Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > which device to stream movies?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 9:01 pm 
They just upgraded my rusty wire so looking to stream Netflix. Not planning to pay for anything else. So far I'm looking at these. Any others to consider? Don't plan on buying a new BR player or spending more than 80-100. Hopefully less. Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-NESN NETGEAR NTV200-100NAS NeoTV Streaming Player SONY SMP-N200 Smart Streaming Player Looked at Roku but not excited.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bogart

Bogart
PostWed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm 
We have the WD TV at home, and it works well to stream Netflix. The only caution is that it 'likes' a hard wired connection to your router. We used the wireless setup initially, but got better results with using a cat-5 connection. Only 'complaints' would be the user interface - it is fairly clunky at times. But no issues with it, worked right out of the box. We also share media to it off of a NAS, but that's another story... It is fairly easy to set up network shares with other devices in your home, so you can get music and photos on there pretty easily, too.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am 
I have the WD-TV for Netflix Canada down.gif down.gif (but thats another story) and it works well but the wi-fi with a stick did not seem to work. It does Netflix, facebook, and utube but no Hulu or Pandora in the great white north. Note it will not do general browsing only what it is configured for due to drm, most tvs will not display HD from a computer on HDMI unless you hack them.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am 
I personally would use an xbox 360 or a ps3, but in your price range get a nintendo wii. I heard it will stream netflix on it.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 am 
Thanks, some more info. -I have cat5 so no need for wifi. many WiFi units don't stream HD -I don't plan on paying for any subscription service besides netflix. ...but the more freebies the better. -I'll plug the hdmi into my receiver not the TV -my service is better but still not fast enough for 1080p HD so component jacks could be useful -capability to stream from a NAS, a plus for the WD I guess edit: -no interest in gaming and the units are big + power hogs + $$$ -already have a BR player -haven't seen a Roku player with features I liked but am not opposed...

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 am 
Right now I stream Netflix using my Macbook Pro but it's a bit of a pain setting it up each time. So I'm looking also. What put you off about Roku?

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am 
If you don't already have one, a lot of bluray players will stream netflix and all the other stuff. Should be able to find one under $100. I use a bluray player in one room and PS3 in another for streaming and both work flawlessly. The Wii works great too, but the picture is not HD. Note, not sure if netflix put more movies on streaming since they started charging extra for it, but when it was free with a membership the movie selection was horrible.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 am 
Streaming selection is still poor. I pay for a plan that allows streaming plus DVD. I have a list of movies I can stream and do that when DVD has not arrived. We have a 3 day mail turn around out here in the wilderness. :-)

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am 
BeyondLost wrote:
What put you off about Roku?
Only one model has an RJ45 port, only an hdmi output. Roku 2 XS doesn’t allow networked media sharing and the worst thing, you must set up a Roku acct and give a cc# Price too high given features. down.gif