Forum Index > Gear Talk > Pairing Snow Peak LiteMax Ti stove with Jetboil cup -Update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 25, 2012 5:16 pm 
One of my hobbies has evolved into modifying gear to make it lighter (and smaller) while retaining 100% of its safety and functionally. My latest experiment is to pair a modified Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium 1.9 oz stove with a modified JetBoil aluminum cup with wind screen/heat exchanger on bottom. First I took the flip-out feet off the Snow Peak pot stand to make it fit into the bottom of the JetBoil cup. Next I had to cut the bottom fold off the JetBoil cup so the LiteMax would fit inside the flux-ring. Then to make the whole system smaller and lighter I cut the cup down to 600 ml. The cup and stove together weight 5.3 oz. The Snow peak burner is slightly closer to the cup bottom than the Jetboil burner but there is plenty of space.
Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium with feet off
Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium with feet off
JetBoil cup before modification
JetBoil cup before modification
JetBoil cup with bottom rim cut off
JetBoil cup with bottom rim cut off
Finished product
Finished product
I have tested it twice up on the top of Saddle rock in the windiest spot I could find. Both times it brought 10 oz of water to a rolling boil in around a minute and a half. The canister remained stone cold. It seems to have been a success. An added benefit is that the cup will still work with the original Jetboil system. I welcome any comments or warnings about possible explosion events. Edit - I tested this modified stove/cup setup on a real backpacking trip over the past two days. I boiled water for three different cups of coffee and one homemade freeze dried meal. All that used just under 25 grams of fuel from a small Jetboil canister. The only issue I had with the cup was lifting it off the stove with just a gloved hand. The Jetboil cup is a large diameter and slick without the rubber cozy. I had to grip it real tight to keep it from sliping out of my hand. I may cut the cozy down or fold it down double and put it back on the cup. The other alternative would be to use a pot grabber.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kite

kite
PostFri May 25, 2012 5:23 pm 
How stable is the pot on the stove?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 25, 2012 5:30 pm 
kite wrote:
How stable is the pot on the stove?
Actually the Snow Peak burner feet fit exactly up into the flux-ring fins and hold firm. When water reaches a boil just pick the cup straight up and gently wiggle it off the stove. I did not use plastic feet on the fuel canister but still the whole system seemed quite stable.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri May 25, 2012 6:56 pm 
I'm sure plenty of people here will tell you those Jetboils are garbage. wink.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
This is the product Jetboil should have been making all along. Add a minimalist wooden handle, just enough to lift the pot, and you've really got something.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm 
The water boiled so fast the cup was hot but not that hot. I could pick it up with a normal pair of hiking gloves. Remember, 10 oz of water in a cup of that diameter is rather shallow and has a larger surface area to grab heat from the spreading out flame. Also, you can get a small Aluminum cup grabber that is only an ounce or so.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon May 28, 2012 1:13 pm 
HTT, your modification looks good. Please give us a long term report after a few trips and canisters of gas!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 28, 2012 4:13 pm 
Schenk wrote:
HTT, your modification looks good. Please give us a long term report after a few trips and canisters of gas!
Will do. BTW, you can use the LiteMax stove with a JetBoil cup without modifying either one. The stove burner feet will fit up into the JetBoil flux ring if you maneuver one foot in at a time. And the feet will fit firmly between the fins without taking the extension arms off the feet. If you use it that way the cup is on the stove to stay until you maneuver it back out. The advantage of that configuration is that you can pick the whole thing up by the canister and pour water out without worrying about the cup falling off. I just did the modification to make it easier to use and lighter.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 7:38 pm 
update posted above.