Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Alpine Lakes Weed Watchers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 pm 
There's a new program in The Mountaineers - an effort to clear Alpine Lakes Wilderness of invasive vegetation. Invasives choke out native plants, and this affects forgaging, refuge, and shelter for bugs, amphibians, birds, and scores of other critters. Use your GPS to map invasives in ALW, then log information onto a website. In some cases, you'll be removing the invasives (but not all the time). They just need to know location of said weed in the majority of cases. Some of these places are areas you'll be visiting this summer anyway; I've been working on a spreadsheet of trail segments throughout ALW for this program, and as you know, there are so many loop opportunities! No requirement to be a Mountaineer member to participate as a leader or assistant. click on link I provided above to register for training dates (no need to be a member): June 3rd all day at North Bend RD for leaders June 27 6:30 - 8:30 for assistants

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 pm 
Thanks Kimmy.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 4:50 pm 
I chop down thistles whenever I see them, but that doesn't get the root. Good to know there is someone out there willing to finish the job... smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm 
Yah, this is a cool project. Easy, too. Just eyeball the plant & do a waypoint.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 3:10 pm 
Whacking away at foxgloves with a machete is my idea of a good time, but I'm allergic to Mountaineers.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 3:30 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I chop down thistles whenever I see them. . . .
According to my field guide, two species of thistle are indigenous to the Cascades.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm 
Musk thistles, milk thistles and bull thistles are commonly carried in horse poo and end up growing beside the trail. The indigenous variety (seen 'em, don't know what they are called) are small and weak and inoffensive. The invasive thistles make a bold statement of thistleness, and I kill them on sight. One of my sweetest kills was a lone bull thistle growing trailside near the Snow lake outlet in the Enchantments. It must have hitched a ride in a hikers boot tread, impacted in some left-over horse poop. You've got a point though - got too carried away and I might wipe out some actual native thistle, though I'm pretty good on my thistle lore and hope I haven't.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 4:49 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Whacking away at foxgloves with a machete is my idea of a good time, but I'm allergic to Mountaineers.
Better than whacking away at Mountaineers with a machete and being allerigic to foxgloves!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Better than whacking away at Mountaineers with a machete -
Maybe human people are the weed.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
belowfellow
Transplant

belowfellow
Transplant
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm 
Kim: I met you at the initial meeting for this program. Nice to make your acquaintance and glad to see that the project is moving forward. kbatku: there is a native thistle that grows quite commonly on W side trails. Cirsium edule.

"Wilderness is bliss"
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 pm 
belowfellow wrote:
kbatku: there is a native thistle that grows quite commonly on W side trails. Cirsium edule.
Yeah - they are kind of weak and spindly and native looking. The invasive thistles are much hardier and make a real bold statement. It's not hard to tell the difference once you've seen them - and the invaders MUST DIE!! smile.gif

veronika

veronika
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 pm 
It won't let me register because my status is inactive for the mountaineers. frown.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 pm 
Veronica, I'll find out what the deal is. Non Mountaineers are welcome to join - it's a collaboration with King Count, the USFS and MTS Greenway, and a really big deal. I'll let you know what I find oout, OK??? Belowfellow, that's so cool! I enjoyed chatting with the locals guys who really dig cleaning up the weeds. That's some dedication!

veronika

veronika
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 9:51 pm 
I already know what it is. I was a mountaineer and decided not to renew as it really doesn't benefit me so they deactivated my account. Because I already have a login, I can't sign up for a guest one. I will just have to call them tomorrow. Thanks for the assistance Kim! I will get signed up eventually!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.