Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiffany Mtn 05-17-2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostThu May 17, 2012 10:27 pm 
Had a great hike in the sun today to Tiffany Mtn via the Freezeout Ridge Trail. You can get all the way up Boulder Creek to the Freezeout Trailhead... and not a foot farther... I was the first rig to make it to the trailhead for hiking this year... I have been scouting it the last 3 weeks... lol...
Freezeout Ridge Trailhead
Freezeout Ridge Trailhead
Bald Mtn from Trailhead
Bald Mtn from Trailhead
Road rough in a few spots, but a regular passenger car can also make the trailhead. I had a few chores in the morning, so did not get to the trailhead until 10am. Luckily the snow was still partially frozen and I was able to traverse the ridge with regular hiking boots with steps only sinking a couple of inches in most places. There are old snomobile tracks that are compacted which also helps. The hike along the ridge towards Tiffany was filled with great views...
Tiffany Mtn From Freezeout
Tiffany Mtn From Freezeout
The Goal...  Tiffany Mtn
The Goal... Tiffany Mtn
Along Freezeout trail
Along Freezeout trail
Tiffany Mtn ahead
Tiffany Mtn ahead
Clark Peak from Freezeout Trail
Clark Peak from Freezeout Trail
Near Tiffany trail fork looking south at Baldy
Near Tiffany trail fork looking south at Baldy
Clark Peak
Clark Peak
Bald Mtn from Freezeout Trail
Bald Mtn from Freezeout Trail
Chewuch Basin and Cascades
Chewuch Basin and Cascades
Looking West
Looking West
Looking Back To Trailhead And Road
Looking Back To Trailhead And Road
Fork To Tiffany Mtn
Fork To Tiffany Mtn
Took a break at the trail fork before the final climb up the trail to Tiffany Mtn. There are enough open spots from the fork to the top w/o having to navigate thru any snow drifts... :-)
Tiffany In Background
Tiffany In Background
Cascades In Background
Cascades In Background
Freezeout Ridge
Freezeout Ridge
Reached the top and signed in... Did not even know what the date was.. I put in 16th and it was the 17th... Happens when you are retired... dizzy.gif
More Register
More Register
Tiffany Peak Register
Tiffany Peak Register
A Good Day In The Sun
A Good Day In The Sun
Logged  Into The Register
Logged Into The Register
USGS Benchmark At Tiffany
USGS Benchmark At Tiffany
Spent a couple of hours on top enjoying the views and even a nice nap in the sun... lol...
Looking Southeast
Looking Southeast
Looking At Tiffany Mtn
Looking At Tiffany Mtn
Looking Southeast With Middle Tiffany At Left
Looking Southeast With Middle Tiffany At Left
Cool Snow Cornice On Tiffany
Cool Snow Cornice On Tiffany
Frozen Little Tiffany
Frozen Little Tiffany
Little Tiffany
Little Tiffany
Pasayten In Background
Pasayten In Background
Looking North
Looking North
Little Tiffany Lake Frozen
Little Tiffany Lake Frozen
Looking northwest from Tiffany...  Burning up Eightmile
Looking northwest from Tiffany... Burning up Eightmile
Nap Time Looking South
Nap Time Looking South
About 2:30pm, I headed back down...
Cool Erosion In Rock
Cool Erosion In Rock
When I got back to the trail fork/sign, I put on my snow shoes as the snow had warmed up and you would start breaking thru and postholeing.
My Snowshoe Tracks
My Snowshoe Tracks
Looking east along Freezeout Ridge
Looking east along Freezeout Ridge
Back to the trailhead at about 4pm. What a great day and hike... This is great high country for Spring! hockeygrin.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu May 17, 2012 10:34 pm 
Such a nice hike. up.gif I remember watching the (something) fire from up there. Another time it was icicles on Halloween. Gotta take the kids up this year.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 18, 2012 7:31 am 
Thanks for the TR P. What's all that white stuff? hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RichP

RichP
PostFri May 18, 2012 10:15 am 
Nice! Several years ago I was able to continue on the road all the way to Conconully and then the Iron Gate TH on Memorial Day Weekend. Did it look like there was still a ton of snow after the Freezeout Ridge TH?

