Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beaver Lake frightening experience.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 am 
johnson37 wrote:
Being a brother to sisters and father to daughters, I have learned first-hand how they can be isolated and stalked for a variety of reasons, many worthy of a bad 'gut instinct.' Quite honestly, Rumi, I'd like to put you in a room with my wife and let you explain to her how gut instinct is just imagination running amok.
Just to replace the context of the sentence you quoted, here is the paragraph:
Quote:
I would never tell anyone to ignore their gut feeling ... except me. Gut feelings are a result of lots of things but rarely mean anything other than the imagination running amuck. But going out is supposed to be fun, so if one is unable to set aside these apprehensive feelings, then it is probably best to go somewhere else.
So if I was in a room with your wife I would not try to tell her to to ignore her gut feeling. I don't even try to tell my wife to ignore her gut feelings. But if your wife asked liked the OP did with "Opinions?", then I might explore her gut feelings with her and ask her if they are reasoned or not. There have been many studies done on intuition and gut feeling, and these studies show that gut feeling is no better than random guessing. I have learned to distrust gut feelings and intuition. I have replaced it with reasoned questioning and investigation. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 am 
This thread reminds me of the movie Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am 
RumiDude wrote:
So if I was in a room with your wife I would not try to tell her to to ignore her gut feeling. I don't even try to tell my wife to ignore her gut feelings. But if your wife asked liked the OP did with "Opinions?", then I might explore her gut feelings with her and ask her if they are reasoned or not.
I should add here that often gut feelings and reasoned evaluations are often confused, and distinguishing between the two is sometimes a difficult task. Technically reasoned evaluation is not a gut feeling, intuition or instinct. But an amorphous feeling something isn't right based on unfamiliarity or even isolation is not reasoned and most often fueled by the imagination run amuck. I would also add I am not advocating people should not use caution and remain observant of what is going on around them. In order to make a reasoned evaluation of a situation people need to be aware of their surroundings. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Redwic wrote:
I don't know where you are hanging out, but I work in Seattle and have never once been asked if I want to buy drugs.
Yeah, I don't work there, but have been there quite often, and same result as you. Good chance that indeed this guy had innocent intentions, but sounds like there was no big harm in following your gut, and you never know, your gut may have been right.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am 
I advise against trusting your gut when it comes to trusting strangers, since creepy people are often charming, but I think a person who has a weird feeling about someone needs to pay attention to that. So don't trust the good feelings but do trust the bad ones. I know that sounds negative but in practice, for me anyway, I usually don't get a strong feeling one way or the other. The negative feelings are either some subliminal clue of real danger, or even if that's not true, you still won't feel comfortable around that person. Reading the original post, I didn't really get a sense of danger or creepiness. The gun is no big deal to me, I recently did a BP trip with an open carry person, that's just the way some people are. And the ax? Trail work no doubt. The clothing not being "hiking clothing"? Without a description of what the clothing was, this doesn't ring any bells for me. I did notice the OP said he or she watched the other person carefully, which might have creeped them out. Anyway, I wasn't there, so I didn't have the feeling the OP did, and the fact that the words of the first post don't really convey the creepiness to me doesn't diminish what the OP felt. So I agree with the decision to hike somewhere else that day, but at the same time I would acknowledge to myself that there probably was no real danger. I don't think "actual danger" is the proper threshold for leaving, just being uncomfortable is enough for me.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Gut feelings are a result of lots of things but rarely mean anything other than the imagination running amuck.
I won't speak to the specific instance of the OP as it's hard to know w/o having been there if there were subtler clues or just the more obvious cross-cultural-shock present, but this general statement is flat out wrong. Some types of gut feelings are excellent decision-making guides. I've experienced this many times, including in cases where I poo-poohed my own gut feeling and found the reason to regret doing so later. Have you read Blink? Good book on the topic. This thread may well be about what Gladwell dubs the "Warren Harding error" (described briefly at that link).

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 2:54 pm 
joker wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Gut feelings are a result of lots of things but rarely mean anything other than the imagination running amuck.
I won't speak to the specific instance of the OP as it's hard to know w/o having been there if there were subtler clues or just the more obvious cross-cultural-shock present, but this general statement is flat out wrong. Some types of gut feelings are excellent decision-making guides. I've experienced this many times, including in cases where I poo-poohed my own gut feeling and found the reason to regret doing so later. Have you read Blink? Good book on the topic. This thread may well be about what Gladwell dubs the "Warren Harding error" (described briefly at that link).
See four posts above where I write:
Quote:
I should add here that often gut feelings and reasoned evaluations are often confused, and distinguishing between the two is sometimes a difficult task. Technically reasoned evaluation is not a gut feeling, intuition or instinct. But an amorphous feeling something isn't right based on unfamiliarity or even isolation is not reasoned and most often fueled by the imagination run amuck. I would also add I am not advocating people should not use caution and remain observant of what is going on around them. In order to make a reasoned evaluation of a situation people need to be aware of their surroundings.
Rumi

