Forum Index > Gear Talk > MYOG sleeping pad sleeve?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HCA

HCA
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 5:35 pm 
Hey all, I've been using my Marmot Sawtooth down bag for the past few seasons and while I do love it, I'm tired of waking up with only 1/2 my body on the sleeping pad. I have gotten the bug to try and add my own sleeping pad sleeve to the bag. I have decent sewing skills, but with the down already in the bag, I'm wondering if there isn't a type of glue that would suit me better? Looking at using silnylon or cuben for the project. Anybody done something similar or added their own stuff to an already completed down bag? Any help appreciated. Thanks! Mike

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 5:44 pm 
My inclination would be to play with heavy-duty Velcro. Sew-on on the bag, adhesive on the pack. I haven't done this, but I sew a lot.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm 
My spouse made a bag coupler for our Marmot Wind river bag. She used nylon for the couping sheet. made some pockets at the top and bottom and a strap in the middle. We found compatible zippers so we did not have to alter the sleeping bag itself. Even though it's not attached to the bag I could take some photos of it and post them if you wish...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm 
Making a sleeping quilt from a mummy bag is not rocket science. Best if the down thickness is the same top and bottom.

HCA

HCA
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 am 
That is a good idea about the Velcro I may try to go that route. I could probably use three velcro'd straps instead of going the silnylon route to help keep the pad centered. Now my wheels are turning... wink.gif I don't want to make a quilt out of the bag and don't want to do any cutting on it. The inside of that bag is too comfy for me to want to sleep directly on my sleeping pad with nothing in between me and the pad. Mike

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
So, you are talking about stabilizing the sleeping bag and rolling inside of it? Or are you a back sleeper?

HCA

HCA
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm 
Just talking about adding some containment straps to the bottom side of the sleeping bag to keep my sleeping pad underneath me. I sleep on my back and side, but I tend to move a lot and often times wake up in the morning with my sleeping pad only halfway under my bag. Hope this makes sense? Mike

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 6:10 pm 
I ask because mummy bags -- when in full mummy mode -- are designed to roll with you. You can roll inside a mummy bag when you're not mummied up, but if you don't mummy up why have a mummy bag? I've experienced your problem of rolling off the pad. I'm sure many other NWHikers have too. REI tried this as a solution and I tried a DIY version of the same thing years ago, but with so so results. The REI reviewers seem to like them That sort of design is likely the best bet to do what you want to do. I finally solved my problem by getting a bag with a pad sleeve, sorta like a Big Agnes. (Mine is a discontinued FF bag that I highly modified; pad sleeve is very similar to the Big Agnes design.) I love it. I have a full mummy bag for winter. Thinking of modding my custom eVent FF Vireo into a quilt eek.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 9:36 pm 
Another thing you can try is sleeping with your pad INSIDE your bag. Didn't work for me, but worth trying.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
HCA

HCA
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
BigSteve, yeah I'm just thinking about adding that big Agnes style sleeve to my existing bag. The reason I have a mummy bag is to save weight over a full size bag, and to reduce the amount of space my body needs to keep warm. Im terribly busy right now but we'll see what I can come up with when I get to it. Don't want to spend $ on a new bag, mainly wanting to see how creative I can get. Mike

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 am 
HCA wrote:
he reason I have a mummy bag is to save weight over a full size bag. . . .
Not sure what you mean by this. Isn't the Marmot Sawtooth is a full-sized mummy bag? It's relatively heavy. If you sew in a pad sleeve, won't you be adding weight to an already heavy bag? One advantage of pad sleeve bags (e.g., Big Agnes) is that they eliminate redundant insulation -- down insulation squashed under your body weight is worthless. If you want to roll inside your bag and go lightweight, get rid of the down and baffling underneath you, right?

HCA

HCA
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 am 
What I meant was to save weight over a full size square sleeping bag that many people use for car camping or I've known people who backpack out of them. I know the marmot isn't the lightest or greatest bag out there, but thats not what I started this post about. I don't want to end up cutting into this bag, if this is something that I don't like I want the bag to still but fully functional. Never used a quilt and don't really plan on it. I like to be enclosed in my sleep system with a full zipper. I don't really care if my bag rolls with me or not. I've slept with it slightly open and also zipped all the way up. I like to have the options. Not sure what the point is to all your questions. My question was simple, has anybody added their own sleeve to their existing bag and how they did it? Sorry but I feel like I'm being asked to justify my intentions here. Thanks for the REI link that was helpful. Mike