Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat Mountain (off HWY 20)?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
Anyone been there? I'm interested to know whether the summit is open. I'm looking for something with views. Satellite imagery seems to suggest it is, but I don't know how old the images are.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 am 
I remember there being small trees about knee heighth with the snow back in 2004. It was a real pain to get up there in the winter. Why? All the road walking....and back then, they did not have the road gated so we were able to drive a bit.

Art is an adventure.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 5:03 pm 
Hi, Yana, It's interesting that you asked about this one. huh.gif There are so many Goat Mtns and Peaks in Washington. I had heard that this particular Goat Mtn was a winter scramble that is relatively "safe" during avalanche conditions. But I haven't been able to find any trip reports yet to figure out what the route is. I was looking at that same view on Google earlier today. It looks pretty rugged on the south side above Hwy 20. But if you had access from the north, it seems doable in these current conditions. I was looking for something reasonably safe and yet scenic in the North Cascades for tomorrow. It's going to be sunny, eh? Edit: I have decided not to go, but would love to hear about your trip if you go. ~z

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
I went to Pk 4340 last year, which is just to the E of Goat Mtn. From what I remember looking over at Goat, it should still have some good summit views of Baker, Shuksan and the Sister's Range. I thought I took a picture of it but I can't find it. I'd say go for it

Eric Eames
Hairy Chin

Hairy Chin
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 pm 
The late Dallas Kloke in his 1993 book Winter Climbs One Day Ascents, says: "Goat Mountain 4778' Another Goat Mountain.! Located 6.5 miles northwest of Concrete, Goat offers a good beginner or conditioning trip. The majority of the surrounding area has been logged off. Good views of the Skagit Valley and Mount Baker. The summit has a pointed top." The access in on Sierra Pacific roads from the locked gate across from the Grandy Lake Campground about five miles up the Baker Lake Highway from SR 20. Three summit routes are described in the book. Dallas listed the avalanche hazard as low. He had the ascent time as three to four hours.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Hairy Chin wrote:
The access in on Sierra Pacific roads from the locked gate across from the Grandy Lake Campground about five miles up the Baker Lake Highway from SR 20. Three summit routes are described in the book. Dallas listed the avalanche hazard as low. He had the ascent time as three to four hours
This is excellent information, H.C. Thanks so much. I have looked at the satellite and terrain images on Google Maps to get a sense of this description. The book sounds like a great resource too. "Thanks" to raising3hikers for the good review. I can't wait to read Yana's trip report. wink.gif ~z

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 am 
There certainly are views. Nice place to watch the sun set. The whole thing is very gentle when approached via the route described in the Kloke book. I'll post some pics when I upload them. We ended up walking the road from Baker Lake Road because there's a sign saying no motorized vehicles without a permit. There was active logging going on today.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!