Forum Index > Trail Talk > Over Protective father?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu May 24, 2012 12:08 am 
A few years ago when my boys were 4 & 5, we went to their great grandmothers. Since she wasn't home we went for a walk in the woods by her house. Fast forward to today: they want to know why they can't climb Mt St Helens this summer at the ages of 8 & 9? In the past they have expressed interest in climbing Helens, Adams and Rainier. I personally have always wanted to do the south approach of Adams. This August I have a permit to climb Helens with a friend and his friends. The problem is that my kinder are complaining that they are not going with me. Despite the fact that they HATE walking through the woods, they love the peaks more than anything(mini-peak baggers). If anyone here knows where Council Bluffs is; my youngest knows it as four mountains(Rainier, Helens, Adams and Hood) and there is a lake to swim in at the bottom. I love walking through the forest with nothing but my thoughts and the occassional experience of being creeped out by an unfamiliar sound! I'm blessed with kinder that love the outdoors more than myself. But how do we tame this love of the outdoors that we don't want to tame?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu May 24, 2012 12:45 am 
I am immediately reminded of this, this, and this.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu May 24, 2012 9:03 am 
Tell them they are just not ready for it yet, but if they prove themselves on such and such a trail without complaining, then when they get to such and such a age you'll take them to the top of st helens. Give them a reason, a goal, and something to look forward to. Consider yourself lucky though. A lot of friends have the 15-18 year olds that they really wished would go hiking with the old man, but the kids have zero interest. it's a great problem to have.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 24, 2012 9:19 am 
Tell them you will take them next spring if they get in shape this summer. It is a long hike and tiring, but kids often have reserves we adults don't have. Additionally, I would not take a kid up after the snow has all melted off. There is just too much silica dust for kids to be exposed to once the snow is gone. Take them in the spring, IMO. Secondly, don't put this off too long. If they are denied too long, their interests will be forced to find another outlet and they may not be interested when they get to be 15 and 16 years old. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
iron

iron
PostThu May 24, 2012 10:36 am 
200 years ago, kids that age were out hunting deer and other animals for the duration of the day without "supervision." i say, let 'em rip.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostThu May 24, 2012 10:59 am 
When my niece was 7 I took her to Baker & Shasta, on Baker I took her to the edge of the Easton glacier roped up and had her look into a crevasse. On Shasta we camped at tree line we hiked up to 10,000' at that point altitude & fatigue took over and we turned around. She grew up and hasn't hiked since and that's ok (car camps now) but I'm glad to have taken her and gave her the experience to take with her. If I had 8-9 yr old I'd consider Adams. make it a two day so even if you only get as far as lunch counter you and them will get the feel of a big MT. and they will feel the effects of altitude and the work involved to trudge up the big one. Make em carry their own stuff and go during prime weather conditions,mid June/July The only safety issue I can think of would be descending in the 1000' glissade from the false summit. It's usually a deep trough 2-3' deep from so many people. Have them sit behind you with legs wrapped around the waist of the person in front and you control the speed going down. This might sound unorthodox and you won't find the technique in freedom of the hills but it occurs to me because that's similar to how I got my 118lb dog down the chute and it worked well. Maybe practice on lesser slopes around camp. If they were older then I'd have them descend themselves if they'd been train to use an ice ax. I think kids and dogs are similar in coaxing up & down a mountain. for dad its 24/7 safety but the trying alone can be priceless, just know when its time to turn around. Bensons big day

hikes and climbs with malamute
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu May 24, 2012 1:11 pm 
Do not quell a desire by your children. You will be there for their safety. Take them.

Art is an adventure.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm 
I'd suggest either a second (experienced) adult willing to help one of the kids, or taking one of the kids at a time. Other than that, I'd go for it! Give the kids some instruction first. At age 9 I climbed to the first saddle of Wyoming's Grand Teton. Of course I didn't know what I was doing, and neither did my parents! We did have a park ranger with us.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm 
The first time I climbed Adams (South side) there was a family from Yakima of about 5 kids including a 6 year old. They all made it. I agree with Iron, let em rip, and if they don't make it the first time they might be aching to do it the next time even more.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon May 28, 2012 7:35 pm 
I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I have been stressing out about our proposed five day backpacking trip this summer. Our biggest plan is; I have planned a 5 mile backpack to just below treeline. For the next three days we can day hike to three different locations above treeline. On the last day, we will hike out. I also do not promise my boys anything. I do this for a selfish reason, I work two jobs ~ one to pay the bills and one to pay for hiking equipment! Hulksmash thank you for those links. At times, I do feel like I'm pushing my boys. On the other hand, I feel that I might be holding them back. How do we balance pushing them forward and holding them bach?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon May 28, 2012 8:36 pm 
I did St. Helens with my dad when I was 8 or 9 (don't remember which) and I was always like 100 feet ahead of him. It's not an overly difficult hike for kids that age.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostMon May 28, 2012 9:06 pm 
mustang sal

mustang sal
PostThu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 am 
My kids are now in their early twenties and both love the mountains/climbing/hiking. I have climbed both Adams and St. Helens and think St. Helens is the better climb for children. I don't think your kids are too young to try. That said, I would spent a couple of week-ends this summer doing some hard hikes to see how they do. Try Hannegan Mt. It is a long hike with elevation and views. When my 8 year old got to the top he said, "lets party " and proceeded to eat all of the candy. Go up Asgaard Pass and see how they do. I have a list of kid friendly peaks I am willing to share. I think whoever suggested to take another adult is right on because what if something happens to you?

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Jun 07, 2012 9:56 am 
Finding that balance between not pushing your kids, protecting them, and letting them try difficult things is tricky, isn't it? I'd say, support them in their desires to climb St. Helens, but talk to them about training for it first, and use those training hikes and climbs to gauge whether you should do the mountain or not. This can be a double-edged sword; they could see how hard it is to climb a mountain and get discouraged, or they could see how gratifying it is to get to the top. Let them be involved in the planning for these hikes, so they have some investment and power and more motivation. I agree with having another adult along. If one child wants to continue, and one wants to go back, you can take care of both. Be prepared in your mind that they won't want to finish. But give them lots of support - plenty of snacks, abundant water or energy drinks, rest as often as you need. Make sure you have all the necessary safety equipment, first aid kit, extra clothes for them, quality gear for them, etc. They should be able at that age to carry their own spare clothes and at least some of their water. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend you check out Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure by Patricia Ellis Herr. She climbs mountains in NH with her very young daughters. She touches on all of these concerns. You can read an interview I did with her over on my blog: http://wp.me/p2oxMr-8g Good luck! I look forward to seeing where this takes you!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostTue Jan 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Finding that balance between not pushing your kids, protecting them, and letting them try difficult things is tricky, isn't it?
It's extremely difficult, but they manage to survive. We did not scale any volcano's this year but: My boys came a few hundred feet of Mt Angeles in July.
We did a three day backpack on the Oly Coast in July.
We spent three days in the Goat Rocks in August.
ladybug summit
ladybug summit
And the last three days of 2012 were spent in the cold at Rainier!
campsite
campsite
The balance is hard to find. I tell them that they can climb Rainier (despite their dad having no intention) and that they can walk that trail from Mexico to Canada (despite their dad having no intention). I can honestly say that my boys gave it their best effort in 2012.