Stewardship
/History 

Gear
/Food/Photo

Support
/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Carbon River to Ipsut Creek CG - New Patrol Cabin 2-26-12
Previous :: Next Topic  
Hikingqueen

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trying to get my butt back in hiking shape, winter working desk job took it's toll. Just wanted some miles in 10ish for starters. I decided to start easy and just go to Ipsut, I'd been to Ranger Falls a few times recently. Saw some friendly NPS guys on 4x4's breaking trail for me on the way in. We waved to each other and make friendly chit chat, beautiful day etc..

I saw the Washington Co Mine sign .25 miles and thought i'd try and find it, no luck, trail was snowy i followed it up but trees and brush down and didn't see it, maybe next time..

Icy water caught my eye

Got to CG and was suprised to see new camp spot signs, bear boxes LOTS of bear boxes, I think it's like one box every 2 camp sites, or so it seemed. No more moving picnic table to reach bear pole yipee! embarassedlaugh.gif

Also new fancy bathrooms, and the biggest shock was patrol cabin!

I had to talk to the guys after I saw all this and get the skinny...they have been building the cabin for last 4 months, staying in tent had indoor wood-burning stove even. They were tearing it down and moving on to other projects for a bit, not sure if it will be finished this year. It's a great start, fondation is solid and those logs..I could live here, if it wasn't right next to the TH. Will be fun to watch it get finish and enjoy the finished project.
I'm also going to enjoy the new campground this summer.
Just a lovely day in the woods only saw 2 guys working and 2 people on trail.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Hiker Mama

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 pm   

Looks like a beautiful trip!

--------------
My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:33 am   

Nice going Queeny.

--------------
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

—Wayne's John Bernard Books in The Shootist
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
tigermn
In Search of Scenery

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 am   

Might I assume the road was plowed or such that snowshoes weren't needed? Looks like a little more snow at the campground.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hikingqueen

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 am   

Road is not plowed but deep snow isn't until campground, I didn't carry snowshoes today, I bet there was a good amount on the way up to Greenlake too.
tigermn
In Search of Scenery

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm   

Any issues getting to the ranger station/parking lot in a normal 2WD 4 door sedan? Of course this all could change in the next few hours.  lol.gif

--------------
My flickr photo site.
Hikingqueen

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 pm   

Road was good yesterday, only tiny patch of snow/ice over bridge  winksmile.gif
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm   

didn't go to this area when it hiked the WT.....looks good especially with the new bear box, etc.

your photos are super....love the icicles up.gif

--------------
bobbi ૐ

"Today is your day!  Your mountain is waiting.  So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Popcorn

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:59 pm   

HQ,

Thanks for the new info.  Is the Ipsut Creek Road now open to vehicular traffic all the way from the MRNP boundary (I forget WS highway number of the paved road the Fairfax Bridge) to the Ipsut Creek CG?
tigermn
In Search of Scenery

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 pm   

Popcorn wrote:
HQ,

Thanks for the new info.  Is the Ipsut Creek Road now open to vehicular traffic all the way from the MRNP boundary (I forget WS highway number of the paved road the Fairfax Bridge) to the Ipsut Creek CG?

No the road is permanently closed to motorized traffic starting at the Carbon Ranger Station (where the pavement ends). You have to either hike or bike the 5 something miles into the campground.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
tigermn
In Search of Scenery

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm   

Hikingqueen wrote:
I saw the Washington Co Mine sign .25 miles and thought i'd try and find it, no luck, trail was snowy i followed it up but trees and brush down and didn't see it, maybe next time..

You didn't miss too much. This is less than 1/3 mile up (steep after the very brief flat part by the road) and I'm not sure if there are more mines beyond.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
Popcorn

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 am   

tigermn wrote:
No the road is permanently closed to motorized traffic starting at the Carbon Ranger Station (where the pavement ends). You have to either hike or bike the 5 something miles into the campground.

Thanks, Tigerman!
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:57 pm   

Love your ice pics HQ!  Looks like a great day!

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Carbon River to Ipsut Creek CG - New Patrol Cabin 2-26-12  
  Happy Birthday the photogger, PribbY!

Jump to: