Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chatter Creek 5/12/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 12, 2012 4:56 pm 
Past few weekends, I've been widening the net around home to check out conditions. This one is always a good worker, so I opted for the Deuter 42 and loaded it with a couple of full Nalgenes for some weight. I have never embraced the "new" Chatter Creek trailhead. While the old one had limited parking, the trail never dilly-dallied around. Anyway, it's a nice spring ramble, and after the first crossing of Chatter Creek, you pick up the original trail, which now begins to climb and offers views.
8-Mile, Jack Peak and Trout Creek Valley
8-Mile, Jack Peak and Trout Creek Valley
Harding Makes an Appearance
Harding Makes an Appearance
Typical Chatter Creek Trail
Typical Chatter Creek Trail
Not too many flowers, but a few nice trillium (which I yanked up to take home for Mother's Day)! rolleyes.gif ha.gif ha.gif ha.gif The trail is in great shape...no blowdowns or brush and snow-free until just before the creek crossing at the lower end of the basin. I punched through at a couple spots in the boulder field, where I had my lunch and enjoyed the views.
Lower End of Chatter Creek Basin
Lower End of Chatter Creek Basin
Possible Creek Crossing
Possible Creek Crossing
"Ida" gone up that gully!
"Ida" gone up that gully!
Cashmere Complex and Dr. Creek Basin
Cashmere Complex and Dr. Creek Basin
Trout Creek Valley, 8-Mile, Jack Peak
Trout Creek Valley, 8-Mile, Jack Peak
Lunch Rock
Lunch Rock
Boot Jack
Boot Jack
Van Epps area (?) with Harding on the right
Van Epps area (?) with Harding on the right
Total hiking time was 90 minutes up and an hour back down....no bike ride involved anymore to the TH. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat May 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
Thanks for the beta. Nice photos. up.gif up.gif Good ol Chatter Ck. I have had a love-hate relationship with that trail since the 1970's. Not to mention my spooky experience in the upper basin last Labor Day. But...In my opinion it is the best route into the Lady Lakes area. The Frosty pass route definitely needs some work now days. I still need to do Snowgrass Mt. and Grace Lakes.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2012 6:18 pm 
up.gif I could do the Ida Lake quick route, I haven't been in there in a few years.

Living in the Anthropocene
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun May 13, 2012 8:35 am 
wildernessed wrote:
up.gif I could do the Ida Lake quick route, I haven't been in there in a few years.
I'd be game for Ida. Grace Lakes has been on my list for a while also.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 13, 2012 11:37 am 
I do an overnighter at Augusta every year. I might try to combine an Ida trip with that one. I wasn't the biggest fan of the gully route a few years back....I'll keep in touch with you guys about that one this summer. up.gif up.gif up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 13, 2012 12:36 pm 
I was up at Augusta last July. I'd like to get to Ida this year, and both Grace lakes have been on my list for years as well.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln