Stewardship
/History 

Gear
/Food/Photo

Support
/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Full Moon Saloon -> Wha' happened?  Saloon?  Amazon?
Previous :: Next Topic  
zephyr
aka friendlyHiker

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's like running down a familiar hallway (or maze) and reaching for the Saloon door and suddenly finding myself in Amazon land.   dizzy.gif  ~z
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Tom
Admin

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 pm   

We've added an option to support NWHikers when you shop at amazon.  Edit: thanks for your feedback on placement - link has been replaced with a small amazon icon on the top row.  Feel free to click on it to purchase anything at amazon and a portion of your purchase will support NWHikers.net!  Normally we would encourage users to use a cash back portal like ebates, fatwallet, etc. to earn cash back on online purchases.  However, amazon is unique in that few (if any) portals offer cash back for amazon so... why not support NWHikers.net?  Also, if you want to double your support you can purchase gift cards at amazon via that link, load them into your account, then use that amazon credit for your purchases (using the shopping link) which would also support the website!

Edit:  as of July 2012, ebates and fatwallet now offer cash back at Amazon in limited categories.  You may want to use ebates or fatwallet in those categories, and use our link in categories where you don't earn cash back.  When you use our link you support the website by roughly 6% (pre-tax).

The idea is to allow people to support this website with something they already do at no cost to them (please don't change where you shop or how much you spend, that is not the intent)!  All proceeds will go to supporting this website. We could do a lot of interesting stuff with the funds raised, from socials to adding features folks have been asking for, without asking for handouts.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:26 pm   

I'm not a huge fan of it being up with the forum buttons up top. I wonder if you could gently campaign to make sure members know about the option and then move it out of the array of forum buttons.

I think that solution would serve everyone as well without putting it right in with the buttons.

--------------
www.allisonoutside.com

follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:47 pm   

I hardly ever buy stuff on Amazon but I will start trying harder right now.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
zephyr
aka friendlyHiker

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:51 pm   

Okay, okay.  Well, I certainly want to support NWHikers, but I need to ask a dumb question at this point.  I don't like agglomerating my web activity via Google, Facebook, etc.  So are y'all now linked to Amazon in a way that feeds back into NWHikers's database?  So if I was to shop on Amazon via this new link you've set up, then all my purchases report back to this site?  Ya' know--the privacy thing.  It does matter to some of us.  And I tend not to think so, but I want to hear it from you nonetheless.  ~z

P.S.  Oh, and my post title.  I see what you did there.   wink.gif
Tom
Admin

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:44 pm   

Good question / concern about privacy.  When you click on the link it has our information in it so amazon knows you came from NWHikers.net.  If you purchase something we get paid a referral:

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/landing/referralfees.html

We don't track who clicks on our link so have know way of knowing who purchased what.  I don't believe amazon gives us information to identify you personally, but it looks like we would get the following reports:

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/landing/reporting.html

Magellan wrote:
I hardly ever buy stuff on Amazon but I will start trying harder right now.

No need to do that.  But if you do shop at amazon, we're giving you the option to support this website at no cost to you.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Redwic
Jack Of All Hikes

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:19 am   

I have to agree with Allison on this one.

I have no problem with spreading the word and showing the link, but having the "Shop at Amazon" in the same row as the "Trail Talk", "Trip Reports" and "Saloon" sections is annoying. If nothing else, it makes everything too crowded.

Please put the Amazon link above or below that main row.

--------------
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." -Atticus Finch
RayD
the griz ate my pass

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 am   

I agree with Redwic.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:11 am   

I'm going to go against the grain so far and say that the modified button at the top right doesn't bother me in the least.

I buy music through Amazon pretty frequently.  Not sure how much this website would get off a $0.99 song purchase or a $6.99 album purchase but I'll try to remember to do it through that link.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:22 am   

I buy soooo many Kindle books, I'll try to remember to get them here instead of through my reader. up.gif

--------------
trailsnail.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Visit poster's website
Tom
Admin

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 am   

Thanks for the feedback.   Perhaps on smaller screens it looked too crowded but on my screen there was lots of room.

Ingunn wrote:
I buy soooo many Kindle books, I'll try to remember to get them here instead of through my reader. up.gif

A better way to do that would be to use the link to buy amazon gift cards and load them into your amazon account.  It's super easy and gives you the option to still download books via your kindle and support NWhikers.  Of course, if you wanted to double your support, you could also use our link when you purchase books or anything with the amazon credit in your account.  You can double dip with this.
mike

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 am   

Not too crowded Tom but not very noticeable either. I had no idea what it was for and don't usually click without knowing. I suggest an Amazon logo with explanatory text on mouse-over, e.g. "Help support nwhikers by clicking through"
fourteen410

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:45 am   

mike wrote:
I suggest an Amazon logo with explanatory text on mouse-over, e.g. "Help support nwhikers by clicking through"

I think this is a great idea and think it would be great for people who are new to the site, find it helpful, and would like to give back. There are a lot of people out there who would like to help NWHikers and if you have a link on the front page that says "help support NWHikers...", it makes your (good) intentions more clear. Someone who is new to the site will have to find this thread to know what the shop button does.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 am   

Yep, that is a great idea--the button should look different and be in a different location than the topics, and by putting "help support..." the button explains itself.  up.gif

--------------
www.allisonoutside.com

follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tom
Admin

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:21 pm   

OK, I put a link on the front page (note revised Support & Feedback forum description).  I think if I put it anywhere else people will have the same issues about it being too distracting.  I don't think it hurts to leave the shop link at the top right as a reminder but let me know if you guys think there would be a better place for it.

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Full Moon Saloon -> Wha' happened?  Saloon?  Amazon? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
  Happy Birthday JVT!

Jump to: