Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buckhorn To Iron To Worthington Traverse (09/20/2011)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 am 
Since the submissions are down this time of year, here's one from the end of the summer. A video by Bryan:
Short Version Bryan and I took the escalator to Marmot Pass. Our original plan was to do Buckhorn Mountain with the possible add-on of Iron Mountain but in the end we didn't stop until we got to Mount Worthington. By then it was getting late in the day so we dropped down directly into the Big Quilcene valley and went home. Long Version Bryan and I took the escalator to Marmot Pass. From there we failed to find the boot path up onto west shoulder of Buckhorn Mountain. We found ourselves directly west of the mountain on the Tubal Cain trail. Instead of backtracking we ascended east off-trail until we joined up with the boot path. This took us to the large boulders at the summit area. An easy scramble allowed access to the highest point.
Both Buckhorns
Both Buckhorns
Puget Sound And Hood Canal
Puget Sound And Hood Canal
Views of Constance and Inner Constance to the south we sort of good but I liked the backdrop of the Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Seattle was visible to the west and Mystery, Fricaba, Deception were visible to the east, to the northwest, Graywolf, Baldy, Tyler and to the northeast Townsend. We took time to relax for a few minutes and eat a snack.
West Buckhorn Summit
West Buckhorn Summit
Graywolf And Baldy
Graywolf And Baldy
Mystery, Hal Foss, And Fricaba
Mystery, Hal Foss, And Fricaba
The direct descent east of the summit didn't look good so we dropped down a few hundred feet onto the north face before traversing to the saddle between the two summits. From the saddle we scrambled over a small rock rib and then picked our way up through a series of short gullies filled with loose rocks. Scrambling to the summit of east Buckhorn was short easy work.
West Buckhorn From The East
West Buckhorn From The East
Scrambling Up East Buckhorn
Now the summit bug bit us and we stayed only a few minutes before trying to figure out how to get to the next summit over, Iron Mountain. We could see it down below us but there seemed to be a major drop-off between us and the next saddle. Bryan went ahead to inspect our chances of a direct descent from the summit. His findings were that it might be possible but past a chimney section he couldn't see what else was below. I didn't like it. We didn't know it, but we were about to encounter the crux of the day.
Worthington And Iron Seen From East Buckhorn
Worthington And Iron Seen From East Buckhorn
On The East Face Of East Buckhorn
On The East Face Of East Buckhorn
I recommended that we move off the summit a bit to the south before trying to find a way down. This turned out to be a good decision. We descended more loose rock in a gully (it seems all the summits on this ridge have gullies on the south side of the summit block). Then we crossed over a rock rib onto the east face. It was steep and exposed and a little crumbly in spots. There was a complex array of indentations on the face which allowed a little protection from the exposure. We followed these cracks left and right and down, trying to get to the bottom of the face.
Our Route On East Buckhorn
Our Route On East Buckhorn
At one point we had to cross a juniper bush (thanks for the correction Cartman) with nothing to hold onto except, juniper. The bush left spiny leaves in our skin. The scrambling was mostly Class 3 but a few Class 4 sections were unavoidable. I remember facing in down-climbing a rib with Bryan doing the same in a gully next to me when one of my handholds shattered and fell into bits and pieces. Thank goodness for two hands! Near the bottom of the face the route seemed to dead-end. We were forced to traverse across a steep loose section with only the reassurance that we were almost down. We really didn't know if the route would go until we completed it. The whole time I was mentally preparing to backtrack.
Iron Mountain
Iron Mountain
East Buckhorn Seen From Iron
East Buckhorn Seen From Iron
At the base of the face, traversing a steep rotten slope was also a challenge. The Olympic Range is the only place I have ever encountered steep slopes which are loose on top but somehow disturbingly solid just underneath the surface. Olympic climbers will know what I'm talking about. When we came to Iron Mountain on the far side of the saddle, things eased up a bit. We ascended more short gullies and came to a bit of a false summit. The true summit was a knob formation just north of the false summit. We took turns going over there.
