Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Enchantments under the snow 06.12-13.2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 1:47 pm 
Fletcher texted me at 11 a.m. Tuesday morning, asking me if I want to join him on the adventure to Dragontail peak. Permit season starts on Friday, so it was good time to go there. After hectic reorganizing my things for the day, I got packed, met Fletcher at Park & Ride at 3:30 and we were on our way to Enchantments!!! I never been there before, knew the place only by pictures, so it was interesting to meet Enchanted place in person. We got to Colchuck Lake around 9:00 pm, set up camp, got our diner eaten, and went to sleep around 11. It was cool and little wet at night; we got up at 5:00 a.m. to light clouds and moist air. Within an hour sky in front of us became blue, reviling Dragon Tail in all its glory. Fletcher was really patient while I was taking my time going up to the Aasgard Pass, and glorious views awaited us when we got to the top of the Pass!!! We wondered around Enchantments forward Little Annapurna, after deciding to forgo Dragon Tail Peak, It got windy, but sun was shining on us all day. Enchantments really looked different under the snow from all the pictures I have seen before. We got down to camp on the soft snow in the afternoon, packed and headed down to the car. To finish our trip we stopped for stakes on the way home. It was wonderful first visit for me to Enchantments, I need to come back sometimes when snow is melted out. Thank you Fletcher for the adventure! up.gif
our camp guest
our camp guest
morning clouds
morning clouds
Fletcher on Little Annapurna
Fletcher on Little Annapurna
kity tracks
kity tracks
steak after long day
steak after long day

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm 
It looks like your wish of climbing high is coming true.

Hutch

Hutch
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 2:44 pm 
Nice. Colchuck looks more melted out than I would have expected, actually. Your pictures look a lot like what mine looked like when I did the Chants in mid-July last year.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostThu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm 
RichP wrote:
It looks like your wish of climbing high is coming true.
Yep, I think North Cascades just the right hight for me.... smile.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am 
My last 2 trips this week were to Wedge Mt. and Snow Lakes, just eyeing all that snow up there. It will start looking different quickly up.gif Nice Trip!

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostFri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 am 
Looks beautiful up there, congrats.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Fatal Justice
UW Huskies UW

Fatal Justice
UW Huskies UW
PostFri Jun 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
Wow man thats pretty dam cool. I like your camp guest too up.gif

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else lol
Micropeaks

Micropeaks
PostFri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 am 
My friends and I have 5 day permits for June 30 to July 4. I am wondering how much of a pain it will be to get water from the snowed-over lakes. Don't want to bring extra fuel for melting snow in camp. So how deep is the snow in the Upper Basin on average? Based on your pics, it looks anywhere from 1-3 feet. Could you see any lakes in the Upper Basin up there with exposed water yet? Could you see Vivian from Annapurna with water? As far as travel goes: How firm was the morning snow going up Aasgard? Was it nice and soft on the way down?

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostFri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 am 
Micropeaks wrote:
Could you see any lakes in the Upper Basin up there with exposed water yet?
When we were there we did not see any lakes in the Upper Basin, they were all under the snow, but that was 2 weeks ago. there were some water running from snow melt in places, and we have seen some deep rock tubs with water in them. snow was still deep up there. We were going up Aasgard at around 6-7 a.m. snow was good enough for kicking steps, except one little part near the top that was hard and icy, were we used crampons. On the way down in the afternoon snow was soft and wet. we tried to stay on rocks about 1/3rd of the way up and down. But it have been 2 week ago, and snow is melting fast. (fletcher should off came back from there yesterday. we should see his trip report soon I hope smile.gif ) Sergey

Micropeaks

Micropeaks
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 am 
Thanks for the beta!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 am 
Great stuff Sergio! up.gif up.gif

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm 
Very cool adventure, great photos. I especially like the photo of the steak dinner with the live music in the background! Which restaruant? I'm always looking for recommendations for places to refuel on the way out.

mhomola

mhomola
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 pm 
I'm headed up there with a group July 15-17. I would greatly appreciate a good report from your time up there. We only have time to hike in and set up a basecamp...so I'm hoping to know if there is open water and open camping spots around Leprachan or Perfection Lakes. Also how is the hike in from from the east side? thanks

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 8:02 pm 
Blowdown wrote:
the steak dinner with the live music in the background! Which restaruant?
It is the bar in Sultan, Fletcher knows that place you can ask him for more details. his trip report for same trip: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7998838&highlight= chow.gif

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
mhomola wrote:
I would greatly appreciate a good report from your time up there. We only have time to hike in and set up a basecamp...so I'm hoping to know if there is open water and open camping spots around Leprachan or Perfection Lakes. Also how is the hike in from from the east side?
It was Fletchers trip that he took me on with him, he is much more Knowledgeable about that area, I was just following him along.... cool.gif here is his report from same trip: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7998838&highlight= agree.gif I think he can help you much better then I can.