Forum Index > Trip Reports > Day 2/6: Dunes and a slot, Death Valley NP (4/18/12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm 
Part 1: The Racetrack and extras, Death Valley Part 3: Delicate Arch and extras, Arches NP Part 4: Mesa Arch (Canyonlands) and Arches NP Part 5: The Needles, Canyonlands NP Part 6: Kanarra Creek and Zion NP I had spent the previous day touring Death Valley's Badwater Basin, culminating in an evening watching rocks race across the pancake flat Racetrack Playa. Giddy with excitement, I'd tumbled into my bed in the nearby town of Beatty, for a short 4hr nap, before it was up and at 'em for my final day in the park. Dunes...some of the most photogenic subjects on the planet. What desert is worthy of the name without dunes? I'd originally planned to catch dawn at the Eureka Dunes, but the long drive to these wasn't very appealing, after a similar drive the previous evening. So, I headed over to the easily accessible, but popular Mesquite Dunes instead. Dawn at Mesquite Dunes Along with two other groups I headed off into the desert, each of us ensconced in small bubbles of light, cast by our headlamps. A few minutes in I veered left, away from the other groups, hoping to find solitude. Ever so slowly, it got bright enough to make out the pyramid shapes of the dunes. I saw that I was headed in the general direction of the tallest dune. The bit now firmly between my teeth, I rolled over one smaller dune crest after another, until I gained one of the ridges leading to the main 150ft high dune. The ridge crest was a sensuous S-curve leading up to a double summit. It seemed like a nice place to set up shop to take a few pictures in the ever improving light. As I set up, I was joined by a pair of other hikers, who were on their way to the summit. I wished them well, but knew that I'd have to find another dune for solitude, so took off for the next highest one after taking a few shots. Watching the shifting shadows and colors as the light continuously changed was a delight. Heaven!
Once dawn was over and done with, I headed back to the parking lot. I estimated around 700ft of cumulative elevation gain for my morning. After fitting myself around a large breakfast, I headed for Fall Canyon, a few miles north of the dunes. Fall Canyon By now it was scorching hot, 101F in the shade. I vended my way parallel to the hillside until I reached the mouth of the canyon. The trail disappeared in the sand in the canyon, but there was only one way to go. The canyon was scenic enough, but not really that interesting, except for the occasional pocket of flowers.
12- Hot, hot, hot
12- Hot, hot, hot
3mi in the way was blocked by a dry 15ft waterfall. At this point I backtracked about 100yds, to a cairn on my left. A short scramble up to a notch through some boulders was the escape from the trap. After this class 2 hiking took me to the top of the dry falls, and the big payoff. The next quarter mile that I hiked was through incredible beauty. Reputedly the finest slot canyon in Death Valley unfolded before me. I'll let the photos do the talking here.
While the canyon was still scenic, I turned around when the slot opened up and I hit sunshine. I was at my turn around time anyway. Stats: 6.5mi, 1300ft gain Sunset at Mesquite Dunes For the evening, I returned to Mesquite Dunes. I wanted to make my final evening in Death Valley one to remember.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimL

JimL
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 am 
Wonderful, thank you.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 8:31 am 
Great shots. I assume those are self-portraits in the slot - nicely done up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
GW, this one is probably my favorite of the slot canyon shots. I love the bands in these rock formations. Whether by accident or plan, the composition is extraordinary. You should print this one, frame it nicely and hang it in your home--especially if that is you in the photo. Looks like a wonderful trip. Great photography especially during your last night out. That was a magical time--particularly numbers 32 and 34. Thanks for showing us. ~z

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am 
Thanks a lot guys. Yes, those are self portraits...trying to pose in a seemingly natural stance was the most challenging part of the shot! clown.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 12:05 pm 
Amazing. Your TR's are ones I always read. Thank you for sharing! up.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
iron

iron
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 1:43 pm 
when are you moving back to WA? we need more regular stellar photography like you always offer.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 4:09 pm 
Dani, you're too kind. iron, there are any number of NWHikers (including you) who fly the flag high and proud. Incidently, in the later part of my trip I met a couple of lovely ladies from Seattle. We crossed paths on two different hikes and chatted briefly each time. Made me quite homesick.

Mossyboots

Mossyboots
PostThu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 pm 
Beautiful! Love dune shot #10.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm 
eek.gif only YOU can make Death Valley come alive and beautiful up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Eek
still kind of a dork

Eek
still kind of a dork
PostFri Apr 27, 2012 5:17 pm 
Many fine shots. Love 10, 11, 27, 32 especially. Also, the shots where you included yourself really provides a sense of scale.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 pm 
up.gif up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 28, 2012 10:54 pm 
I really like that first set of dune shots. You managed to make them look fresh. Who knew Death Valley had a secret slot canyon like that? Not me anyway, and I've been there several times. Great information and pictures.

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 am 
Agreed with zephyr -- #17 is extremely nice. We always try to have a grand shot with no one in the photo, but even disregarding that you are the person in #17, somehow a human presence adds volume to the picture. up.gif How much time did it take for you to plan this trip? Did you have an exact itinerary in your mind before setting off, or did you play it mostly by ear?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 8:09 am 
In-earnest planning took about two months. I had the trip planned down to the hour: what I was going to do for the sunrise, the day and the sunset. For Death Valley, this was difficult, because the driving times are so long, so I had to plan for those too. With all of that you have to be flexible to change plans, when things invariably go wrong (or sometimes better than expected). e.g. Hiking through Fall Canyon (day 2), was not in my initial finalized plans (it was in the contingency plans), since I didn't think I'd have the time; I was going to hike Golden Canyon originally.