Buckhorn Lake Below
Buckhorn Lake Below
Near The Summit
Near The Summit
Gully On The South Face
Gully On The South Face
Looking over at Worthington as our next objective, I told Bryan what I could remember about the peak which wasn't much. But I knew it was doable and the way to go made use of the open southern slopes of the mountain. Looking at the massive hulk of a ridge which separated us from the next key saddle did not inspire confidence. We couldn't see the far side of the connecting ridge as it rose up like a separate peak. Down below on the north side we could see an open rocky basin. We decided to make use of that for reaching the next saddle. After our exciting experience on east Buckhorn, we didn't feel like tackling any more uncertainties.
Iron Summit Knob
Iron Summit Knob
Iron Summit And Mount Worthington
Iron Summit And Mount Worthington
Iron Summit Panorama
Iron Summit Panorama
Worthington And The Basin Below
Worthington And The Basin Below
False Summit Seen From Summit
False Summit Seen From Summit
From the summit we descended a short distance onto the south face of Iron before scrambling around to the eastern ridge crest. We crossed the ridge and descended loose rock and down-sloping ledges until we were low enough to traverse over to the Iron-Worthington saddle. We had to skirt some snow patches carefully without crampons. Our spirits were lifted by a sparse patch of Lupine toughing-it-out in the rocky slopes just below the saddle.
Gnarled Tree
Gnarled Tree
Gully On The South Face
Gully On The South Face
Iron Ore On Iron Mountain
Iron Ore On Iron Mountain
Ridge Crest And Spires
Ridge Crest And Spires
Red Iron Vein
Red Iron Vein
Lupine Below Iron/Worthington Saddle
Lupine Below Iron/Worthington Saddle
From the saddle we made an easy ascending traverse on the open southern slopes. The summit formation was visible and this was enough to draw us on. When we got there we found an interesting fin formation about 25 feet high bisecting the ridge. I was feeling a bit drunk on the huge success of the day so I purposely picked a harder line to climb directly up the east face of the fin. On top I found a register in a PVC pipe. Bryan joined me and we sat there for awhile reflecting on what we had just done. I wondered if anyone else had ever downclimbed east Buckhorn as we had. In any case, it was a 4-summit day. Very good!
Southern Slopes Of Worthington
Southern Slopes Of Worthington
High On Worthington
High On Worthington
Looking Back At Iron And The Buckhorns
Looking Back At Iron And The Buckhorns
The Summit Formation
The Summit Formation
The Easy Way
The Easy Way
Summit Fin
Summit Fin
Scrambling Up To The Summit
Scrambling Up To The Summit
So what were our options now? We had to get back down into the Big Quilcene valley, and no time to doddle because it was getting late. I had heard of people descending from Buckhorn on the southern scree slopes in just a matter of minutes. I was hoping that we could find the same scree here to speed us on our way. But it was not so. After traversing some grassy slopes westward we descended directly. We came into taller fresher grasses and stumbled onto the hidden lair of a thick swarm of flies. They landed all over us and there were too many to fight. Thankfully they weren't biting. I pulled the brim of my hat low to keep them out of my eyes. Bryan wasn't saying a word. He was angry about the swarm but keeping it to himself.
Big Quilcene Valley
Big Quilcene Valley
Constance And Inner Constance
Constance And Inner Constance
The Brothers And Constance
The Brothers And Constance
From Constance To Mystery And Everything In Between
From Constance To Mystery And Everything In Between
Iron Seen From Worthington Summit
Iron Seen From Worthington Summit
Bryan Signing In
Bryan Signing In
Peak B And Tyler
Peak B And Tyler
Graywolf
Graywolf
Seattle
Seattle
Scrambling Down
Scrambling Down
Scrambling Down
Scrambling Down
We were now paying the price for our successes and the mountain threw us another challenge. Underneath the thick, tall grass, large round stones were becoming more and more frequent. I had to slow down to avoid rolling an ankle as firm footing was becoming impossible. We were happy to enter the trees and get away from the flies but we didn't know that there was one last hardship waiting for us. The deadfall here was atrocious. We scrambled over and under large piles of downed trees as snaggle-branches grabbed at our arms and legs, reluctant to let us go. It seemed to go on and on like that for quite awhile. It was starting to get dark. But finally we came back to the trail, where we shifted into neutral and coasted all the way back to the parking lot.
