Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chopper Peak - Chopper Ridge - Twin Peaks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2012 12:41 pm 
Location : Off Number 2 Canyon Rd. behind Hit the Trails house, feel free to park in his lot and use the kitchen and bathroom. hockeygrin.gif Map : GTM : Mission Ridge / Wenatchee (game trails only) Stats : 11 miles, 4500' r/t
Chopper Ridge - Chopper Peak - Twin Peaks
Chopper Ridge - Chopper Peak - Twin Peaks
Steve had not yet enjoyed the pleasure of this fine undulating ridge yet, I have done parts of it with several people, and last year did a full traverse with Dave Allyn, and another friend of my daughters. The starting point was at the bottom of Castle Rock, we hit Twin Peaks East summit for lunch, doubled back, hit the West summit then headed down the East Ridge back to the forest road and out. It was a cool, breezy start, which was OK given the exertion, but the trip was in full sun, so why you were on the move it was warm, but if you stopped, it was cold. Last year we were at times up to our thighs in wildflowers, this year there were some nice patches, but noting spectacular, though the solitude, along with the green desert mountains and canyons were very scenic.
Castle Rock
Castle Rock
Initial push where you will gain over a fourth of your elevation gain from the car to Chopper Peak.
Initial push where you will gain over a fourth of your elevation gain from the car to Chopper Peak.
Up and down nature of the ridge.
Up and down nature of the ridge.
It seems at times the ridge up and downs are never going to end, and if you want a workout hike in the Spring over here, this would be it, all though you could just park your car at the Columbia and head up 2,3,4k' in spots. We doubled back at the summit, but you can continue like we did last year, and thru-hike to the Horse Lake Rd. TH.
Howard - Mastiff
Howard - Mastiff
Big Lou - Big Jim
Big Lou - Big Jim
Looking back into Ingalls Creek drainage at Fortune Peak.
Looking back into Ingalls Creek drainage at Fortune Peak.
This was our biggest gainer of the year, so Spring training for geezers should be nearly complete. As cold as it was, I still managed a good sunburn, including the top of my head. It had to be in the 30's on Twin Peaks, but back down in Wenatchee it was 75. Good scenic, and exertional trip. up.gif
A view of Twin Peaks from the Ridge.
A view of Twin Peaks from the Ridge.
Grindstone - Icicle Ridge - Chiwaukum Area
Grindstone - Icicle Ridge - Chiwaukum Area
Three Bro ....
Three Bro ....
Twin Peaks Traverse 2011

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat May 12, 2012 1:53 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Location : Off Number 2 Canyon Rd. behind Hit the Trails house, feel free to park in his lot and use the kitchen and bathroom.
Sure any and all hikers can use my drive to park as well as the kitchen and bathroom....but I set the user fees. I thought that looked like your car parked just above my back yard. I was going to throw some rocks at it just to make sure, when I saw you two hiking up the hill. I called out to my wife, "oh quick honey come see, two bozos attempting a hike up our hill". Then we went out on the deck to record the event on film. What a funny event!
Rob and Steve get started
Rob and Steve get started
Rob  and  Steve
Rob and Steve

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
I thought you might have been watching us gasping going up the ridge towards Chopper. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 13, 2012 11:13 am 
Hit the Trail, Varmints in the neighborhood, huh? Seems like you could have had a little fun, fired off a couple rounds just to kick up the dust around them and scared 'em off. toothless.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)