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostFri May 18, 2012 10:30 am 
RichP wrote:
Nice! Several years ago I was able to continue on the road all the way to Conconully and then the Iron Gate TH on Memorial Day Weekend. Did it look like there was still a ton of snow after the Freezeout Ridge TH?
Yes, there was a lot of snow after the cattle guard at the Freezeout Tailhead. The road drops back down into a valley there and it is a shaded backside, and then climbs back up towards Tiffany Meadows area. The road to Baldy is at a fork about 3-4 miles earlier than the Freezeout TH. It was open and looked clear for quite a ways up the hill to Baldy Pass, but then looked snow covered near the pass. I have not scouted that one out yet this year... smile.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
RichP

RichP
PostFri May 18, 2012 10:37 am 
Thanks pasayten!

silence

silence
PostFri May 18, 2012 10:44 am 
plez enlighten me .. i've never heard of this mountain ... so did you go in from winthrop or conconully (i had to go to summitpost)? btw .. jealous ..great hike and pix

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostFri May 18, 2012 11:16 am 
From Winthrop... Drive straight thru town (at the 4 way stop) and the road circles around and becomes the East Chewuch Rd... keep going... by the Lake Pearrygin turnoff... by the Chewack River Ranch... and then just BEFORE the bridge that goes back across the Chewuch River, take a right at the paved Boulder Creek Road/Snppark turnoff... Continue on paved road to nice curving concrete bridge over Boulder Creek... mark oodometer here if you wish... you have 15 miles to go... Keep right at the Y after the bridge and this is Boulder Creek Rd (paved for awhile). After about 4 miles or so of paved rd, bear right at Y (do not go up First Butte Rd) and drop a little to cross a small bridge... dodge little downed tree... pavement ends... Dirt road continues to follow Boulder Creek drainage... After about 10 miles, bear left at Y and cross cattle guard and continue up this creek which goes to Freezeot TH and Tiffany Meadows... Do not go right where the road crosses a bridge and doubles back which is the Baldy Pass/Conconully Rd. About 4 more miles to Freezeout TH and cattle guard area to turnaround and park. Snow prevents further travel anyway. Will be a total of about 15 miles from the start/beginning at the bottom at the Boulder Creek curved concrete bridge where you may have set your odometer to the Freezeout TH. Less than a 3 mile hike to an 8200ft mountain... biggrin.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
silence

silence
PostFri May 18, 2012 5:29 pm 
thx for the directions!!!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 18, 2012 5:31 pm 
up.gif Nice, pretty awesome to be able to get up there all ready. Time to start heading North.

Living in the Anthropocene
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri May 18, 2012 8:17 pm 
Mmm, very nice. up.gif I need to get up to Tiffany this year.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostSun May 20, 2012 5:23 pm 
Nice!!! Has anyone on here gone to Middle Tiffany and Rock Mountain from the ridge that connects Tiffany and Clark. Maybe drop down to Honeymoon pass and head northeast? How is the terrain?

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostSun May 20, 2012 9:35 pm 
beaudaddy wrote:
Nice!!! Has anyone on here gone to Middle Tiffany and Rock Mountain from the ridge that connects Tiffany and Clark. Maybe drop down to Honeymoon pass and head northeast? How is the terrain?
I have not done that route, but after the snow clears from the backside of Tiffany and the trail to Honeymoon would be open, it looked not too difficult to head up the ridge slope at the pass to Rock and Middle Tiffany. I had looked at that as a possibility last July 26th, 2011 when I hiked Tiffany. Never posted pictures for that trip... Thinking the more common route is to come in from the Tiffainy Lake TH... :-)

Happy Trails... pasayten
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue May 22, 2012 7:05 am 
beaudaddy wrote:
There is an old stock driveway that drops to Honeymoon pass from the saddle north of Tiffany summit; it also provides easy access to Little Tiffany lake. Cross-country travel to Rock and middle Tiffany is through open grasslands. One can also access the Mutton Creek trail from Whistler pass via an old lookout trail leading south off of Tiffany summit. Easy and beautiful loop. See TR for more detail. Thanks for the report and pictures of a favorite place Pasayten!

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 22, 2012 7:09 am 
Headed to Tiffany this summer to do a tour of fire ecology; of all the fires around there, biologists are excited about Tiffany's recovery. Thanks for the photos.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert