Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crevassology 5-11-2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostMon May 14, 2012 9:05 am 
Glad you are ok! The news screwed this up again. They said you fell 160 feet into a crevasse. I'm constantly reminded at how bad the new channels do in checking their facts. I actually wonder if they exaggerate on purpose to make it more sensational. Doh.

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JennieEl

JennieEl
PostMon May 14, 2012 10:27 am 
Wonderfully written report, and I am very glad you weren't injured. It's the mark of a survivor that you not only kept your cool but were able to appreciate the beauty around you.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 14, 2012 11:33 am 
Yikes, Niko! eek.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon May 14, 2012 11:56 am 
Whoa! Way to keep your wits about you - glad you're ok.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 14, 2012 12:08 pm 
wow!

Art is an adventure.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon May 14, 2012 12:12 pm 
Amazing! glad you're ok and 2 up.gif for a good partner and BC SAR.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon May 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Yowza! Thanks for the harrowing story and scary pictures. This TR might bring back a recuring nightmare I have every few years: I find myself half way up some glacier on Rainier on a hot day. I'm on the edge of a huge broken crevasse and looking down into a maze of dripping ice - no way forward there so I look behind to back-track and find I'm in the middle of an ice fall with cracks, serracs, and chasms all round (I guess some snow bridges I crossed have collapsed behind me in the heat of the day). How and why the hell did I get into this spot? and solo at that! I don't want to move from the spot I'm at, but I have to because no one knows where I am, plus I realize I may be standing on a melting snow bridge right now! There is no safe exit. Eventually I wake up incredibly mad at myself, then can't get it out of my mind for a couple days. Glad it all worked out so well for you, bad luck going in, great luck with the outcome!

popzeus

popzeus
PostMon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm 
Wow, just saw this on CNN.com. Congratulations of having the rare distinction of being the topic of a national news story that actually has a happy ending. rolleyes.gif But, seriously, glad to see you are ok and what an amazing set of pics. I know you had a while to wait for help, but I don't think I would have been calm enough to document myself in the same circumstances. The most amazing part of this is that you did remain calm, didn't panic and didn't make your circumstances worse. Kudos to you for keeping a cool head in the face of a pretty scary situation.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon May 14, 2012 2:25 pm 
Thanks for sharing your experience.. I'm glad you're OK.

Roald

Roald
PostMon May 14, 2012 4:25 pm 
Talk about a Jonah-type experience! Niko, you must be so tough and gnarly that the glacier just spit you back out. I appreciate how you kept your head both in experiencing it and in writing about it. That's pretty impressive. Of course, this means that we still gotta get out this summer.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm 
Wow Niko, unbelievable! So glad you are OK and way to keep your composure with all the potential for more hazards occurring. Impressive! P.S.: no crevasses in southern Utah....

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm 
tdd - tough damn dude! So glad you're ok. There are few that have traveled up and down more snow slopes than you, so this tells me it could happen to anyone. I had to look up "subnivean". lol.gif Nothing like a vocabulary lesson along with an adventure story!

cyohman

cyohman
PostMon May 14, 2012 8:36 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
reststep

reststep
PostTue May 15, 2012 3:27 pm 
What an experience, I am glad you are ok. I was going to ask you if you thought your skis staying on might have saved you from falling deeper into the crevasse and I see you think they may have. I will have to remember to keep my bindings on a high setting. smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostTue May 15, 2012 4:42 pm 
reststep wrote:
skis staying on might have saved you from falling deeper into the crevasse and I see you think they may have. I will have to remember to keep my bindings on a high setting. smile.gif
Reststep, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't: I prefer the do (locking the front binding)--when I tour. I may be wrong about this but it seems to me that if you slip in steep terrain your skis are one more tool of self-arrest so long as the bindings don't release (of course, they can do damage by twisting and what not). Fast skiing on groomers is a different proposition: there I want dependable release. The crevasse situation is totally unpredictable and the bindings won't release anyway until you hit some sort of flat surface. My fall was vertical: I wasn't moving when the snow bridge collapsed. Yes, without skis I believe I would have punched a hole. If you *ski* into a crevasse and the momentum makes you hit the opposite wall shakehead.gif I don't want to think about it. N