Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Canadians vs Americans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostTue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I think the Simpsons explain Canada much better:
Nice, but maybe "explain" not the best word, but if you watch all those Youtube videos on Canada then you'll start to get a better understanding. For something the other direction: The curious case of Matthew Bullock, an American who moved to Canada.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hiker1

hiker1
PostWed May 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Spy vs spy: Chinese vs American vs Canadian in the telecommunications biz

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
hiker1

hiker1
PostThu May 17, 2012 3:29 pm 
BBC World News sent its New York based reporter Michelle Fleury and crew to Vancouver to film a Working Lives documentary as part of its Canada Direct series. The Vancouver segments air on May 19 and 20. The series intro page "What does it mean to be Canadian?" starts with:
Quote:
In 2009, Hollywood actor Billy Bob Thornton, plugging his music on a radio show, seemed to be in a most undiplomatic mood. With apparent disdain, he dismissed his Canadian audiences as "mashed potatoes with no gravy". "Oh, we've got some gravy up here as well," came the host's riposte, immediately turning him into a national hero. A beleaguered Thornton cancelled his tour and left the country. The host had a point. This is, after all, the land of fries and cheese curds slathered in gravy, a French-Canadian classic called poutine. With mid-winter temperatures dipping to, say, -30.9C (1F) in towns such as Yellowknife, it's a must. Canadians need food which sticks to their ribs.
At least some of the Vancouver segments are posted at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-18004716

hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 pm 
Large popular Oh, Canada art show in US. Full details here.

hiker1

hiker1
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Canadians pay more than Americans for Canadian-made vehicles

hiker1

hiker1
PostTue May 20, 2014 10:18 pm 
It’s Now the Canadian Dream
Quote:
A report last month in The Times by David Leonhardt and Kevin Quealy noted that the American middle class is no longer the richest in the world, with Canada apparently pulling ahead in median after-tax income. Other countries in Europe are poised to overtake us as well. In fact, the discrepancy is arguably even greater. Canadians receive essentially free health care, while Americans pay for part of their health care costs with after-tax dollars. Meanwhile, the American worker toils, on average, 4.6 percent more hours than a Canadian worker, 21 percent more hours than a French worker and an astonishing 28 percent more hours than a German worker, according to data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Canadians and Europeans also live longer, on average, than Americans do. Their children are less likely to die than ours. American women are twice as likely to die as a result of pregnancy or childbirth as Canadian women. And, while our universities are still the best in the world, children in other industrialized countries, on average, get a better education than ours. Most sobering of all: A recent O.E.C.D. report found that for people aged 16 to 24, Americans ranked last among rich countries in numeracy and technological proficiency.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed May 21, 2014 10:28 am 
mike wrote:
And who is the head of the Canadian government? The Governor General, appointed by Betty.
The Governor General is Head of State. The Head of Government is the Prime Minister.

dazdarren

dazdarren
PostWed May 21, 2014 10:53 pm 
Finally an American who appreciates the Tragically Hip!! I'm a Canadian now living in the US. I dont mind the jabs, Canadians love to laugh at ourselves. Just dont beat us in Olympic hockey or there will be hell to pay.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed May 21, 2014 11:00 pm 
If you mean me, nope - I'm a proud Canadian living in Canada. The Hip are our national little secret, it seems. dizzy.gif

dazdarren

dazdarren
PostWed May 21, 2014 11:08 pm 
Deep down I like having the Hip be Canada's national treasure that hasnt really made it in the US even though I shake my head at why the US doesnt get them. Its likely because they are distinctly Canadian in their songwriting and Gord's lyrics. I've been fortunate to see them a few times both in Canada and in the US. Its great seeing them play in front of thousands at an outdoor show in Canada but seeing them play a couple of times in small clubs in the US with just a few hundred people (mostly Canadians) was even more special.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu May 22, 2014 12:33 pm 
Well, if you consider BTO then the Canadians can stand head and head with the U.S.A...but Nickelback???? They blew it there. Knock, knock Who's there? Nickelback Nickelback who? There is no punchline because ruining music isn't funny.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
trestle

trestle
PostThu May 22, 2014 1:17 pm 
The Hip are far from a secret in the US. Most don't get them though because they force the audience to think and they don't spend any time posing or playing self-indulgent solos that no one cares about anymore. But what the heck is a Pigeon Camera anyways? I get the metaphor, just wondering if there's a literal meaning to it as well.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
dazdarren

dazdarren
PostThu May 22, 2014 11:22 pm 
There is a good website that discusses the deep messaging within the Hip's songs. Here is their explanation on the song and what a pigeon camera is http://www.hipmuseum.com/pigeon.html

trestle

trestle
PostFri May 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
Thanks daz, great reading. Love, love, love the Hip. The soundtrack of my life, Gordon Downie would be my biographer if I had a choice or was worthy.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
hiker1

hiker1
PostTue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 pm 
How do you get 100 New Yorkers out of the pool? Answer: Say "Every one STAY in the pool!" How do you get 100 Californians out of the pool? Answer: Say "This pool has been CHEMICALLY TREATED for your protection!" How do you get 100 Republicans out of the pool? Answer: Say "Being in this pool shows your support for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT" How do you get 100 Democrats out of the pool? Answer: Say "This pool will be FUNDED COMPLETELY by the people in the pool!" The difference between Canadians and Americans? HOW DO YOU GET 100 CANADIANS OUT OF THE POOL? ANSWER: SAY "Please get out of the pool." ----------------- from the Quora topic "What are some cultural differences between Canadians and Americans?"