A few of them actually melted/welded onto the canister of gas. The stupid orange thing was completely melted (I had to take a dremel to cut it off when I got back home - which is where I learned how easy it was to take them off). The bottom of the pot (not the flux, the bottom) as you can see in the photos above suffered major heat damage - and remember, titanium has a melting point of 3034(F).
Now, to me, that sounded like a canister explosion potentially could result. Do note the use of the word potentially. I also know of one person who overheated a canister (deliberately), and it did explode, and while not hollywood-esque, it did explode and did not merely emit a flame. HJ

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Were you cooking something that was not liquid when this happened?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm 
Hi, Allison, It wasn't mine (see the blog post), but the individual who was doing the cooking was making soup that consisted of water and one bullion cube. That's why I mentioned in the blog post that there was NOT a reason to suspect user error. Had it been something fairly straightforward like someone boiling the pot dry, then I'd have not felt a caution were warranted. HJ

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm 
I would say molten metal and 3-foot flames are very definitely worth a caution, even if the risk of an explosion is pretty low. Having a big flare-up like that happen suddenly while you are stirring the pot could result in serious burns. At the very least, it wouldn't take much in the way of dry conditions to start a fire in grass or other high-fuel conditions, and on a windy day it wouldn't matter much if you had the stove isolated on a rock. And molten metal dripping onto the canister also sounds like a potential recipe for melting through and into the fuel. It might not matter to the person right next to it if the results technically qualified as an explosion.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm 
JennieEl wrote:
And molten metal dripping onto the canister also sounds like a potential recipe for melting through and into the fuel.
But Al has a lower melting point than Fe by about a thousand degrees

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 pm 
I have mentioned this in a post some time ago but..I went on one of my son's Boy Scout camping trips one time where they held a safety demo on putting explosive things in campfires. This included such things as, fuel cannisters, full cans of liquid and gas lighter fluid, spray deodorant, cans of beans, disposal cigarette lighters, etc. Most split along some sort of seam or lid connection with differing levels of explosion. However, all blew the campfire apart and became some sort of a missile. I am glad we were laying down behind boulders about 150' away.

hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
JennieEl wrote:
And molten metal dripping onto the canister also sounds like a potential recipe for melting through and into the fuel.
But Al has a lower melting point than Fe by about a thousand degrees
The issues isn't so much melting through the steel but rather heating up the canisters to the point where they explode. When a gas stove that puts out a three foot flame, that's a serious problem. Period. I hope the JetBoil Sol Ti is basically sound and that all that is needed is maybe better welding and perhaps a tweak to the regulator valve to tone things down a bit. Heck, I'd like one myself. But there are multiple reports of people having melting issues with the fins. Most don't result in 3 foot flames, but I'm not sure I'd go out and get one until JetBoil at least checks things out. HJ

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm 
hikin_jim wrote:
The issues isn't so much melting through the steel but rather heating up the canisters to the point where they explode.
But there probably isn't enough heat content in that small amount of aluminum to raise the gas pressure in the vessel to the bursting point.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm 
While some of you are arguing about the degree of danger this presents, I'd like to point out that melting stove bits are not a particularly attractive stove feature from a practical standpoint.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 pm 
Well, we know that the stove in the original post (see the end of my blog post for link) generated a 3 foot flame and enough heat to melt aluminum. I think it's not so much an issue of the drops of aluminum heating the canister as it is the whole system taken together. Here's what I think is happening: In order to conduct heat, they attach an aluminum heat exchanger to the bottom of the titanium pot. Hmm. Two different metals. Two different rates of expansion. Every time the pot is heated, the two different metals will be pulling at one another. Now say a weld fails or somehow pulls apart. The aluminum heat exchanger, the one that's absorbing all that heat, is now separated from the pot. Where does all that heat go? Nowhere. In other words, all that heat has got nowhere to go and that thin aluminum heat exchanger is going to get hot, really hot. So you've got this very hot metal underneath the pot and surrounded by the bracket that connects the burner to the pot. That's a lot of heat confined to a fairly small space. Some of that heat is radiated back to the canister. As the canister heats, the pressure inside the canister increases, as the pressure increases, the flame increases. As the flame increases, the temperature under the pot increases, and yet more heat is funneled back to the canister of gas. What you've got (I think; admittedly this is somewhat speculative) is a runaway feedback loop. One would hope that the regulator valve would compensate some for the pressure increase, but judging by what has happened, the pressure becomes so great that the regulator valve does not impede the pressure and the runaway feedback loop continues. Things get really hot. Hot enough apparently to melt aluminum -- more than one thousand degrees Fahrenheit. HJ

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
If the Aluminum gets hot enough it will burn and that is not good at all eek.gif (but pretty).

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm 
I've reworded the original post that started this thread based on feedback I've received. I'm toning the languange down a bit. I will also reword my blog post. This verbiage was in my original post. I think it's appropriate, and I left it unchanged:
Quote:
Please note that not all the facts are in and that this is a CAUTION only at this juncture. The potential consequences of a failure are serious enough that I think a “caution” is warranted even though all the facts are not in.
HJ

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 pm 
Al welded to Ti? Huh? Brazed or soldered, maybe. But welded? Doubt it.