Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sierra 2012 - Master Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am 
As many of you know the heavy snowpack in the Northwest is contrasted by the incredibly low snowpack in the Sierras this year. I know of at least a dozen NWHikers that plan to make a trip down there this year. Hopefully we can share beta here and link to all their reports. Going to Sierras this year w/ Dates: Jenjen (lives there now) Opus (Doing the PCT) Slugman plus crew (mid-June) Trip Report mike220 (riding with Slugman) RayD (lives in Cali) ree n' Riverside Baker DogNTallGrass BarbE, SD & Darryl 6/5 -6/17 Trip Report Dona and I( Bigfoot Jim) are PCTing Kennedy Meadows (south) to Old Station June 1 to Aug 1 Trip Report Karen² & Schmidt Alti-Babe 06/30-7/15 bobbi & silly_traveler 6/21-23 ~ 1000 Island Lakes Trip Report Thinking of visiting the Sierras this year: kite puzzlr - considering joining a friend doing the PCT for a week RichP Links: Official Inyo National Forest Website (confusing because old site is still on the web and some searches still point to it) Topo Maps Dan at closedcontour created this very useful map. Eastern Sierra Weather Center NOAA snowpack analysis California State Snowpack Data Sierra snowpack map (Updated May 1st)
An overview of the Sierra Snowpack, north central and south. Compare various years to the max, min, and average. Daily snow depth summary for various Sierra locations. Note that this is depth and not the more useful SWE (snow water equivalent). Hiking Forum: High Sierra Topix SummitPost Yosemite Forum.

Wiki summmary last edited by David¹ on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:27 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 20, 2012 11:31 am 
I just joined High Sierra Topix, some good info there. Example: there's a heat wave going on right now down there, snow is melting very fast, what little there is. Peak river flows from snow melt usually happens in mid-June, this year it is looking like May 1st. Here's a nice quote: "Also there's a report on the Whitney Portal site that Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley & Whitney Portal roads will all open officially on April 27 (though the latter two are apparently unofficially open already). For Horseshoe Meadows that's also about 6 weeks earlier than last year." cool.gif Horseshoe meadows road goes up to almost 10,000 ft.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 20, 2012 11:34 am 
Where are you planning on going Sluggo?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 am 
mum.gif wink.gif

JJHoffman

JJHoffman
PostFri Apr 20, 2012 8:29 pm 
Meeting a buddy in Reno and heading down 395 into the sierras 7/30-8/6. Still planning destinations and it looks like everything should be accessible (snow-wise) by then. Virginia Lakes and Twin Lakes are on the list so far....

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed May 02, 2012 10:47 am 
dry ground and little snow at 10,800'....sheesh! "Only a couple patches of easy to cross snow between the trailhead at 6500' and Birch Lake at 10800'. No equipment required to get to the lake and I camped on dry ground at Birch Lake" http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California-Hiking-Scrambling/Sierra-Nevada-Hiking/Birch-Lake-428-42912/22710689_DRKRsB#!i=1820630156&k=LnqM3kL

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed May 02, 2012 11:49 am 
We flew over Yosemite area on Sunday and admired the relatively reduced snowpack.

mike

mike
PostWed May 02, 2012 6:18 pm 
Anyone flying south in the near future let me know what the Warners look like. Reportedly 50-70% normal.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu May 03, 2012 6:24 am 
This photo of the Kearsarge Lakes was taken April 28th from 11,760ft Kearsarge Pass
Source: Summit Post

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
ree

ree
PostThu May 03, 2012 8:30 am 
Slugman wrote:
mum.gif wink.gif
I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.... hockeygrin.gif wink.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 03, 2012 5:43 pm 
If you want to avoid the crowded trails check out Steve Roper`s The Sierra High Route. A good companion book is The Last Season by Eric Blehm.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostFri May 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
I have updated the Sierra Snowpack Map (see above) To get an idea how extraordinary that is here is the one for the Northwest
Tioga Pass is snow free and scheduled to be opened on Monday - that's the earliest date since the all time record was set in 1977 (records go back to 1933) Posted today on Summit Post w/r/t Bishop Pass:
Quote:
Pen and I just got back. We carried our skis up Taboose Pass, skied and carried down to about 10,000 on the other side, looked toward Mather Pass and abandoned the trip. There is virtually no snow to ski on in the Sierra at 11,000 feet. The conditions at and around Taboose Pass remind me of late June in normal snow season. IMO, give it three weeks and you can walk anywhere up to 13,000' without encountering much snow at all.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Tuskadero

Tuskadero
PostFri May 04, 2012 3:55 pm 
Amazing. I swear there was almost as much snow as this when I hiked the JMT last late Aug/early Sept!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 04, 2012 5:07 pm 
I've been posting over at High Sierra Topix, the folks there have given the thumbs up to my plans. up.gif There is one pass for which we may need microspikes, but even that may be wide open before we go. I might, just maybe, be coming back having done my first 14'er. hmmm.gif One problem, we may be heading into prime mosquito time, no one really knows for sure, the conditions this year are pretty rare. I'm really looking forward to parking the camper van at 10,000 ft. The minute I take my first step, I'll be at the highest elevation I've ever hiked. suuure.gif

mike220
Slug's taxi service

mike220
Slug's taxi service
PostFri May 04, 2012 7:36 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I'm really looking forward to parking the camper van at 10,000 ft. The minute I take my first step, I'll be at the highest elevation I've ever hiked. suuure.gif
its gonna be like the moon landing for us, "one small step for a slug, one giant leap for slugkind" unless your driving, then it will be a bunch of us yahoos jumping out ahead of you party.gif

"Natural stupidity trumps artificial intelligence every time"