Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Movies. Ads. Sounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am 
rant.gif rant.gif We went to the movies yesterday. We sat through 20 minutes of commercials. Then we sat through 20 minutes of previews. Then, another few minutes of plugs for popcorn, soda and snacks that the theater sells. Only then did we get to the movie. Then, the sound was almost at the painful level....I wondered how many decibels I was enduring. For all this, I paid. Anyone else bothered by these phenomena? mad.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 am 
I'm with ya. Any more, I make sure I'm about 15 minutes late for the movie. I don't get the best seats that way, but I miss most of the commercials. I actually do resent paying for the movie and still having to put up with advertising. (If it's a "free" service, sure, advertise all you want. I understand, nothing is actually free. If I'm shellling out money for a service, I'm doing it because I don't want to put up with ads.)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 am 
The last, or maybe second to last, movie I saw in a theater was Star Wars Episode 1. suuure.gif Theaters are now trying to compete with home systems that have big screens and powerful sound. But sometimes more of a good thing isn't always better.

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 am 
I don't go often so I don't mind the previews. but that is what Iphones or nintendo ds are for.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am 
When I was a kid in the 80's: Movies theaters didn't show commercials VCR tapes didn't have commercials on them Only TV had commercials and it was free Now everything is much more expensive (and its not just inflation) and everything has a zillion commercials. And they wonder why the kids today prefer to pirate their entertainment...

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Ziploc

Ziploc
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 8:34 am 
Way too many advertisements before the start of the movie. down.gif They are called "trailers" because they used to follow the feature movie? Bring back those days.

Badger

Badger
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 pm 
If I know the theater is going to be minimally packed then I show up late to avoid the commercials. As for the price of snacks...outrageous. Enough so that one individual has decided enough is enough and is taking the theaters to court over their price gouging. http://sullivanentertainmentlaw.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/man-sues-movie-theater-over-8-popcorn-and-why-snacks-cost-so-much/

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm 
Hey, lookout bob, I agree that that is way too much advertising at the theatre these days and resent it as well. But I would imagine it also depends on where you are viewing the movie--some theatres are less onerous with their advertising. (Landmark Theatres in Seattle are pretty good.) As for sound levels, previews are usually louder for some reason, so I sit through them. But once the movie begins and it's still too loud, I have no problem walking out to speak to a manager or someone in charge. I ask them to turn it turn to comfortable levels. I have done this a number of times over the years. If they are reluctant, I can always request a refund and see it somewhere else. But I've never had to do that. They usually comply if you are polite. I can't imagine sitting through an entire movie with sound too loud, noisy patrons or any distraction for that matter. I would leave and take my business elsewhere. ~z

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 5:41 pm 
That is one of the main reasons I rarely go see a movie in the theater. But even renting discs is getting irritating now. It takes forever for newer releases to get to Netflix or Redbox. And lately I've been getting more discs that don't let you skip straight to the movie. It boots right into previews for the studios other titles and won't let you go straight to the menu or skip them, just fast forward through them. Sometimes you can press stop-stop-play to bypass, not always. Annoying.

mike

mike
PostMon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 pm 
Local theater does not show commercials. They'd be out of business fast if they did.