Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shi Shi Beach Clean Up 4/20/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm 
For me clean up day is clean up weekend. My weekend started early Friday morning. Picked up Wolfman and son on the way to Edmonds/Kingston ferry. Managed to hit the beach by noon Friday. Upon setting up camp i discovered the cat left a surprise in my hammock. gag.gif After that long of a drive it was something i would just have to live with. hurl.gif I cleaned it out the best i could and proceeded to take a power nap. embarassedlaugh.gif After my nap i started to tidy up the beach. Wolfman an i each packed out a load that evening. We bumped into nwhiker Todd Ler just arriving while packing out the first load of trash. Saturday: I awoke at dawn scarfed some breakfast and coffee, and started picking up more trash. I had more than one load by 10:00 am. About that time a huge group of mountaineers arrived, and headed for point of the arches. After a snack, i headed packed out load number 2. On the return trip to the beach there seemed to be an endless convoy of folks packing out trash! rocker.gif After lunch a picked up some more and packed out load number 3. Todd Ler one managed to squeeze in 3 loads on Saturday! up.gif up.gif Sunday morning the weather was still good, went for a stroll down to the arches. I have to say....the beach is was well picked over sans some super heavy stuff. Upon breaking camp, we packed some more out. Packed in a roll of 25 trash bags....i have 3 left over. biggrin.gif Photo dump below.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm 
Nice work Hulkmeister. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm 
thank you very much! sorry about your hammock gag.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
half fast

half fast
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Way to go everyone... you all ROCK... up.gif up.gif Nice there was a great turn out for Shi Shi and Pt. of Arches too !! Thanks for helping clean up that section of beach... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm 
Thank you! party.gif

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
kite

kite
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 pm 
Awesome job, very sorry i was unable to join in this.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 pm 
HULK that is me who took the photo of you and you of I ( #5359) My shoulders ached from hauling that load out. I left behind far more than I could carry. I organized that pile ( #5351) from a drift wood pile. I spent about 2 hours throwing down bottles floats and styrofoam. I also found some of the construction timbers. I de-capped the bottles and hoped that others returning from POA could squeeze some of it into their bags. There was far more to the north of the log pile. Shi Shi was the dirtiest I have ever seen it. Hulk is a Zen master of balancing loads, it was a thing to see.

Wolfman

Wolfman
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm 
I am going to tag on to Hulksmash's post, no reason to start another thread. it was a great weekend for the clean up, nice weather, no rain, but not to hot for work. Over all a great trip. The kid even liked it! I managed to make a total of 3 round trips all with trash. Saturday was the hard one, I carried out a big load of floats, about 10 in total plus a large plastic 10 gallon square bucket full of little floats. Quite fun getting up the hill!! I think it took about 20 minutes just to do that. I will plan a this next year too. Everything worked great as far as gear and did some extra break in on the new boots also. The last load out was some floats, a bag of Styrofoam, and a real nice shovel too!(IMG_5382), I was amassed how much of that stuff (Styrofoam) was on the beach. In all shapes and sizes as you can see! Wolfman

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Apr 23, 2012 9:33 pm 
Hulk...Thanks for your dedication in keeping it nice for the rest of us up.gif up.gif up.gif .
Hulksmash wrote:
Upon setting up camp i discovered the cat left a surprise in my hammock.
Hey, the cat's gotta live too. Our cat is epileptic, takes phenobarbital twice a day but still has routine grand mal seizures and pisses on the carpet as he flips up into the air. It's just part of life!! Edit: Sorry I forgot to thank Wolfman and son also. THANKS!!

Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 am 

Wolfman

Wolfman
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 am 
Nice to meet you Todd, and great work on the clean up! Nice before and after shot too. biggrin.gif Wolfman

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 9:02 am 
Hey Wolfman....recognize this couple Yea.. they joined the clean up while on vacation from France!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am 
Being in the unemployment line 'you tend to see jobs everywhere. I see one here.Weekly clean-ups forever.(Wherever water meets the shoreline) I'd do it,if there was such a job.It's not below me..... Ocean is where we get food.Really important we keep it clean. It's not just the coast,trash is everywhere..... frown.gif Thanks for your efforts. up.gif up.gif Everyone should be required to do this at least once in their lifetime. I did a coastal clean up long ago (96'ish) with my friend Willow.I should post the pics.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am 
Way to go Hulk', Wolfman, Todd and meanderingWa! The large group that joined you at Shi Shi on Saturday were eleven members of Klahhane Hiking Club of Port Angeles. To help with fundraising and newsletters to build momentum to tackle next year's incoming wave of tsunami debris, please share your favorite beach cleanup photos with CoastSavers. http://www.coastsavers.org/share-your-photos.html

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostTue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am 
RodF wrote:
The large group that joined you at Shi Shi on Saturday were eleven members of Klahhane Hiking Club of Port Angeles.
There was a large group of Mountaineers out there too, part of their Conditioning Hiking Series...They were staying at Hobuck.

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~