Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Using just one paper towel
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostWed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm 
It saddens me when people use more than one paper towel to dry their hands after washing them. Sometimes, sure, extras are nice, but for most washes it's entirely unnecessary.
(If there's any video that proves I'm really a 60 year old, this would be it.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
33teeth

33teeth
PostWed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm 
How small are his hands? My wife hassles me sometimes for grabbing more than one when she's fine with one but my hands are pretty big and have have probably more than double the surface area of hers. No joke. Anyway, that guy kind of makes me want to go use three or four towels wink.gif

Is that a kind of beer?
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed May 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Some dispensers give you a really thin piece of paper towel about 4" x 6". With those, one piece just doesn't do the job!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu May 03, 2012 7:43 am 
How about a blow dryer instead of any paper towels? In places where they have both, my observation is that most people choose paper towels.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu May 03, 2012 9:35 am 
or just don't wash your hands.

Lono

Lono
PostThu May 03, 2012 10:40 am 
I am in and out of bathrooms at the UW Medical Center many days and don't really care if I use 1 or 2 or even 3 towels - the emphasis is on cleanliness of my hands and not touching my freshly washed hands to bacteria infested door handles leading out of the bathrooms. But as long as the paper towel is big enough I can get by with one or two towels, using one to open the door.

LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostThu May 03, 2012 11:04 am 
Thanks for posting this! I am going to adopt the "shake and fold" and see if I can reduce my usage.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu May 03, 2012 11:44 am 
I only use a single towel, then I get home and my mailbox is full of sh## junk mail and I realize how futile it is.

iron

iron
PostThu May 03, 2012 12:32 pm 
i haven't used a paper towel in at least a decade. pretty sure hands dry off (somehow magically it appears) after a few swooshes through the air. IMO, people that use paper towels are: 1. brainwashed (by marketing and an overwhelming presence of products like it) into believing that you need to 2. impatient 3. not considering the impacts of things like this the list of WTF products could go on forever. the simple summary is: someone did a good job marketing it and now people believe they want/need to use this product. it's there, might as well use it.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostThu May 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
Burke M wrote:
then I get home and my mailbox is full of sh## junk mail and I realize how futile it is.
Go to http://www.dmachoice.org and register. I registered a few years back and receive very little junk mail now. If you have any elderly relatives that receive lots of unwanted solicitations from charities registration with DMA will cut the solicitations back a lot.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu May 03, 2012 1:08 pm 
I agree with Iron, its totally pointless and unnecessary most of the time. Also checking out the dmachoice site, thanks!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm 
Pointless? Snort. Yeah...if you like opening dirty door handles with clean hands.... When you have 3 kids, 2 who are 2 and under...well paper towels become quite handy. So do napkins....my van is full of them for cleaning up the babies.......

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
JennieEl

JennieEl
PostThu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm 
It's also not exactly pointless in health care. Not only do I wash my hands multiple times a day, I really don't have time between patients to air-dry my hands most of the time. I have to hold paper in my hands at least briefly for most visits (all EMRs mean is that the amount of actual paper involved in a visit goes from a thick paper chart to copies of things for the patients, recently faxed notes from outside offices, etc.). I often greet patients (especially new patients) with a handshake, if they seem up for it (some people aren't), so soggy fingers would be pretty off-putting. And walking around with my clothes constantly blotchy-damp because I've blotted dry on them isn't exactly professional-looking. If one paper towel would do the trick, I'd use one. If 2 paper towels did the trick, I'd use 2. It usually takes 3 to ensure I'm really dry. Slightly thicker towels would probably reduce paper waste by being more absorbant. But I'm not in control of that. Air dryers take too long. And I'm not in control of the wiring, power bill increases, noise-control or ventilation to deal with all the hot air in the tiny little employee bathrooms we have here, either. Alcohol gel is a great invention, but not true substitution for hand-washing. I'd really like something better than paper towels. Among other things, they are tough on over-washed skin. But I work with what I have (literally). Patient safety comes first.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu May 03, 2012 2:31 pm 
There should be a law banning paper towels.

33teeth

33teeth
PostThu May 03, 2012 4:05 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Pointless? Snort. Yeah...if you like opening dirty door handles with clean hands.... When you have 3 kids, 2 who are 2 and under...well paper towels become quite handy. So do napkins....my van is full of them for cleaning up the babies.......
I was thinking the same thing(s). I prefer not to grab filthy bathroom door handles after washing my hands and have 3 small children. Ever tried taking two toddlers and a 4 year old into the bathroom and asked them to stand still while you use a hand dryer? Good luck with that. The CDC seems to think it's important to dry your hands and that single use towels are the way to go (hand dryers are OK too). It's way cooler to proclaim that people who use towels are falling prey to marketing, but it's really just not true. From the CDC: Wet hands have been known to transfer pathogens much more readily than dry hands or hands not washed at all. The residual moisture determines the level of bacterial and viral transfer following hand washing. Careful hand drying is a critical factor for bacterial transfer to skin, food and environmental surfaces. The drying times required to reduce the transfer of these pathogens varies with drying methods. I use paper towels but find other ways to conserve resources.

Is that a kind of beer?