Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wed thru Fri, Ozette loop, petroglyphs, noisy eagles in love
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm 
All this weighs 3.25 pounds
View from campsite Sand Point
View from campsite Sand Point
From sea stack at Sand Point
From sea stack at Sand Point
More sea stack
More sea stack
Low tide Sand Point
Low tide Sand Point
Noisy eagles in love
Noisy eagles in love
Cool fort
Cool fort
Ozette loop 086
Ozette loop 086
Take the long way home
Take the long way home
Persevering
Persevering
South from Sand Point
South from Sand Point
Danger!
Danger!
Alpenglow
Alpenglow
Ozette loop 161
Ozette loop 161
Ozette loop 170
Ozette loop 170
Ozette loop 179
Ozette loop 179
Ozette loop 184
Ozette loop 184
There are many more like this
There are many more like this
My boom box
My boom box
Ozette loop 197
Ozette loop 197
Ozette loop 211
Ozette loop 211
Ozette loop 266
Ozette loop 266
Ozette loop 270
Ozette loop 270
Petroglyph at Wedding Rocks
Petroglyph at Wedding Rocks
Ozette loop 290a
Ozette loop 290a
Ozette loop 291
Ozette loop 291
Ozette loop 292a
Ozette loop 292a
Ozette loop 295
Ozette loop 295
Ozette loop 305
Ozette loop 305
Ozette loop 309
1 label
Ozette loop 309
Ozette loop 311
Ozette loop 311
Ozette loop 315
4 labels
Ozette loop 315
Ozette loop 320
Ozette loop 320

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
I left right from work Tuesday, hit the ferry, and drove to just before the earth drops off, to the home of half fast. I returned the tarp that got left in mike220's truck after the last trip, and as my reward he played the hammered dulcimer for me. A spruce-topped dulcimer, mind you, not a mahogany one. hmmm.gif I had commented on how bright and crisp the music was, and he told me that was the spruce. agree.gif Anyway, he couldn't come on the actual hike, so Wednesday morning it was off to Ozette, just a short drive. I didn't have to pay for entrance to the park because of my America the Beautiful pass, and I didn't have to pay for my permit, because of my Olympic backcountry fee card. biggrin.gif I hit the trail at 10 am, and was in the campground at Sand Point at 11. The boardwalks weren't bad, the level ones, anyway. huh.gif It was high tide almost, so I decided to set up camp at Sand Point, and dayhike down to Yellow Banks in the afternoon, on the outgoing tide. So I did that. There was no one else camped in the whole Sand Point area. The weather was nice, a little cool and breezy, some high clouds, basically what I was expecting. No campfires at Sand Point, so I explored around in the moonlight, which was intense. There were very few waves, so especially at low tide, it was very quiet. I hiked about seven miles with the dayhike. Yellow Banks is a nice little stroll, but there's not really anything there to write home about. Thursday I packed up and moved north to Wedding Rocks. I saw a nice campsite about 1/2 mile before WR, but I kept going, looking for a better one perhaps. I didn't find one, so I went back to the one at the little point-let just south of WR. I did find a nice clear water trickle, out of a spring, not brown water like the streams. I set up camp, and by then it was high tide again, most inconveniently right in the middle of the day, so I hung out and made bacon and eggs with my new frying pan. Awesome. The Ova Easy powdered eggs made excellent scrambled eggs, and the precooked Hormel bacon was its usual indispensable self. Finally the tide went out, and I went on my planned petroglyph hunt at WR. I had the cheat sheet the ranger gave me, with the crappy map that does as much harm as good, and I set to "work". I love hunting for the petroglyphs, it's like being a kid at Easter. It's better though with others to help in the search. It's kind of exhausting as well, scrambling around on those darn slippery boulders. I found most of my favorites, and some new ones (to me), but once again I couldn't find the sailing ship. doh.gif Twice now I haven't been able to find it, yet I did find it once before that. Go figure. I ended up doing a bit over four miles with the back and forth to WR from my campsite. Friday morning I awoke to: rain. Rain and more rain and then rain after that. I packed up inside the tent, made coffee in the sort-of vestibule the tent has, and learned a valuable lesson: if you spill your coffee in the tent, you will be glad your tent has no floor. agree.gif I took off north at 9:30 am, with high tide not until 1:30. You don't need low tide for the stretch between WR and Cape Alava, but you don't want it too high, either. You can get through, but the difficulty is magnified. And it's hard enough, with soft sand, rocks, and lots of downed trees, some going right from the bluff into the ocean. The steady rain and high winds and biting cold weren't helping. Everything was at maximum slipperiness. As bad as the weather was, and it was bad, I was OK, properly dressed, not too hot, not too cold, rain coat and pants doing their jobs. I took a short break at the cape, in the lee of a giant stump, then headed up the Cape Alava trail, to the shelter of the woods. First though the trail goes up an exposed hillside, so the wind and rain get one last free shot in. The hike back from Cape Alava seemed like a lot longer than 3.4 miles or whatever it is. The boardwalks were surprisingly OK, the rain seemed to actually help, plus they are in decent shape, with lots of rocky interludes. I got back to the car at 1:15, changed out of my wet sneakers (the one part of me that got soaked), and about 1:30 started the car to drive home. Or at least I tried to start it. huh.gif It almost seemed a couple of times like it wanted to start. suuure.gif But it wouldn't. It turned over no problem, but wouldn't start. I waited, tried again, said prayers, checked everything I knew to check, loose wires, etc, nothing. I disconnected the battery to clear the fault codes in the computer, nothing worked. No cell service at the TH, either, though I had it at Sand Point. Luckily the ranger was in, and he let me use the phone. I called AAA, they said no problem, they'd send a tow truck, from Port Angeles, he'd be there around 6 pm. It was 3 pm at that point. frown.gif Well, I made lunch, had coffee, watched the deer near the parking lot, read a book, dozed off, found there was cell service over by the boat launch, and spent some time in the ranger station, letting the heat dry me out. I called half fast, he told me of a garage in PA, I called them, they said drop her off, they'd look at her Saturday. My girlfriend got on the ferry to come get me in PA. Then the tow truck comes, the guy says "Oh, I know all about these subies, I have a '91 myself (mine's a '92), I'll show you a trick." He pushes the gas pedal all the way to the floor, really jamming it down, and cranks the car over, and keeps cranking it. Sure enough the mother-loving thing starts up, with a big cloud of smoke and steam. He said it must have gotten flooded, and the gas pedal trick opens everything up to clear the system. confused.gif If he had said he willised the altibob until the frabulator boosted the car's equilibrium, it would have made as much sense to me. dizzy.gif So, I call my girlfriend, she is already on the ferry. frown.gif AAA paid for the rescue, I gave the guy $10 for showing me the trick, and the ferry fare was $25, so the whole escapade cost $35, two hours of my GF's time, and five hours of my time. But it could have been worse, at least my car is home and running, instead of in PA and dead. biggrin.gif PS: the AAA extended towing option is really good if you are a hiker. 100 miles they'll tow me, including across a ferry, no extra charge. So, now my car is running, but it's dark, it's raining, howling winds, I'm exhausted, so then I get to drive home, on those twisty, turn-y roads, poor visibility, some fog, cars coming the other way, it was brutal. One piece of luck, I drove right on to the 9:40 ferry, and then it took off, practically before I came to a stop on the boat. I made it home at 10:30, utterly spent. But it was a great trip overall, my car seems OK, and I knew it was going to rain Friday, so I was prepared, except I left my pack cover at home. doh.gif All the important stuff went into plastic bags or my food canister, so nothing bad happened.

