Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpack recomendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost1972

timberghost1972
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 pm 
Hi all. I'm hoping to get some recomendations or opinions on some backpacks. Right now I have a Kelty Trekker 4300 external that I have used only one time. I've had this pack for 7 years but just got to use it. I didn't like it much especially off trail so now I am looking to get an internal frame pack. (It's now for sale if anyone is interested). Anyways what I am looking for is a pack built for shorter torso bodies and between 80-100 liters and carries good with 30-50 lbs. My torso is about 16.5- 17" and I am 5'8" and 175 lbs. The packs I am eyeballing are the Kelty Red Cloud and Coyote, the Deuter packs (can't think of the models right now. ACT lites I think) and then the Cabelas brand XPG 80 or 100. Does anyone have experience with these or have some other suggestions before I go and try them on? Thank You for any help.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schryder

Schryder
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Prior to getting our packweight down I had a Cabela's backpack that could have carried a tank. It was pretty comfortable but definitely not ultralight (I seem to recall like 7 pounds!). It looked a bit like those XPGs, but it probably isn't related much. The ULA Catalyst might work for you, 75 liters and max recommended weight of 40 pounds. I've been super happy with my Circuit which fits and carries better than any other backpack I've ever had. You can order different sizes of torso length and waist belt which helps dial it in: http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp Carl

caver

caver
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 pm 
I know it's not on your list but I received my new ULA Circuit today. I'm so impressed with this pack that I'm thinking about sell my Aether to make room for a Catalyst. This pack rocks up.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 am 
Consider lightening up some of your other gear before shopping for a new backpack. It's a lot more fun--and a lot easier on your joints--to carry 25-30 lbs. instead of 50! Good articles here in the left-hand column.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 9:50 pm 
You'll get a better fit if you pack up all your other gear and take it to the stores with you. Try to make appointments with their most experienced backpack fitters if you can. Try on as many different packs as possible. Backpack fit is much like shoe fit--very individual. It has to fit the load that goes in it, it has to fit you and it has to be comfortable for you with the load you put in it. That's why I don't recommend packs--it's like recommending shoes without having a foot to fit them onto! Also, check the websites of the pack manufacturers to find the maximum suggested load. IMHO, subtract 5 pounds from that.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Laural

Laural
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 pm 
If you aren't interested in lightening your load, the Osprey packs have great suspension. 50lbs feels like 30lbs!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 pm 
If you have a short-ish torso, take a look at the Gregory packs--they seem to fit short torsoes well.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
timberghost1972

timberghost1972
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 pm 
Thanks for all the advice so far. I was able to find the Kelty Red Cloud 90 in M/L which is for 17.5"-21". They did not have the S/M to try which fits 14.5"-18.5". I measured my torso again and I get around 18.5"-19.5" so I am right in the middle. The pack felt great and has all the features I want with the layout I like compared to other packs. Only thing is the shoulder straps don't seem to curve over my shoulders and sit around 2" below the shoulder. Strange because I had it adjusted to 17.5". I really like this pack so I may order the S/M and compare the two. Now that I think about it maybe I didn't have the belt low enough on my hips.