Stewardship
/History 

Gear
/Food/Photo

Support
/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Mount Index Summit (5/6/2012)
Previous :: Next Topic  
Gimpilator

Post Sun May 06, 2012 6:03 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Redwic and I attempted the west ridge of Mount Index last June as a day trip but we timed out in the saddle at 4900 feet.  This time we brought 5 friends and overnight gear as well.  We camped on the broad ledge at 4700 feet Saturday night.  We went up to the summit early Sunday morning to avoid avy danger.  Snowshoes were necessary.  All 7 of our group made it to the summit.  The bushwhack stole one ice axe from our group.  Please contact me if it is found.

--------------
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=25744
http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ClimbListC.aspx?cid=2650&sort=elevft&u=ft&j=-1&y=9999

Keep climbing mountains and don't slip!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Redwic
Jack Of All Hikes

Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 pm   

We had a great team and a great time! Everyone worked very well together and contributed to the success of the trip. An early start was critical; if we had left camp 1-2 hours later, we probably would not have summited (and would have had problems on the return, as well). In regards to weather and snow conditions, everything worked in our favor at the right times.

It's nice to summit another one of the prominent peaks near my hometown. This was my 70th Washington P2K, my 98th USA P2K overall.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this trip a big success!

--------------
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." -Atticus Finch
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
fourteen410

Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm   

up.gif  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:32 pm   

Amazing get in those snowy conditions!  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Post Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm   

Wow, look at all that new snow!  Looks like it would've been good skiing.

Congrats on making it!

--------------
Photo Portfolio
zephyr
aka friendlyHiker

Post Sun May 06, 2012 8:40 pm   

Congratulations Gimpilator, Redwic and the crew.  Good plan and great execution.  up.gif   Looks like you had a fantastic view from up there.    ~z
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:26 am   

That's the way to do it!
Josh Lewis
a.k.a. Flow

Post Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am   

Looks like you had a lot more fun that I did when I went up to Index. When I went during late September I considered it one of the most scum bag routes I have ever done with mosquitoes, slider alder, humidity, and all that bad stuff. Glad you guys made it.  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
My Websites: Alpine Ascent AlpineJosh.com SummitPost Profile AceMaps
Bob2005

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am   

Is Mt. Index the one in picture 3 (of the original post)? In picture 12, I see some tracks in the lower left. What is the route up? Really beautiful pictures, thanks for letting us have a peek!
Redwic
Jack Of All Hikes

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm   

Bob2005 wrote:
Is Mt. Index the one in picture 3 (of the original post)? In picture 12, I see some tracks in the lower left. What is the route up? Really beautiful pictures, thanks for letting us have a peek!

GIMPILATOR'S PICTURE #3 (as shown on original post):
Looking at Mount Persis from Mount Index

GIMPILATOR'S PICTURE #12 (as shown on original post):
Looking back at Mount Index on our way out.

--------------
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." -Atticus Finch
EastKing
Summit Addict

Post Mon May 07, 2012 3:08 pm   

Awesome job on Index!! Looks like a good early spring destination.

--------------
I am addicted to summits! I can't eat, drink or breath without them. Life without mountains would really suck.

http://www.myspace.com/climbandsurfmackg | http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=894
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

Post Mon May 07, 2012 3:11 pm   

Nice job guys! It was an amazing feeling standing on top of that mountain. I can only imagine how awesome it must've been with all that white! up.gif

Flow wrote:
Looks like you had a lot more fun that I did when I went up to Index.

Ouch Josh, ouch ... tongue.gif By the way, I'm still waiting for that trip report!

--------------
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Josh Lewis
a.k.a. Flow

Post Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm   

summithound wrote:
Flow wrote:
Looks like you had a lot more fun that I did when I went up to Index.

Ouch Josh, ouch ... tongue.gif By the way, I'm still waiting for that trip report!

You being there made it a lot more enjoyable.  biggrin.gif But you gotta admit the route itself was pretty lousy with the bushes, the mosquitoes, and the heat.  hmmm.gif

I didn't say I didn't have fun.  clown.gif Perhaps I should have worded it as "more pleasant".  wink.gif (the first time we attempted Index was a lot nicer)

Alright Zach, within the next few weeks I hope to post the trip report. I gotta lot of college and trip report stuff to post.  dizzy.gif

--------------
My Websites: Alpine Ascent AlpineJosh.com SummitPost Profile AceMaps
Redwic
Jack Of All Hikes

Post Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 pm   

EastKing wrote:
Looks like a good early spring destination.

I am not so sure about that! We hit perfect conditions at the right locations and the right moments. It took a major combination of sun, clouds, freezing, thawing (but not too much), fresh snow, old snow, etc. at the times we really needed them. Still, we assessed every step along the way; safety was front and center in our minds. In reality, thanks largely to the rapid warming on the mountain, some of our route might not even be usable now. Having now been part of a successful summit team there, I personally would not recommend this peak as a Spring destination for most peakbaggers.

--------------

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Mount Index Summit (5/6/2012)  
  Happy Birthday BarePaw, Steve Erickson, canyonwren, Jreamer!

Jump to: