Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey Customer Service
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 pm 
Ok a couple of weeks ago on a hike my left strap basically tore out of the pack on my Osprey Kestrel 32. The pack was 4 or 5 years old and had seen lots of use. Hearing about their great customer service I decided to investigate getting it fixed. The web site has a form you fill out then you get an RMA number to return the pack for repair. I was only hoping to get the strap repaired so I could continue to use the pack. I even stressed when I filled out the form that the pack had seen a lot of use and I just wanted to be able to use it again. I got a phone call today from Colorado. They said my pack was not repairable and were going to send me a new pack but wanted to offer me a choice of colors since the colors on this years model were not quite the same as the pack I had. Now that's how you get a customer for life. The funny thing is I had bought a replacement on sale at REI before my old one broke just because I loved the pack so much. So if you have an Osprey and your pack fails (even after years of use), they've got you covered. You hear such stories but I guess until it happens personally you always wonder a little. Now I don't have the replacement pack yet but I don't have any doubts it will be sent.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jun 07, 2012 6:13 pm 
Wow! Impressive customer service.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
iron

iron
PostThu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 pm 
i've sent my daypack in for 3 different repairs over the past 5 years. no questions asked. always prompt and durable repairs. very happy with the customer service there. the packs, well... that's another topic.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 am 
I don't have any experience with their customer service but I am in love with my Osprey daypack I bought used a few months ago.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 am 
iron wrote:
i've sent my daypack in for 3 different repairs over the past 5 years. no questions asked. always prompt and durable repairs. very happy with the customer service there. the packs, well... that's another topic.
Well based on the types of trips you do I suspect you might be a lot harder on packs than us mere mortals... lol.gif I had that pack close to 5 years with a lot of miles on it and it finally failed.... Then again I'm pretty much a trail day hiker.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jun 08, 2012 1:19 pm 
tigermn wrote:
So if you have an Osprey and your pack fails (even after years of use), they've got you covered. You hear such stories but I guess until it happens personally you always wonder a little.
Good to know. I bought an Osprey a couple years ago, and I'd heard that their customer service was excellent, as is their equipment, so presumably one won't ever need to find out. But, it's good to know, thanks.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
popzeus

popzeus
PostFri Jun 08, 2012 3:24 pm 
I also recently had a good experience with Osprey, although not as cool as getting a new pack. I bought one of their reservoir systems. The drinking tube head has a magnet on it that connects to a little clasp that you can install on the sternum strap of your pack. It is a nice feature that keeps the tube from flopping around as you walk. Either mine didn't come with the strap or (probably more likely) I threw it out with the packaging. I emailed Osprey customer service about the possibility of ordering another one and they sent me one for free, no questions asked via two-day mail. I realize it is probably a ten cent part, but this is the kind of thing that speaks volumes about a companies desire to do right by their customers.

Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostSat Jun 09, 2012 9:42 pm 
iron wrote:
What do you find at fault with their packs? What do you use now? (Blunt questions but asked in curiosity, not in retaliation... I still haven't figured out what kind of pack I feel most comfortable using.)

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 pm 
That cute little magnet does a good job, BUT it plays havoc with a compass, which you are generally trying to read in the same proximity as the magnet. I contacted Osprey about this, suggesting that maybe it wasn't a very well thought out design. They replied they were keeping the design, but they could send me a version without the magnet for free "upon request". They did. No charge. No more am I always facing north, no matter which way I turn.
popzeus wrote:
I also recently had a good experience with Osprey, although not as cool as getting a new pack. I bought one of their reservoir systems. The drinking tube head has a magnet on it that connects to a little clasp that you can install on the sternum strap of your pack. It is a nice feature that keeps the tube from flopping around as you walk. Either mine didn't come with the strap or (probably more likely) I threw it out with the packaging. I emailed Osprey customer service about the possibility of ordering another one and they sent me one for free, no questions asked via two-day mail. I realize it is probably a ten cent part, but this is the kind of thing that speaks volumes about a companies desire to do right by their customers.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 8:49 pm 
The other option is to just use a camelback or other bladder. It works fine in the pack. I just run the tube through a loop on the strap and it doesn't flop around, or at least it isn't bothersome or even something I think about when hiking. Just always had camelback bladders going back to the days of cycling when they first came out and weren't very popular. lol.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 am 
Well the replacement pack arrived today!