silence

silence
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 am 
a few years ago we did the loop as an overnighter ... camping just north of wedding rocks .. the next morning we went over to hunt for the petroglyphs and found many .. but we also noticed that sadly someone had outlined many of the more prominent ones by etching them with a sharp object or rock -- we reported it to the rangers when we got back to ozette .. l8r we heard in the news that a scout troupe had come thru just before us that weekend .. and while it was supervised by adults some of the kids were the culprits using their knives .. anyhow the park service said they would try to restore them .. whether the were able to or not i wouldn't know since we haven't been back ... it's probably been over 5 yrs since our visit so i would think the elements would have helped too ... but from the looks of things in your photos it appears they were either not successful or others have been repeating the defacing shakehead.gif btw of course it is illegal and punishable to do stuff like this .. but once it's done it's done .. bawl.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 am 
Your car seems to have as many adventures at the trailhead as you do out on the beach. winksmile.gif Nice pics, as always - the sunny skies above Sand Point look idyllic.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 am 
Slugman wrote:
This is the best part. I really like this cozy little set up. I really like the 'Boom Box' too. I think someone should write a handbook on all the handy extra ways to use a Bear Can. I wish I could have join you on this. Next time. smile.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 am 
silence: It looked like they were able to take out the stick figure the scouts did, there was a sort of scrubbed area where it it was. The little scrape marks in other petroglyphs will need weathering to regain their patina. IanB: Yes, my car lives a rich and full life, even when I'm not there. suuure.gif Jake: Too bad our schedules didn't overlap better. The same thing happened with half fast and mike220. The "cozy set-up" is indeed great. The tent is impervious to wind (if set up right to the ground), has excellent ventilation (if set up with the sides raised), and the lack of a floor allows coffee to drain right into the ground. embarassedlaugh.gif It kept me and my gear completely dry even in the steady rain, though ground consisting of pine needles and sand sure helps with the drainage. I like that the side facing the wind can be low, and other side raised, so I get the best of protection and ventilation. Not bad for under one pound, including stakes, and the Tyvek ground sheet. 3/4 pound for the pad, 1.5 for the bag, and that's the 3.25 lbs. I'm not a big fan of the bear canister rule, but given that lemon, lemonade is the best option. I use the canister for sitting on, as a cooking table, it makes a decent bongo drum, and this time I rigged it as a bass amplifier for my little speakers. It worked OK, but I need a thin aluminum sheet with the holes cut just right, and a little duct tape to seal it to the canister. The canister did one last great thing: it kept all my most water-sensitive stuff bone dry on the drenched hike out.

Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 10:46 am 
Nice report Slug and great pictures too! It makes me want to head back to “ just before the earth drops off “ for some more adventuring! Glad 2 of the 3 days were rain free for you! I guess if it starts to rain on your day out/back, then your timing was perfect! I see a couple of petroglyphs I’ve never ran across myself in your photos, very cool indeed. I’ve never found the sailing ship one. Guess I’d better make another trip!

half fast

half fast
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 11:08 am 
First off my tarp is soooooo happy now that it is home safe and sound and no longer having to live with your threats of murder and destruction hairy.gif ... and I have to admit that I am sleeping better as well... winksmile.gif Glad you got some nice weather in before the monsoons hit on Friday. It is fun hunting for the petroglyphs... Nice photos up.gif up.gif Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 am 
The ranger told me that the sailing ship is higher up on the beach than most people think. So when you are in the area of the northern most group of petroglyphs, look uphill from there. The map and cheat sheet the rangers will give does help. But keep in mind that some that are shown nearby to others are actually on the same rock. I never got the signature sunset I usually do. There was a band of clouds near the horizon both days, so the sun went behind that before full-on sunset action occurred. But if you look at picture 170, you will something far more rare: the ocean so calm it gives great reflections shots. I see though that I didn't upload any of the better reflection shots. doh.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 3:49 pm 
Looks like a nice outing. You ever been wet from the underside of your floorless shelter? Either from wind or pooling?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 4:10 pm 
This tent is just one weapon in my arsenal. Normally I would take my MSR Missing Link to the beach, it's huge, and has a floor, a good tent to be in if it rains, nice overhanging awning over the door. But it weighs three pounds, and I was only expecting rain the last night, where some damp gear wouldn't be as big a deal as it would be mid-trip. I could have taken my Mtn Hardwear Stiletto, but it is 2 3/4 pounds, and no more room than the Wild Oasis. The Stiletto would be good for camping on the actual beach, but I wasn't planning on that. So I figured to try the Wild Oasis out as a beach tent. Even though the beach hikes are flat-ish, less weight still equals more pack comfort. One thing about the beach hikes, the ground has truly excellent drainage. It's all pine needles and sand. So no water will pool, with good tent site selection. Then the end of the tent facing into the wind, the foot end, I staked right to the ground. Basically if the weather forecast hadn't been in my favor, I wouldn't have gone at that time. And while I would for sure want a fully-floored tent if I expected water could start pooling up with a torrential downpour, I'm not sure I'd be safe in any of my tents under those conditions. The key is to not be in that position in the first place. That is going to prove harder for me this year, as my six day "weekends" are more likely to contain some bad weather than my old three day weekends used to. Or maybe it will help me, as I can do shorter trips if I want to, and be able to avoid the worst weather. We'll see. But I understand the limitations of the floorless tent, and so far have only used it under favorable circumstances. It stood up to strong winds (but no rain) in the Eagle Cap last year (Ice lake), and rain on this trip. It looks like I'll be buying a used Traptent Contrail, which has a floor, for when I want one. To me the drawback of no floor is that crawling bugs can crawl right in.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm 
The one with the dog, if seen in a better picture, would also show a man holding a gun, pointing it apparently at the dog's head. It is thought to be one of the more recent ones, like the sailing ship. Post-contact for sure. Probably a depiction of a European out hunting with a dog. That 5 is interesting. It looks like maybe a stick, or a crack in the rock. I'll go back to the original and see if I can zoom in on it..... it looks to me to be seaweed or something in a crack in the rock. Weird. I just noticed something about #315: look to the right and down from the dog, in the corner of the rock, there is some other figure there, maybe a face?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 pm 
Thanks for all the tips on this one Sluggy. up.gif I am gonna get the fam out there this year.

woodsrambler

woodsrambler
PostTue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 am 
Looks like you had some nice weather on your trip! Real good photos too up.gif That's to bad about the car stuff, at least it all worked out good in the end, The only thing worse than getting back too a car not starting at a trailhead is getting back to your car broken in too, Plundered and looted shakehead.gif That happened once to me, No good down.gif But once out of hundreds of times I have parked at trails, I guess that's not too bad. Thanks for the post!!!

It's nice to have the Olympic Mountains for your back yard!