Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wedge Mt. (A Peek into the Enchantments) 6/10/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 8:23 pm 
It had been a few years since I had been up FS Rd. 7305 off Mt. Home Rd. (I even made it up there in a VW Jetta once.) Those days are gone. shakehead.gif The Xterra in 4WD handled the clearance fine today. I don't know if it was the recent rains, but the road is rutted badly. In any case, even if you park down lower and walk the flower-lined road, the payoff is worth it. The "trail" is short, just over a mile and a half to the ridgeline from the end of the road TH.
"Unofficial" Trail
"Unofficial" Trail
Wedge and Ridge-line in Sight
Wedge and Ridge-line in Sight
Allen Creek Meadows
Allen Creek Meadows
Views to the East
Views to the East
The upper end is snowy, with lots of of "punch-through" moments. dizzy.gif
Where others have gone
Where others have gone
Still Lots of Snow Up High
Still Lots of Snow Up High
Almost to the Ridge
Almost to the Ridge
I aimed for the ridge, not the true summit of Wedge, but the lunch views were just fine, accompanied by a family of aggressive chipmunks. paranoid.gif
McClellan, Little A, Dragontail, Temple, Cannon
Big Time Views
Big Time Views
Snow Lakes
Snow Lakes
Little Annapurna
Little Annapurna
McClellan
McClellan
Gregory - Fury 16
Gregory - Fury 16
With binoculars, I tracked the progress of climbers on Cannon.
2 specks on the right snow shoulder (NW Hikers?)
2 specks on the right snow shoulder (NW Hikers?)
Climbers on top of Cannon
Climbers on top of Cannon
A great outing: No ticks, no bears, no wedgies! eyes.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
holy cow! that's a gorgeous view.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 9:46 pm 
Nice beta for anyone doing the Enchantments this last weekend of open permit season. Just to the left of where you are standing is the boot path to Nada Lake that allows you to cut off about six miles of that "deleted" Snow Lakes trail. Good work. up.gif
Get Out and Go wrote:
Big Time Views
Big Time Views

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 pm 
Huh? The Snow Lake trail has been "deleted"? Looks like there's still plenty of snow up in the basin. And I'd like to try that shortcut descent because it would feel like parachuting down to Nada Lake. Agree with the awesomeness of the views from Wedge. You don't even need to get on the summit to get the full effect.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 4:24 pm 
deleted == expletive deleted

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Very cool. up.gif The distance makes it kid friendly. Anyone got easy directions to Mountain Home Road? Yes, I know how the Google works...

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 8:57 pm 
Magellan, Ragman & Rodman's TR has good road and trail maps for Wedge here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7983454&highlight= Hit the Trail, as for the "short-cut", I've looked down a couple possible gullies a few times from up there and thought, "Yea, it's doable, but is it worth it?" It's almost an hour to drive up there, an hour hike up to the ridge and probably an hour of brush-bashing, creek-crossing, and route-finding down to Nada Lake. You're still left with a return back up and then down to your vehicle. Sounds more adventure than short-cut. dizzy.gif ...... A few years ago, I heard of a McClellan 1-day summit outing via Wedge that took 16 hours, dark-to-dark. uhoh.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:13 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Hit the Trail, as for the "short-cut", I've looked down a couple possible gullies a few times from up there and thought, "Yea, it's doable, but is it worth it?" It's almost an hour to drive up there, an hour hike up to the ridge and probably an hour of brush-bashing, creek-crossing, and route-finding down to Nada Lake. You're still left with a return back up and then down to your vehicle. Sounds more adventure than short-cut. dizzy.gif ...... A few years ago, I read a TR on a McClellan 1-day summit outing via Wedge that took 16 hours, dark-to-dark. uhoh.gif
Whoa...calm down. It's just an option. You have someone drop you and then go out Aasgard, Crystal or Snow Lakes. People do that sort of thing all the time.

Soccer_Dad

Soccer_Dad
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Very cool. up.gif The distance makes it kid friendly. Anyone got easy directions to Mountain Home Road? Yes, I know how the Google works...
Look at https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7975979&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 It has the various roads and routes to take, mapped out. Incredible area! I wish I was within 5000 miles of it. I really want to take that path in to Nada/Snow Lakes from there.

b00

b00
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am 
what altitude did you hit snow? what altitude was continuous snow? :>) ps - thanks for the cool t/r

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 9:07 pm 
b00, snow began at about 5600' running up to the ridge at 6200'. I was able to get on a "mini-rib" and piece together a lot of bare ground. I see my route every day from the Hwy2/97 Junction and that snow is going fast!

b00

b00
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
b00, snow began at about 5600' running up to the ridge at 6200'. I was able to get on a "mini-rib" and piece together a lot of bare ground. I see my route every day from the Hwy2/97 Junction and that snow is going fast!
thanks! :>)

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am 
up.gif I haven't been up to Wedge in a long time !

Living in the Anthropocene