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm 
Yea if someone was just out to be evil why carry both an ax and a gun? The gun would be enough (especially if it had a silencer). Still though if it don't feel right to me it ain't worth the risk. I am trying to remember if I have ever left/not started a hike because of a bad feeling. I almost did once when some guy asked some questions in the parking lot, left, then I started up and he was coming back down after going a very short way up (Ok it was Mailbox maybe he hit the steep part). I decided to just keep going and in the end no harm no foul.

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm 
The only thing I have received from this thread, is the same thing I have always felt....The only thing I'm ever afraid of while I'm in the wilderness is whacky humans.... eyes.gif ....and my own stupidity of course whaambulance.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm 
Been keeping an eye on this one and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Gut instinct is often based on subtle cues that may be difficult to bring to conscious awareness, much less describe clearly in a post. Several people have mentioned that an ax or a gun or even both are not reasons to be afraid of someone. I get that - I carry a hatchet for trailwork, and have gotten some looks just lugging my (sheathed) Pulaski to the car from my front door. I have seen people with guns while hiking, and they mostly have not bothered me. The first one I saw in a park with a gun definitely gave me a turn, not so much because he was crazy or mean, as because he was, after a minute or two of conversation, clearly too stupid to be trusted with a spitball and a straw. Pleasant, but a mountain-man wannabe who was carrying his rifle in case those wolves came at him (in MRNP). With no other information, I might put a guy who carries his weapon stuffed in his back pocket in the same general category - not necessarily dangerous by personality, but it doesn't seem to be an intelligent thing to do. It could have been unloaded, of course, but if it wasn't, I'd hate to think someone that dumb is wandering around with a loaded gun. Gut instinct has served me well. I don't always know why I react as strongly to some people as I do, but when the reaction is negative and I ignore it, I am always sorry. You wouldn't think a couple of guys walking down the busy street to a bus-stop in broad daylight in a nice neighborhood were dangerous. I felt scared, kicked myself for it, did not take any precautions, and was mugged at knifepoint for my bus money. I didn't know why I was uncomfortable with a smiling, pleasant neighbor, a family man my friend introduced me to in junior high, until I discovered he was molesting his preschool children (and my friend, too). I have no difficulty at all with responding as my gut directs, and I won't ever argue with the gut instincts of someone who was there when I wasn't.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm 
Remember, they never caught the person(s) responsible for murdering those two women on the Pinnacle lake trail a few years ago. One never knows what you might run into. Especially up the Mountain Loopski. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm 
Everything is not always as it seems. A couple of years ago my neighbor ask me to join him on one of his hunting trips up the Icicle. I went along thinking of it as a backpacking trip. To make a long story short, he blasted a huge deer up above Caroline Lakes without having a clue how he would get it out of there. He did manage to get cell service and call his brothers. As we were taking our gear out we met one of his brothers about a mile up from the TH. My friend dumped all his gear, including his rifle, in the brush and ask me to make a trip back to get it. A European couple with a baby at the TH started asking me questions about the trail as I quickly unloaded my pack and headed back for the gear. The met me about a half hour later as I came back down the trail with a full pack and carrying a rifle. I can’t even imagine what they thought I was up to.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm 

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 6:49 pm 
Studies about the dependability of gut instinct show that it is no better than random selection. It is like the "stop and frisk" tactics the NYPD uses which which supposedly uses criteria for the selection of individuals targeted. But the statistics reveal the results are similar to what they would obtain with pure random selection. The gut instinct of trained police officers = random selection. Why? Because the criteria they use to profile/select people are based on their gut instincts rather than proven indicators. Here is a scenario from real life. A buddy of mine is backcountry skiing and approaches a slope which his gut tells him might release. He contemplates digging a pit and checking the snow out. But instead he ignores what his instinct tells him and begins to cross it because the sun is getting low and he wants to make it back to his truck before sunset. He triggers an avalanche though escapes serious injury. Later that night he tells a group of his friends, of which I am one, that he should have listened to his gut feelings. WRONG! He didn't ignore his gut instinct, he ignored all the signs a reasonable person would understand indicated dangerous avalanche conditions. Feelings are real whether they are reasonable or not. And everyone has a right to their own feelings whether they are reasonable or not. There have been many times I have bowed to my feelings even though I knew they were baseless. But I resist being ruled by my feelings on matters like the scenario presented by the OP. Rumi