Forum Index > Trip Reports > Swakane Cyn May 6
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
The first time I visited Swakane Canyon was the year Alan Bauer’s Best Desert Hikes book was published. This awesome guidebook was also responsible for pointing me to White Bluffs at Hanford Reach; both of these places have been on my list of friends I visited most years thereafter; absolutely gorgeous places! On July 7, 2002, 235 acres of rare sagebrush steppe burned at White Bluffs. On July 10, 2010, over 20,000 acres burned at Swakane. I’m not saying these fires are my fault or anything, but I’m beginning to develop a complex (I camped near Chewuch Falls 2 months before the Thirtymile Fire back in 2001, and was just coming off the Wildhorse trail during the storm that sparked the fire in Tumwater Canyon in 2000). For the record, my dad was a fireman and once rescued a little girl from a burning building. It really is hard to walk in an area that has burned if you knew it before it burned. Though I know it’ll come back, and it’s a necessary cycle of nature, and all that crap, I couldn’t help but mourn the loss of the colorful willows and birch lining the moist contours in the slopes, the silvery-green sagebrush and brilliant red ponderosas prettily perched on slopes above rocky outcroppings. Now the ponderosas are blackened stubs and charred, broken logs, and the willows are like black grates that capture dried up tumbleweeds. I wondered if the animals all got out OK, and how long it’ll take for them to come back. But despite all this, Swakane is still a beautiful place; the undulating hills, the birds, and the occasional music of soft wind sifting through stiffened ponderosa needles of those trees still clinging to life, though half-charred. JimK, Janet and Brighidoon walked this steep, long road to the obvious lunch spot; the Swakane Wall, a sort of Hadrian’s Wall that caps a ridge and overlooks the Columbia River. After lunch, I stayed behind to rest and wander the ridge while they continued on another mile or so before returning. They found a huge patch of shooting stars, I watched llizards scurry round the wall, and listened to the sound of a birds’ wings slicing through the air as it circled around my ridge time and again. It’s interesting to see what other folks enjoy on a trip; Jim and Janet were freaking about flowers, Gwen enjoyed flowers and views, while I grooved on road and slope contours. I didn’t take a single flower photo. Knowing what a crappy day it’d be with all that sun and not a cloud in the sky, I just brought my point & shoot. The weather was so crappy that there wasn’t even a tremendous storm sweeping over the Waterville Plateau to look at.
The Photographress
The Photographress
Lookin at the scene
Lookin at the scene
Lichen
Lichen
Now burned
Now burned
3 Goons
3 Goons
Super Moons
Super Moons
the crowns of burning trees were still burning when the trees fell; you can see the newer, greener grass poking up where the burning crown burned the grass (how many times can [i:e65e47228d]you [/i:e65e47228d]use the word "burn" in a sentence?)
the crowns of burning trees were still burning when the trees fell; you can see the newer, greener grass poking up where the burning crown burned the grass (how many times can you use the word "burn" in a sentence?)
View1
View1
Curve2
Curve2
Contour
Contour

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
the crowns of burning trees were still burning when the trees fell; you can see the newer, greener grass poking up where the burning crown burned the grass (how many times can [i:b27ced0b18]you [/i:b27ced0b18]use the word "burn" in a sentence?)
the crowns of burning trees were still burning when the trees fell; you can see the newer, greener grass poking up where the burning crown burned the grass (how many times can you use the word "burn" in a sentence?)
Guess what? Those trees were down before the fire. Here's the pic from Mar 2010, so it looks like it was the lack of light from the fallen trees that killed the grass and not the fire.
Swakane Canyon March 2010
Swakane Canyon March 2010

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 08, 2012 6:21 am 
Interesting perspective though. And some nice photos of the area. The 1994 fire that almost completely took out the Entiat Valley turned our family farm into a lifeless chared moonscape. Now the fields where we used to mow hay are thriving young forests. Some trees are getting so high I got a call from the PUD the other day asking if they could cut some trees away from the main valley power lines. The wheel turns.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 08, 2012 6:54 am 
Heeey, thanks, Brig! So interesting to think about stuff like this and solve mysteries! I was actually mystified last night when I looked at my photo and wondered that if the crown burned the grass, why was there a bit of extra-green grass above the root-wad? Brig's explanation solves it - the needles have been dropping over the llife of the trees creaing a circle around them before they fell. Hitthetrail, that's pretty amazing. I'm interested in forest ecology after a fire; I hope to get with a couple of USFS biologists to send me (hopefully join me) on a trip to Tiffany Mtn. this summer.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 08, 2012 10:04 am 
I'm curious as to how hot the Tripod Fire burned in the areas of down, jack strawed, lodgepole. Could it be revenge for bashing my shins up so badly one summer?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue May 08, 2012 1:37 pm 
The Photographress
The Photographress
Now, that's a picture! up.gif up.gif Of ..... what did you say?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostTue May 08, 2012 5:10 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I'm interested in forest ecology after a fire
A friend of mine, John Marshall in Wenatchee, has been working for several years on a project photographing post-fire re-vegetation (and a similar one for St. Helens - he went in w/ the Nat. Geo. soon afterward). He's going to eventually do an exhibit at the Wenatchee Museum. I'll try to let you know when.

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue May 08, 2012 6:59 pm 
Funny..my wife and I spent some time talking about those same two trees a few weeks ago and wondering why the green grass. We were guessing that maybe the burned trees provided some nutrients that the grasses liked, which is why the green?

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Super Moons
Super Moons
Definitely your best side(s) - too bad Jim wasn't in the Super Moon spirit! winksmile.gif lol.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:32 pm 
I saw the 3 Goons pic on Fb and knew right where you were from the ridges. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm 
Spotly wrote:
Funny..my wife and I spent some time talking about those same two trees a few weeks ago and wondering why the green grass. We were guessing that maybe the burned trees provided some nutrients that the grasses liked, which is why the green?
New hypothesis. If the trees were dead when the 2010 fire hit, the fire that burned the grass went fast and the grass came back the next year, but the additional heat and fire from the tree needles burned down into the soil and the grass is just now coming back. Which is why there's no long dead grasses there...? Dunno....I like the additional nutrients angle, too. I'll rattle a cage or two and see if I can come up with an answer. up.gif Z, yah, let me know; I'm very interested. I considered studying forest fire recovery in school, but all the field trips were in hot locations, and even this past Sunday was too hot (I think it got up to 71) lol.gif . I studied Wetland Science & Management instead.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm 
Photo dump (I never know how to narrow the selection down)...

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm 
Best dump I've looked at all day. up.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Best dump I've looked at all day. up.gif
Grassy ass. biggrin.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue May 08, 2012 10:54 pm 
Very cool! Love the photos of flowers AND contours.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com