Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiffany, Aeneas, Ellemeham, Buckhorn, Steliko Lookout – 19-20 May 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostMon May 21, 2012 8:51 pm 
This past weekend Bill H, Stu F, and I had a great time catching up, peak bagging, and power driving. Bill was only in town for about two weeks between extended trips so we only had this weekend to get out. From what we learned, retired life is treating him very well! With the long stretch of good weather predicted to turn by Sunday I started looking for options on the east side. The recent NWHikers TR on Tiffany gave us some good beta on the road conditions to Freezout Ridge so this is where we decided to start our trip. From there we headed east and north in route to another 2k prominence peak then car camped in Oroville at a road side RV park just north of town. We woke Sunday to overcast but warm weather and visited two more 2K peaks then started the long drive back home. On the way we detoured up the Entiat Valley to visit one more lookout peak just for good measure. As predicted, we were greeted by steady rain just east of Stevens Pass. Another great trip with great friends. Summits: Tiffany Mountain: 8245ft (2766ft Prom) Aeneas Mountain: 5176ft (3327ft Prom) Ellemeham Mountain: 4659ft (3183ft Prom) Buckhorn Mountain: 5602ft (2202ft Prom) Steliko Lookout: 2586ft
Whitehorse on morning drive to Tiffany
Whitehorse on morning drive to Tiffany
Freezeout TH
Freezeout TH
Bill at Freezeout Ridge TH
Bill at Freezeout Ridge TH
Remmel from Tiffany
Remmel from Tiffany
Tiffany BM
Tiffany BM
Tiffany summit
Tiffany summit
Paul, Stu, and Bill on Tiffany
Paul, Stu, and Bill on Tiffany
Freezout Ridge
Freezout Ridge
Aeneas LO
Aeneas LO
Paul, Bill, and Stu on Aeneas
Paul, Bill, and Stu on Aeneas
His and Hers
His and Hers
Mount Bonaparte from Aeneas
Mount Bonaparte from Aeneas
Uplifts East of Aeneas in evening light
Uplifts East of Aeneas in evening light
Hotel Oroville
Hotel Oroville
Bill, Paul, and Stu on Ellemeham
Bill, Paul, and Stu on Ellemeham
Chopaka Mountain from Ellemeham
Chopaka Mountain from Ellemeham
Palmer Lake from Ellemeham
Palmer Lake from Ellemeham
Old homestead near Chesaw
Old homestead near Chesaw
Old Barn outside Chesaw
Old Barn outside Chesaw
Buckhorn Mountain from West of Chesaw
Buckhorn Mountain from West of Chesaw
Paul, Stu, and Bill on Buckhorn
Paul, Stu, and Bill on Buckhorn
Steliko Lookout
Steliko Lookout
Entiant Valley from Steliko Lookout
Entiant Valley from Steliko Lookout

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 21, 2012 8:55 pm 
Nice grabs there fellas! up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon May 21, 2012 9:24 pm 
Love trip reports like this; different areas. I think Buckhorn is the site of a controverial mine. Mulling either the Pacific NW Trail out of Tonasket, or carcamp & dayhiking at Conconully over Memorial weekend. Looks like it'd be OK snow-wise.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue May 22, 2012 4:24 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think Buckhorn is the site of a controverial mine.
It is... but a friend and I found a "back entrance" to Buckhorn Mountain last year, with far less exposure to mining activities and far more legal(esque) approach. Aeneas Mountain has been difficult for some to attain, too, due to a local living near there that can chase people off. I wonder if that was a road walk or a backcountry ascent?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Paul M

Paul M
PostTue May 22, 2012 9:27 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Mulling either the Pacific NW Trail out of Tonasket, or carcamp & dayhiking at Conconully over Memorial weekend. Looks like it'd be OK snow-wise.
The snow level on south facing sides of things is generally 5 to 6k ft from what we could see, depending on how close you were to the crest. On the north facing sides it was lower still and access could still be a problem a while longer. The topography on the NE side of the Cascades, especially near the Canadian border is amazing. Convoluted and steep mountains, mostly bare or sparsely treed. I can imagine what the heart of the cascades would look like if there were no trees. You get a better perspective on how the glaciers, volcanism, and other forces must have violently shaped and molded the landscape. The fact that Aeneas and Ellemeham are the 37th and 44th most prominent peaks in the state with over 3000 ft of prominence yet are only ~5000ft tall is pretty amazing. Aeneas is a cross country project to stay in state land.