Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawkins, Fortune, Ingalls, Not Hinkhouse - [June 9-10 2012]
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm 
Route Proposal
Route Proposal
Ryan and I decided to climb North Ingalls on Sunday. We were prepared to ride bikes but the latest conditions report stated that the road was open. I suggested making the most of our time by adding on Hawkins, Fortune, South Ingalls and Not Hinkshouse. There were also two technical add-on possibilities, Hawkins Thimble and East Ingalls. I drew up a loop route map for Ryan to review. He liked the proposal.
Whiteout
Whiteout
Blowing Snow
Blowing Snow
Lovely Views
Lovely Views
We started at the De Roux trailhead 6:30 am Saturday morning. We made good time on a direct path over the soft snow to south ridge of Hawkins. Light flurries turned into strong wind and sideways snow. Ryan's pack cover blew away. Then we were in a whiteout. I was happy to have my GPS loaded with maps so I could verify our position on the route. We climbed up to a minor false summit and then traversed a short way over exposed icy rock to the true summit. We found the register and signed in.
Hawkins Summit
Hawkins Summit
Judging from all the rime ice, Hawkins Thimble would not be a good option at the moment. It made me wonder about the conditions on North Ingalls the following day. We descended and then traversed around to Gallagher Head Lake. I spotted Ryan's pack cover in the snow about half way down to the lake. My plan for us was to either stay in a large basin southwest of Fortune Peak or somewhere near Lake Ingalls. But the Teannaway had something better in store for us. We stumbled upon a super-secret hunters refuge. It had an iron fireplace installed. Rummaging around we found kindling, firewood, and spiced whiskey.
The Shelter
The Shelter
Toasty
Toasty
Warm
Warm
Staying the night would mean being behind on my planned schedule but how often do you get the chance to have a roaring fire along with shelter from the wind and snow in the backcountry? We agreed to stay. The rest of the afternoon and evening were toasty-warm. We took our time cooking food and relaxing.
Hawkins Thimble
Hawkins Thimble
Hawkins North Face
2 labels
Hawkins North Face
Photo by Ryan
Photo by Ryan
Esmeralda North
Esmeralda North
By Sunday morning the weather had improved dramatically. We packed up our stuff and climbed over the first of two passes on our way to Fortune. The views of Hawkins north face were really impressive. The west ridge of Fortune was not as challenging as it looked from below. There were some rocky icy spots, but easy enough to go around. I couldn't find any register on the summit. We could see South and East Ingalls as well as Stuart and Rainier. East Ingalls looked really icy and the top was covered with new snow. My heart sank a bit with the realization that North Ingalls would probably be just as messed up.
Esmeralda
Esmeralda
Fortune Southwest Face
Fortune Southwest Face
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
Fortune West Ridge
South Ingalls South Face
South Ingalls South Face
We descended a little and then traversed over to the pass between North and South Ingalls. Yep, it was covered with rime ice and snow on the upper pitch. Melt water streaks were starting to cover most of the lower pitches. The cracks were filled in with white. More experienced climbers might give it a try anyway but not us. I told Ryan that it looked like it would be climbable in about 6 hours if we wanted to wait around. neither of us wanted that. I guess we carried rope, pro, and a tent for no reason.
North Ingalls
North Ingalls
North Ingalls Route
North Ingalls Route
We went on to the summit of South Ingalls, our high point of the trip. The register was easy to find. It revealed that we were the first ones up there in 2012. We descended nearly all the way to Ingalls Lake and then traversed over towards Ingalls Pass. Several groups were now making their way into the basin. some branched off for Fortune and others came towards us for South Ingalls. At Ingalls Pass, a lone goat wandered over from Not Hinkhouse Peak and passed by us keeping a fair distance. It was Ryan's first time seeing a goat and only my second time in the Cascades. When we passed by mother and cub bear tracks the first day, we talked about hoping to see a bear or a goat.
Photo by Ryan
Photo by Ryan
Climbing South Ingalls
Climbing South Ingalls
North Ingalls And Stuart
North Ingalls And Stuart
Stuart
Stuart
South Ingalls Summit
South Ingalls Summit
Photo by Ryan
Photo by Ryan
From Ingalls Pass we scrambled up the west ridge of Not Hinkhouse Peak. The rock quality was good and it ranged from Class 2 to 3. We had fun staying near the crest of the ridge where there was more exposure and a couple Class 4 moves which could have been easily avoided. Stuart was in our face when we got to the 4th and final summit. We noticed some massive ladybug orgies on the surrounding rocks. We descended the south ridge to the first little saddle and then dropped down to Esmeralda trailhead. A mile of road walking brought us back to the car around 4pm.
3 Climbers
3 Climbers
Photo by Ryan
Photo by Ryan
Not Hinkhouse Peak
Not Hinkhouse Peak
Rainier And Wildlife
Rainier And Wildlife
Goat Shot
Goat Shot
Hinkhouse West Ridge
Hinkhouse West Ridge
Hinkhouse West Ridge
Hinkhouse West Ridge
Hinkhouse West Ridge
Hinkhouse West Ridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
Looks like a cool trip. Awesome weather yesterday, ehh? We bailed on S. Ingalls yesterday and stuck with Fortune and did a few runs as the snow was prime. Did you happen to see the wolverine wondering/glissading(apparently, did not witness myself)/running around?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 pm 
We saw you ascending Fortune and then later heard you on South Ingalls but we couldn't see where you were. Did you attempt a southern approach? We thought about that but decided not to. It's amazing to hear about a wolverine sighting. We didn't see it ourselves but I hear that they are making a come-back in Washington.

Type E

Type E
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 1:21 pm 
I saw a wolverine on Hawkins when I was there many years ago. I was imp;ressed with the speed which they can move. Looks like a great trip. Neat find to stay out of the weather. Eric

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm 
Good job, guys! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 2:38 pm 
ONELUV1 wrote:
Did you happen to see the wolverine wondering/glissading(apparently, did not witness myself)/running around?
We saw him. Came with in about 30' of me at one point. Very cool.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 3:14 pm 
Good stuff Gimp! up.gif up.gif Congrats to those who saw the wolverine. That is exciting!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
wow, what an awesome trip!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Photo by Ryan
Photo by Ryan
Wonderful trip report. Great decisions and serendipity too. This photo by Ryan makes you look rather special Gimpilator. Nice cloud effects. ~z

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm 
Somebody's going to be really pissed that you put their shelter on the interwebs. Good on you!

Mofro

Mofro
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:17 pm 
There was a lot of trash in and around that shelter last year when we went by it. frown.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Somebody's going to be really pissed that you put their shelter on the interwebs. Good on you!
That's true. I am not so certain it is a hunter's shelter, though. It is probably at least that type of shelter, but I have also known some people who have ventured out that direction for many weeks during Summers & Autumns for gold-panning. We will keep this hush-hush. It's not like there is a lot of people on the Internet. hmmm.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 10:14 am 
I guess you are just going to have save North Ingalls for someone else. AKA. ME!! Awesome trip report and excellent pictures.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 pm 
Redwic wrote:
puzzlr wrote:
That's true. I am not so certain it is a hunter's shelter, though. It is probably at least that type of shelter, but I have also known some people who have ventured out that direction for many weeks during Summers & Autumns for gold-panning. We will keep this hush-hush. It's not like there is a lot of people on the Internet. hmmm.gif
How's this for hush-hush? (47.449583, -120.97446) Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and comments.

BigBear

BigBear
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 4:34 pm 
The shelter is far from secret, its right on the road. I do not know why the FS would let that one stand but they destroy all others.