One Last Shot Before We Go Down
One Last Shot Before We Go Down
Nice Slopes Before It Got Nasty
Nice Slopes Before It Got Nasty
Looking Back Up At The Narrow Summit Fin
Looking Back Up At The Narrow Summit Fin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 am 
This was really an amazing trip!!!! It had so much to offer as far as terraine, views, challenges and teamwork.
Buckhorn Mt
Buckhorn Mt
Up NE Buckhorn
Up NE Buckhorn
Iron Mt
Iron Mt
Traversing to Iron Mt
Traversing to Iron Mt
When we first hatched this plan we wanted to see if we could do the traverse without dropping so far down between NE Buckhorn and Iron as we had heard about so many others doing. The recon below NE Buckhorn did show a "possible" but very challenging route and I'm glad that we opted for another way off the summit instead. I didn't get pictures when we were coming down NE Buckhorn, but It was certainly a challenge and very rewarding when we were down.
NE Buckhorn. We came down the left face
NE Buckhorn. We came down the left face
Mount Worthington (4)
Mount Worthington (4)
On the way to Worthington
On the way to Worthington
Mount Worthington (2)
Mount Worthington (2)
Adam on the summit of Mt Worthington
Adam on the summit of Mt Worthington
I'm not much of a writer, so I'll leave you with Gimpilator's words and my video which he already posted.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 10:41 am 
Nice!!! hockeygrin.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 11:56 am 
Nice job Adam!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif (One for each summit!) Much as I would love to make this entire traverse - I will never, ever, ever cross this section:
There are relatively brush-free routes between Shelter Rock Camp and both the Iron-Worthington saddle and the Worthington-Hawk saddle (Tull Pass). I've seen what lies between, and I don't envy you that experience. lol.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 pm 
Great information! Thank you so much for posting... I will be trying this exact traverse sometime this season! smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
The Easy Way
The Easy Way
Is this showing your route off of Iron?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 2:06 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Is this showing your route off of Iron?
Actually that's the best way up the east side of the summit block of Worthington. Starting below the southwest face of the summit fin, descend a few feet to the left of the ridge crest. Scramble 10 feet up an easy crack and then follow the top of the fin to the summit. Unfortunely I didn't take a lot of photos descending from Iron. Our route was somewhat circuitous as we avoided the more exposed spots. May be Bryan will post some photos of it later today.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm 
Really cool report. I did East Buckhorn last summer and thought how cool it looked to continue West from there. It is a really unique place.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Actually that's the best way up the east side of the summit block of Worthington
Ahh, gotcha. I see the same grassy/heathery patch in the scrambling down pics. That makes more sense.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
"Solid" use of a day. Ya gotta be peakbaggers to be traversing all that Olympic junk. BTW, the spiny plant you grabbed onto was likely juniper. Heather is soft.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 2:48 pm 
cartman wrote:
BTW, the spiny plant you grabbed onto was likely juniper. Heather is soft.
Thank you for the correction. I think you're right, it was juniper.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm 
I posted some pics and I'll look on my computer when I get home to see if I have anymore.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 am 
Nice report, especially at this time of year. How did the route look from Worthington to the saddle south of Tull canyon? The drop from Tull saddle to Quilcene trail is easy as I recall.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Mar 24, 2012 10:17 am 
Phil - To answer your question, I think it would have been easy to traverse further west before dropping down. For the people who are planning to do these peaks in the future, it's probably better to do it that way. We just descended from Worthington because we were making it up as we went along and didn't know any better.