Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Illabot to remain OPEN
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am 
I figure we could use some good news for a change. An appeal reversed the Forest Service's decision to close the Illabot Road, so it's to remain open. Note: that's what the secret social was about back in February. Thanks to all who contributed to the effort. I'll send personal notes later. Though legal counsel is not necessary for any NEPA process, we chose to hire an attorney to provide the framework for the appeal. We couldn't afford to have her do the whole appeal, though! We had to do a lot of our own reasearch, and she reviewed it and made suggestions. It was an interesting process, and wow, is there ever a lot of statute, policy and amendments to wade through! We didn't want to just throw in a laundry list of b.s. hoping something would stick. We really wanted to research it and be careful, because the Forest Service folks work hard, and it's difficult, if not impossible, to get everything right for the agency, for environment, for budget, and all users ; we didn't want to say something we didn't honestly feel was true. So it's great to celebrate, but please lets not rub anyone's noses in it. It was not fun to submit an accusatory document to an agency I respect, and then face the District Ranger afterwards during the meeting we had afterwards. The win is great, but the concept of keeping roads open is precarious at best, so reasonable continued access to public lands is not out of the woods (no pun intended).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am 
up.gif up.gif Thanks, Kim. I needed that after yesterday.

cartman

cartman
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 am 
Great news. Thanks for your efforts and everyone who contributed to keeping this open. Well done.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:10 am 
Thanks for the great news, Kim. Here's to hoping that the Whacko Watch, Pill-popping A-hole Society, and Nominal Coalition of Crazy Contrarians will leave it and the Suiattle the hell alone.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am 
Fantastic news. Encouraging to see what can happen when less energy is wasted on debate and we find a way to unite.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:19 am 
How permanent is this? Was this some kind of stay of execution, or a full pardon? hmmm.gif In any case, thanks, Kim, and thanks to all those fabulous human beings who helped out at least a little. You are all saints, destined to sit on God's right hand in heaven. embarassedlaugh.gif (I sent in a small check myself)

iron

iron
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 am 
awesome work kim. thanks for being the catalyst in this. without you... bawl.gif

JimK

JimK
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 am 
I'll second Tom's statement. I cannot recall any time when hikers got together on their own and organized a carefully thought out response to a decision. Time and money were spent to do it right. Much thanks goes to Kim for organizing and doing a lot of the work. Still, we could not have done it without grass roots support. Thank you to all who participated. There will be more time in the future when our voices will be needed. I have no doubt that there are folks here who disagree with the appeal. Not all roads should be kept open. Budgets are limited. Still, there is not a lot of access left to the west side of the Glacier Peak Wilderness. I think this one was worth fighting for.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 11:46 am 
Slugman wrote:
Was this some kind of stay of execution, or a full pardon
Full pardon.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
headrub.gif Thanks, Kim, you've made my day. Now if I could only get the BPJ story of the bluff-charging bear out of my head, I'll do a trip back in there. paranoid.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:13 pm 
Fantastic. up.gif biggrin.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 pm 
Slugman wrote:
headrub.gif Thanks, Kim, you've made my day. Now if I could only get the BPJ story of the bluff-charging bear out of my head, I'll do a trip back in there. paranoid.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
You're covered: that was Boulder Lk off Tenas Creek. up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm 
Oh, I thought it was at the Jordans. doh.gif I've already been to Boulder, so yes, I am covered. cool.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm 
Is it paid off, or is there still debt?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
Good question. My donation was pretty paltry, based I guess on a cynical belief it probably wouldn't help. So count me in for some more, if needed.