Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > For Those In Favor Of Suiattle Rd Repair To The End
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 11:02 am 
The WTA supports option B! Good job. up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Thank you kite, nlunstrum, Elvis, Don, and Mtn Man for sending in your comments.

Jeff Chapman

Jeff Chapman
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I just got back from Darrington where I learned that the Glacier Peak cafe is now closed for good, and the lumber mill is down to one shift. Not much left of that town. They rely on recreation dollars, and the Suiattle Road having been virtually closed since 2006 is killing them. (the Oso General Store is shut down, too, but that was always a shaky place for a business....)
My ex-wife was a principal at Darrington some 10-12 years ago, and at the time we had a place in Sauk Prairie. I remember the town (Darrington) was trying to convert to a recreation/tourism economy, and even then it was tough going. The White Chuck and Suiattle were key elements of the conversion, along with the Mt Loop Highway/Monte Cristo visitors. I thought that things would turn around. Very sorry to hear about the Oso General Store as well. It was a fine place to stop and get ice cream. Before that I fought fire for the USFS out of Darrington back in the early '80s. Things were really hopping then........but that is a different story. I appreciate the efforts everyone is making to get the road fixed. It is hard to be tied to a rural community and not know what is like to feel like your community is a gameboard for out of area folks to roll their ideological dice on, changing and in some cases destroying your lives.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm 
Jeff, you'd cry if you saw the compound now. They're down to 3 bunkhouses, the rest having been sold. The old fashioned weather station is dismantled; it was so neat to sneak in there and look at the gauges and that little piece of wood that determined dryness and Fire Danger Level. It was fenced in, but the gate was never locked. But yeah, the town really is just a punching bag to some outsiders who don't give a sh## about them or their history or ties to the community. Ole Nels Bruseth would roll over in his ever lovin' grave if he knew what was going on. Which reminds me - I know they were old and needed to go, but yet another thing gone - those huge old trees in the cemetery are gone; even the one that shaded Bruseth's headstone. I like to get to know the communities I pass through on my way to a trailhead. Actually, I don't just "pass through;" I build in time to stop and hang out; city park, or cafe - I've even dropped in to visit the library in Darrington to check out a history display they had - the librarian was awfully nice; she gave me directions to a secret local trail chock-full of old growth - Jeff, you probably know about it. Its right there, off Sauk Prairie Road.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 6:12 am 
Funny. If I mention the dying town stuff I get told I need to move to the city. It isn't just Darrington. That stuff happened all up and down in every town that relied on NF timber. Our community has the same company running the mill and we've had a shift laid off also. The only timber towns thriving are the ones near cities, which can be bedroom communities.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 am 
Aren't you the one who said you boycott the stores in your own town if people from somewhere else opened them? Yes, you are. Maybe that's why your town is dying, the people are so unfriendly, and they cut their own throats. When you laugh at other people's misfortunes (as you claim you do), and sneer at their children (which you also claim you do), and call them by insulting nicknames, then why should they care about you?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 am 
Let's go. Get out of bed, off your butts, get those comments in supporting Alt B and then get outside on this beautiful day

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 am 
Darrington is trying to help itself; there's big community spirit. New festivals and new traditions being worked on, monthly dances, as well as a Business Association, and a new organization started for volunteers to help the Forest Service with light road maintenance. The timber industry and mining drove the town, but later embraced recreation as its replacement. But with constant delays in getting the SUiattle road up & running, they're hamstrung.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am 
Suiattle River Road comments are due April 20th. Send support for Alternative B, repair to the end. Just a one-liner if you want. "I support Alternative B, the repair to the end of the Suioattle Road." You don't have to be a literary genius. Please do this! !) Send to: wfl.suiattleriverroad@dot.gov Subject line on the email WA FS ERFO 071-2023 Suiattle RIver Road .

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 pm 
Quark wrote:
The timber industry and mining drove the town
As it once did in Seattle, Renton, etc.. I know a couple in Darrington who commute every day to Boeing, Everett for work. They enjoy living in Darrington and they breed purebred dogs there. Each work day 300 people commute from Yakima, Wa. to Puget Sound and back for work. Commuter's. What gets me is that some folks in foothills and mountain towns don't realize that living there is the kind of thing that most of us dream about for our retirement. Yet they want the good life now and a job to boot. Maybe they should become commuters if they want work. Join the crowd. "As with college town, resort town, and mill town, the term commuter town describes the place's predominant economic function." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedroom_community

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
deerhunter

deerhunter
PostSat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Let's go. Get out of bed, off your butts, get those comments in supporting Alt B and then get outside on this beautiful day
up.gif

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostSun Apr 15, 2012 12:00 am 
Thanks for the reminder! My letter is sent! I'm also adding a reminder to facebook in hopes I can reach others smile.gif up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostSun Apr 15, 2012 12:46 pm 
Schryder

Schryder
PostSun Apr 15, 2012 11:42 pm 
Sent. Thanks for the reminder.

treebugger

treebugger
PostMon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 pm 
Thanks for the use of the letter in support of Alternative B. I sent it this evening and added a personal note as a PS. "I have hiked and worked with volunteer trail crews on a number of occasions in that area prior to the most recent washout. The last time was through the glorious old growth forest on the Sulfur Creek Trail with my daughter who was just a toddler at the time. She's eleven now and I hope to share future wanderings with her in one of my favorite areas in the North Cascades...the Suiattle River watershed. Thank you."