Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Eaglet - March 12, 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
The plan was to meet up with Gil at the TH at 8:00am. By 8:30 no Gil. I took to the Heather Lake trail and followed it up to the top of the switchbacks (2,000' or so) where I headed up for the ridge. The going was rather steep and slick with new snow and the fact that I had forgotten my poles at home mad.gif
Bunch of junk to surmount on the way up to the ridge
Bunch of junk to surmount on the way up to the ridge
Not long after a really crappy section I heard something behind me followed by "Hey Bryan!" I nearly jumped out of my shorts!!! I looked and saw Gil. He'd gotten a late start from home and got stuck in traffic. Turns out he got to the TH about 5 minutes after I took to the trail. As we went up the snow got deeper and I opted for my snowshoes. I started to slip quite a bit and I had a few choice words for myself for forgetting my poles. I haven't slipped so much in such a short period of time in quite a while. The going was steep and my fun meter was at a -1. Finally we got to the ridge and I re-grouped myself and my composure and we continued on. Staying on the ridgetop wasn't the easiest and navigating through, under and around trees was a bugger to say the least. I did the best I could to find us a good route, but eventually Gil's energy meter was near depleated. He decided to head back down and offered me his poles for the rest of the trip. I declined knowing that he'd probably need them on the way down more than I would. I bid him farewell and trudged onward.
So much snow!!
So much snow!!
The ridge was steep and the going was slow! I had to stop quite frequently and catch my breath as breaking trail was taking a lot of time and energy.
The summit is obscured by snow and clouds
The summit is obscured by snow and clouds
The last 400' of gain was the hardest I've done in a while. Snow was about thigh deep and short sections were steep and I found myself crawling more then hiking. I'd get a little respit from time to time but this was killing me! I certainly could have used another 10-20 people to help break trail. Finally the end was near and the slope tapered as I reached the summit.
Summit area
Summit area
I was pretty wet and a bit cold so I didn't stick around the summit too long. I was bummed that I didn't get any views. It would have been really nice to see the lakes and Pilchuck, oh well, I'll take a summit no matter what the views. Oh, from the car at 8:30am, I was on the summit at 12:10pm I stayed for about 5 minutes before heading back. It was so nice to be done breaking trail biggrin.gif
Looking back along the ridge
Looking back along the ridge
Heading back
Heading back
Easy path back to the car
Easy path back to the car
I made smoking time on the way back and found myself at the car by 1:20pm. Tired and wet, I had a smile on my face since I'd gotten back in the mountains and I didn't have any foot or knee pains the while time, that to me made for a successful trip! Another bagged peak was really nice too!!! Now, where to go tomorrow biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 4:16 pm 
Well, looks like I could have made it after all. Probably would have been pooped before an evening of work though. Glad the knee held up and you had a successful trip!

Gil

Gil
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm 
A great day out, even though I arrived late and left early! Sorry about my tardiness, Bryan, and sorry for the scare up there! I was pretty beat by the time I bailed out, but glad to see you made it. A couple of shots of you on the way up:
eaglet1
eaglet1
eaglet2
eaglet2

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm 
Given your experience, I wouldn't blame you if you never did it again. But under better conditions the views from the top are worthwhile, and the trip not so bad. Actually, the part I like the least is the trail through the second growth forest lower down. Unlike you going partly solo, my enjoyment was enhanced by being joined by my wonderful daughter, who I don't get to hike with enough.
Eaglet old growth navigation
Eaglet old growth navigation

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
Bryan... where's the video? I saw it on facebook and got a kick out of it. lol.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 6:59 pm 
Hey Bryan or Gil, Where did the snow start?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Gil

Gil
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
Parking lot! But didnt really get deep until about 2400, n'est-ce pas, Bryan?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 pm 
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostThu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm 
I'm glad I'm not the only one that had the same experience with "The Eaglet". I did it last year in February with the same snow conditions, but better weather. The views from the top are great, but I wouldn't go back unless there was some random reason I needed to. It's for sure needs to be done at least once though! smile.gif